The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Perception or Reality

Here’s the sitch: Adult mens game; OBR. I’m on the bases in “A” and the Batter hits a ball to F6 who’s deep in the hole. B/R reaches 1st when the throw from F6 to F3 goes wide. B/R makes the turn towards 2nd and then realizes that the wide throw to F3 has hit the fence and bounced directly back to F3 who fields the ball. B/R retreats to 1st, diving back to the bag with dust flying. But the ball is clearly there and F3's glove is down for the easy tag. Should be a “no brainer” out.

However, I’ve got a great angle on the play and it’s clear to me that although F3 has the ball down to make the tag in plenty of time, B/R has slid into 1st avoiding the tag by a couple of inches. The only ones in the whole park who know F3 missed the tag is the B/R and me. I don’t think even F3 believes he missed the tag (but he did).

So here’s the question: Do I call him out (which is what everyone in the park believes is the case) or do I call him safe (which, although correct, is really going to cause a sh*t storm, with both teams thinking I kicked an easy one). Which is more important: perception or reality? I know what I did - What would you do?
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

No matter which way you call it, 50% of those present are going to dislike it.

Therefore go with the truth.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

This is why its important to be in the proper position. Those that want to call what the fans think they see should go sit with them.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
No matter which way you call it, 50% of those present are going to dislike it.

Therefore go with the truth.
Actually, that's not the way it will play out. If I call him safe everyone's going to think I kicked it. It's not like calling a banger where it's a really a close call - There, 50% will hate it and 50% will love it. This one appears to be not close at all. 50% will think I don't know my a** from a hole in the ground and the other 50% will think they got a lucky break from a bad call.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
If I call him safe everyone's going to think I kicked it. It's not like calling a banger where it's a really a close call - There, 50% will hate it and 50% will love it.
Who gives a flying f**k how many people will be happy or think you kicked it? Call what you see.

Umpiring isn't a democratic election.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Maybe next time, you say "SAFE! NO TAG!" or "SAFE! MISSED THE TAG!" that might help. It's similar to when F3 comes off the base, we say, "SAFE! Off the bag!".

Just a thought.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
Quote:
Here’s the sitch: So here’s the question: Which is more important: perception or reality? I know what I did - What would you do?
Quote:
50% will think I don't know my a** from a hole in the ground and the other 50% will think they got a lucky break from a bad call.
My perception of the OP is you want to know how others might think of you, which you suspect may conflict with how you think of yourself, which is your ego.

My perception is taken from the fact that you didn’t give your ruling in the OP; you want others to respond first. I suspect that is what you wanted to happen during the game before you made your call. Also, you have “boxed yourself in” to a lose-lose scenario by yourself perceiving that there are two, and only two, outcomes in which others would respond, both being detrimental to your ego:
1. “50% will think [you] don't know [your] a** from a hole in the ground; and,
2. “[T]he other 50% will think they got a lucky break from a bad call.”

As yawetag and customshirts advise and encourage, officials should call the game in a way that they will get what it is they want out of the game.
1. More games, then call it the way your assignor says;
2. Happy fans on the 3d base side, then call it the way the home team says;
3. Happy fans on the 1st base side, then call it the way the visitors say;
4. Happy defense, then the BR is out;
5. Happy offense, then the BR is safe;
6. Happy play-by-play announcers, then the way the replay camera operators have it;
7. Happy color commentators; forget about it, they think it’s our fault that they’re not still out there;
8. Good night’s sleep, then call it your way.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here’s the sitch: Adult mens game; OBR. I’m on the bases in “A” and the Batter hits a ball to F6 who’s deep in the hole. B/R reaches 1st when the throw from F6 to F3 goes wide. B/R makes the turn towards 2nd and then realizes that the wide throw to F3 has hit the fence and bounced directly back to F3 who fields the ball. B/R retreats to 1st, diving back to the bag with dust flying. But the ball is clearly there and F3's glove is down for the easy tag. Should be a “no brainer” out.

However, I’ve got a great angle on the play and it’s clear to me that although F3 has the ball down to make the tag in plenty of time, B/R has slid into 1st avoiding the tag by a couple of inches. The only ones in the whole park who know F3 missed the tag is the B/R and me. I don’t think even F3 believes he missed the tag (but he did).

So here’s the question: Do I call him out (which is what everyone in the park believes is the case) or do I call him safe (which, although correct, is really going to cause a sh*t storm, with both teams thinking I kicked an easy one). Which is more important: perception or reality? I know what I did - What would you do?
Beyond any shadow of doubt, I would have an out. C'mon. this is an easy one!

Mike C
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

If you want to work a ballgame and have ALL the fans like you, sell peanuts. If you want to work a game and leave with the satisfaction of knowing that you were in proper position to make the correct call and properly educated as to the rules of the game, be an umpire and make the CORRECT call.

So, in this case, call the runner safe and then if the defensive coach comes out to argue, very briefly explain to him that his F3 missed the tag and how he missed the tag. AS OZZY said, an immediate "SAFE, MISSED THE TAG!" would go a long way toward preventing any "sh*t storm".

Last edited by rbmartin; Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 11:43am. Reason: added thought
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
if you want to work a ballgame and have all the fans like you, sell beer.
ftfy.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

On a play where there are 18 people on the field plus your partner expecting the call to go a certain way you better have a good reason why the call defied expectations. A safe "no tag" is one way. On the other hand working your average adult baseball when outs are hard to come by you might want to get this out while you can. Just a thought
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Who gives a flying f**k how many people will be happy or think you kicked it? Call what you see.

Umpiring isn't a democratic election.
If your a politician or media bimbo you would probably take a poll.

If your gonna be an umpire, take Yawetag's advise.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwump View Post
Beyond any shadow of doubt, I would have an out. C'mon. this is an easy one!

Mike C
Count the votes.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Another expected call minion.

Call what you see, not what others want you to see. It is the least you can do to be considered impartial.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

If you're going to make the correct call, on a play like this, you've got to sell it like Oz and Mr. Martin have said. Good umpires learn how to sell a call, when it's not the "expected" one. Plus, on a really close one, you've got to sell the Hell out of it.

Last edited by kylejt; Sun Aug 14, 2011 at 09:37am.
Closed Thread