The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Would u call it

VFW regional game between two county teams. City vs Valley.....bottom of 8th inning score is tied ,7 inning games, runner on third and defense wants to walk the batter. Catcher is informed you must pitch the ball no "free" walks. Catcher hangs the mitt out then procedes to slide out of box while pitcher has the ball. Ump was obviously watching for something else with runner on third. This happened all four pitches where catcher was way out of box ahead of the pitch. Balk or not
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Let it go and / or mention to the catcher not to leave until the pitch. When the rule was put in place, the catcher's box was the foul lines extended.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Did the catcher do anything different from just calling and catching 4 pitchouts? I think a different rule applies when a catcher stands up to signal for an IBB. Why weren't IBBs allowed - is that standard for VFW ball?
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
Did the catcher do anything different from just calling and catching 4 pitchouts? I think a different rule applies when a catcher stands up to signal for an IBB. Why weren't IBBs allowed - is that standard for VFW ball?
The issue was whan the catcher left the box, not that there were no IBB's.

Despite how the rule reads, the catcher can leave the box as soon as the pitcher commits to pitch. (Another anomoly Larry.)
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The issue was whan the catcher left the box, not that there were no IBB's.

Despite how the rule reads, the catcher can leave the box as soon as the pitcher commits to pitch. (Another anomoly Larry.)
Rich, in the OP it sounded as if the IBB mechanic was not allowed (local rule?) I thought a catcher, by OBR, was allowed to leave the box earlier on a pitchout than on an IBB. Maybe in practice, the same latitude is given, but I think there is a subtle difference in the actual IBB rule.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

What rule set does VFW use. I mean with FED, you don't even throw the pitches for an IBB, correct?
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rich, in the OP it sounded as if the IBB mechanic was not allowed (local rule?) I thought a catcher, by OBR, was allowed to leave the box earlier on a pitchout than on an IBB. Maybe in practice, the same latitude is given, but I think there is a subtle difference in the actual IBB rule.
He was trying to say you couldn't just wave the batter to first. I'm reasonably sure FED is the only baseball org that allows the "verbal" IBB.

Then he complained that the catcher was sliding out of the box before the pitcher pitched.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

No, I wouldn't call it. Yes, it's a book rule, however there's no intent to deceive anybody, why pick a fight, let it go. If it bothers you that much, then tell the catcher, hey, do me a favor, stay in the box until he starts his motion. As mentioned before, the catchers box was the base lines extended out, what was it six, eight feet. In the early years, the catcher was prohibited from leaving the box. For an intentional walk, the catchers would set up in the back corners of their box, well outside the strike zone for the walk.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
No, I wouldn't call it. Yes, it's a book rule, however there's no intent to deceive anybody, why pick a fight, let it go. If it bothers you that much, then tell the catcher, hey, do me a favor, stay in the box until he starts his motion. As mentioned before, the catchers box was the base lines extended out, what was it six, eight feet. In the early years, the catcher was prohibited from leaving the box. For an intentional walk, the catchers would set up in the back corners of their box, well outside the strike zone for the walk.
The actual rule (4.03(a ))says the catcher can't leave the box until the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand. That's the source of the complaint.

The original catcher's box went all the way to the fence.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 09:29am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
What rule set does VFW use. I mean with FED, you don't even throw the pitches for an IBB, correct?
VFW uses FED rules in MN. Not sure what happens if/when they get to the national level or even if there is a national VFW tournament.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
VFW uses FED rules in MN. Not sure what happens if/when they get to the national level or even if there is a national VFW tournament.
Unless Legion has changed since last year, most Regional and above playoffs are goveren by OBR rules with Fed FPSL.

Here in La. it is Fed rules during the season or pretty close to them, then OBR and Fed during playoffs. Never got to the playoffs here though because it is wayyyyyyyyy tooooo hot and I am getting way to old to deal with it.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

No I would not call it and I've never called it. I've never heard any complaint from a manger or head coach, either. The only complaints I have ever heard about not enforcing this rule was from rookies, fans and "rule masters" who don't know what they are talking about.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 10:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Unless Legion has changed since last year, most Regional and above playoffs are goveren by OBR rules with Fed FPSL.
Legion actually uses the NCAA FPSR and collision rule.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Game was played under major league rules and want to know what stirred the beehive up.......another coach was in the stands watching game and called the coach in dugout and informed him of said rule.
I was the ump involved and only found this out after the game. I was very aware of the rule as it happened but could not pull the trigger here to end this game this way. By the way they scored the run from third on a hit and won the game.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The actual rule (4.03(a ))says the catcher can't leave the box until the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand. That's the source of the complaint.
Yep, you're right, still not gonna call it. There's still no advantage being won by the defense, there's still the possibillity of bad things happening during the play. I know the rule, it's not worth the fight either during a game or here on this board.

Last edited by justanotherblue; Thu Aug 04, 2011 at 10:49pm. Reason: because I still can't type or spell worth sh**