The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Tee-Ball Question

Hey, guys.

I was at my son's t-ball game this evening at another park. While the umpiring was good, I have one question: Are the concession prices standard throughout the country? If I remember correctly, I got nachos and a soda for about $2.75 at his home park (I let them keep the quarter -- it's all for the kids, right?), but they charged me $3.50 at this park! Needless to say, I kept the $0.50.

So, is there some sort of standard? Also, is this something I can bring up to the umpires either between innings or after the game?

Just wondering. Thanks!
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 03:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Hey, guys.

I was at my son's t-ball game this evening at another park. While the umpiring was good, I have one question: Are the concession prices standard throughout the country? If I remember correctly, I got nachos and a soda for about $2.75 at his home park (I let them keep the quarter -- it's all for the kids, right?), but they charged me $3.50 at this park! Needless to say, I kept the $0.50.

So, is there some sort of standard? Also, is this something I can bring up to the umpires either between innings or after the game?

Just wondering. Thanks!
LMAO!!!

Umpires...kids...you're killin' me!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 08:06am
Administrator

My wife and I just finished a six year stint as co-vice president of concessions for our sons' H.S. athletic boosters organization. We charged $2 for nachos, $1.50 for hot dogs, and $1 for a 12oz can of pop or $1.50 for a 20oz bottle of pop.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, guys.

Just wondering. Thanks!
I think the ground rule is that if it's a hot mom, you let her keep the $0.50
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Hey, OP, since you act like you know everything else I'm sure you already know the answer to this question.

For everyone else, the answer is simple -- when I umpire, I simply do not buy anything (ever) from a concession stand. If I'm offered something (for free), I take it and offer my thanks. If I want water at a field, I bring my own.

So I couldn't possibly care what they charge the parents.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry1953 View Post
i think the ground rule is that if it's a hot mom, you let her keep the $0.50
+1
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, guys.

Just wondering. Thanks!
And it's not even April 1.

Umpires at a Tee-Ball game?
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
And it's not even April 1.

Umpires at a Tee-Ball game?
Becasue he said UmpireS (plural), I'm sure it was probably the Elite Travelling T-Ball team, not just a local in-house league (where one umpire would be used).

That's also probably the reason for the higher prices at the concession stand.

BTW, if yawetag hasn't already figured it out, a margarita in a gatorade bottle looks a lot like lemon-lime gatorade. (Oh -- and to make sure I'm keeping this suitable for this site -- that hint was for the umpires, not for the parents or players.)
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, guys.

Just wondering. Thanks!
  • Why in the hell are there umpires in a Tee-Ball game? Please tell me you are joking?
  • Do you go to an auto enthusiast forum and post umpire questions?

This place is slowly turning into defecation alley!
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 11:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Becasue he said UmpireS (plural), I'm sure it was probably the Elite Travelling T-Ball team, not just a local in-house league (where one umpire would be used).

That's also probably the reason for the higher prices at the concession stand.

BTW, if yawetag hasn't already figured it out, a margarita in a gatorade bottle looks a lot like lemon-lime gatorade. (Oh -- and to make sure I'm keeping this suitable for this site -- that hint was for the umpires, not for the parents or players.)
And vodka looks like water, too.

And those tips are best used when asked to umpire a game involving 6-year-olds and their parents.

(I have a 6-year-old playing machine pitch softball right now. The parents I've sat next to are unreal. No, there are no umpires, and they aren't keeping score. But if the girls don't hit the ball after 4 tries, they bring out a tee. Some of the mothers have called this "the tee of shame." That's when I can use the vodka. Or margarita.)
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, guys.

Just wondering. Thanks!
Yawetag, correct me if I'm wrong but your OP was a tongue in cheek response to the LL Tourney thread, wasn't it?
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

I'm not yawetag but, yes, it was.

JM
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjm (nee coachjm) View Post
i'm not yawetag but, yes, it was.
+1
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 05:31pm
Administrator

Our family has been members of the YMCA since MTD, Jr., was about 18 months old (Andy our other wonderful son, is 3 years younger than Jr.) so our children could learn how to swim at an early age. The YMCA's baseball program starts with T-Ball and YMCA staffers do act as umpires during the T-Ball games. Nothing serious, just make sure that the players run toward the correct bases and such.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio