The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 07:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
Assuming field umpire is in the proper C position, the answer is easy. Unfortunately I gave been seeing the field umpire in the B position more frequently with R1 & R2 as of late.

I do not umpire college baseball (but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, ; I coudn't resist) but I have a couple of friends that do, but they have told me that with runners on 1B and 3B (it does not matter whether the pitcher is LH or RH), if (a) the Batter is RH the BU should be in the B, and (b) if the Batter is in LH the BU should be in the C. The reasoning is that the position of the Batter dictates F3 will more likely attempt a pick-off of the Runner that does not have the Batter between him and the Plate, thereby putting the BU closer to the more likely Runner.

I hope that I didn't confuse anybody, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Jun 26, 2011 at 10:43pm. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 08:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
As I recall, Carl used to defend an "always in B" mechanic, though I seem to remember the claim being that it was no worse than C and easier to teach.

Carl is a propenent of the BU starting in the B position; he calls it Umpiring Mechanics of the 21st Century. Mark, Jr., and I have been doing it all season long in our H.S. games in the Spring and our summer leagues too.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I do not umpire college baseball (but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, ; I coudn't resist) but I have a couple of friends that do, but they have told me that with runners on 1B and 3B (it does not matter whether the pitcher is LH or RH), if (a) the Batter is RH the BU should be in the B, (b) and if the Batter is in LH the BU should be in the C. The reasoning is that the position of the Batter dictates F3 will more likely attempt a pick-off of the Runner that does not have the Batter between him and the Plate, thereby putting the BU closer to the more likely Runner.

I hope that I didn't confuse anybody, .

MTD, Sr.
Not true in 2-person; and an option in 3-person.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

No problem Forest Ump ... Following the little leaguers around and saw this play and wanted to ask that question on this board.

The only reason I asked was because both umpires made the call and each had something different. Was interested to see whose call this was. The BU was standing behind SS when he made the call. Runners were on 1st & 2nd. And the ball hit to SS causing SS to throw to third for the force out. Home plate ump came up the line and signaled safe, BU stayed in his original spot and called out.

They came together and called out, which was not the popular call

Had they called safe ... one might have said: at least they got the play right.

Thanks to all!
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 10:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not true in 2-person; and an option in 3-person.

Bob:

All I can say is this is how it was described to me by a couple of my friends who umpire at the Div. II and III level up here. I am not a college umpire so I cannot comment on it either way.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

For me it all depends on the situation. When there is a R2 and less than 2 outs, I'll normally take the first call and my partner will take the second. And if there is a shot to the outfield and there could be a call at second or third, generally the plate ump will make the call at third.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collint1993 View Post
For me it all depends on the situation. When there is a R2 and less than 2 outs, I'll normally take the first call and my partner will take the second. And if there is a shot to the outfield and there could be a call at second or third, generally the plate ump will make the call at third.
What mechanics book are you using?
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
What mechanics book are you using?
None, Its 12u, 13u, and 14u. And it has always worked for me. It may not be correct for high school or higher levels, but I am 18 and I'm not old enough to do those. One ump can't be in two places at once, and if there isn't going to be a play at the plate, and there could be a play at 2nd or 3rd/1rst or 3rd mine as well help the bu.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 10:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
Unfortunately I gave been seeing the field umpire in the B position more frequently with R1 & R2 as of late.
In my best Vinny Barbarino, Where? What? I think they kicked the idea around here in 1889 or 90, and quickly realized the sheer folly of such utter nonsense.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if there isn't going to be a play at the plate, and there could be a play at 2nd or 3rd/1rst or 3rd mine as well help the bu.
And if the play at 3B ends up having the ball thrown away toward the fence/dugout and you have a close play at home, who's there to make the call?

Quote:
One ump can't be in two places at once,
You're right. But with proper positioning and movement, a base umpire should be able to cover any area he would have primary responsibility for covering. An umpire should be sure that he's not moving to a play until such play is going to be made.

Quote:
It may not be correct for high school or higher levels, but I am 18 and I'm not old enough to do those.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't learn proper mechanics. Learning them now prevents breaking bad habits when you are old enough for the higher-level assignments.

All this said, I completely understand if you're plugging a hole for a partner who is lacking in his mechanics. However, I don't see this being the case in your posts ("I'll normally take the first call and my partner will take the second" and "generally the plate ump will make the call at third"). If your ultimate goal is to work higher-level baseball, then you and your partners should start studying proper mechanics and learn them now. You'll be amazed how efficient your movement will become and easier it will be to umpire your games.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2011, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
None, Its 12u, 13u, and 14u. And it has always worked for me. It may not be correct for high school or higher levels, but I am 18 and I'm not old enough to do those.
The 2-umpire system is designed to maximize coverage for all possible outcomes, including the ones that wouldn't occur to you. If you're old enough to work with a partner, you're old enough to learn the right way.

I worked a game last weekend after a 16 year-old umpire working by himself for a different league. He had the most remarkable array of bad habits, from signaling strikes with his left hand on down. I thought: here's a kid who will have worked maybe 150 games before he turns 18, and he'll be useless to the association because he'll be so hard to retrain. What a shame.

Baseball is baseball, and umpiring is umpiring. It's not too late to get yourself some proper training. All your future partners will thank you.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2011, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The 2-umpire system is designed to maximize coverage for all possible outcomes, including the ones that wouldn't occur to you. If you're old enough to work with a partner, you're old enough to learn the right way.
Yep, and it's also a series of compromises to get an umpire to the best position position possible, not the best possible position.

Sometimes, the BU needs to earn his money.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 12:45am

Bob is absolutely right. The BU needs to earn his money. The partners I work with know that as the plate umpire, there are only three occasions when I will be at 3rd base:

1) Runner going to 3rd base and throw from the outfield is also going to 3rd base on 1st and 3rd situation.

2) R1/R2, and R2 tags up and advances on a fly out to the outfield.

3) A rundown occurs between 2nd and 3rd, and I can get there before it's all over.

My biggest pet peeve as a base umpire is a PU that insists on creeping up the 3rd base line, like they want to help out or something, like on naked triples. Chugging into 3rd and looking over and seeing the PU standing by the cutout just really gets me mad.

Second play in the infield? That's why they call it the BU position.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Kind of suspected this might be a 60 foot diamond. Where often the pregame is HP takes 3rd without full understanding of small diamond mechanics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
No problem Forest Ump ... Following the little leaguers around and saw this play and wanted to ask that question on this board.

The only reason I asked was because both umpires made the call and each had something different. Was interested to see whose call this was. The BU was standing behind SS when he made the call. Runners were on 1st & 2nd. And the ball hit to SS causing SS to throw to third for the force out. Home plate ump came up the line and signaled safe, BU stayed in his original spot and called out.

They came together and called out, which was not the popular call

Had they called safe ... one might have said: at least they got the play right.

Thanks to all!