The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down MLB Umpires-How bad are they?

I was watching Yanks-A's last night and veteran umpire Derryl Cousins has got to kidding with his strike zone. He is one of the most liked ump's in the majors but come on. There was a called third strike on Granderson that hit the chalk line of the opposite batters box, a good 6 inches off the plate. When Gardner was clearly hit on the back of his hand he missed that at first until Gardner showed him the mark from the ball. He kept calling for more baseballs from the visitors dugout and actually turned the wrong way looking for the ball boy on several occasions. Maybe it is time to head out to greener pastures.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsbob13 View Post
I was watching Yanks-A's last night and veteran umpire Derryl Cousins has got to kidding with his strike zone. He is one of the most liked ump's in the majors but come on. There was a called third strike on Granderson that hit the chalk line of the opposite batters box, a good 6 inches off the plate. When Gardner was clearly hit on the back of his hand he missed that at first until Gardner showed him the mark from the ball. He kept calling for more baseballs from the visitors dugout and actually turned the wrong way looking for the ball boy on several occasions. Maybe it is time to head out to greener pastures.
Maybe it's time to take this to a Fanboy site, Mr. Fanboy.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tough being a Yankee fan this year, isn't it? Well go cry on a Yankee website, not here.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

It's not that hard. They are in first place.

PS-I don't agree with the OP
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One missed pitch? WOW! You do know there are tracking systems that report the accuracy to the umpires do you not?

Yep - he missed the Gardner hit - a glancing blow with almost no change in direction.

Of course you know that the home team's side of the field is about 50-50 as to which side they use so gettting confused might just be possible.

Yankee fan for over 60.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Looking at the Pitch f/x data, Cousins does like the outside pitch against LH batters. Of course, I couldn't possibly care one way or another.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Where are y'all seeing this MLB Umpire stat system? I'd like to check that out of it's possible
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 12:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Do some digging around for the strike zone tool on brooksbaseball.net
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

UPSBob13, I guess you got your answer from this crowd. But I won't beat you up about it. I've come to expect such things from the peanut gallery and accept it is a reality that we have to deal with / or not deal with.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Ya know, it's easy to complain about the big boys. I mean really, 10 camera angles, instant replay, a manipulated "K-Zone", I didn't see the pitch, but sounds like he very well might have missed it. And you miss how many per game?? The boys are good, very good for the most part. Some are on the down hill side of their career, yet, there still working within MLB. I've worked with several umpires who have worked up through AAA, and spent some time in the bigs. The boys are good..very good, I've learned a great deal from them, (thanks Kenny), so before you go off on the big boys, ask yourself if you miss a pitch, or boot a call. They know they do, just as I know I do.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that they're good. But it's as if they're tenured teachers. When they go bad they're impossible to get rid of. Remember the playoffs a couple of years ago with the blown calls. I figured that if the best of the best can kick a call why can't I. I don't beat myself up anymore when I kick one. I'm not happy about it but I find it easier to let it go.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
UPSBob13, I guess you got your answer from this crowd. But I won't beat you up about it. I've come to expect such things from the peanut gallery and accept it is a reality that we have to deal with / or not deal with.
Seems Simplythebest has Seenitall.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Seems Simplythebest has Seenitall.
I think you're right... hey STB - next incarnation, don't put "I've come to expect" in your 6th post, eh?

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

It's always easier to judge when your nit the one having to make the call. I stand in B - C position and wonder what my partner is doing call some pitches but I'm not behind there and I have other things to deal with on the field. Fanboy!!, have you ever missed a pitch or a call?!?