The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

At the risk of seeing another ramble and going against multiple PMs asking me not to engage you in logical debate, here goes nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I totally disagree about not bringing in other sports, because most top officials I know work other or have at one time. And this is not just a baseball only philosophy where preventive officiating or umpiring is used. And finally this complete comparison to pro umpires is totally different. We are not the pros. They have a lot of things they would never have to deal with and things they do we never have to deal with. I honestly in most cases do not care what pro guys do because if I handled myself they do at the college and HS level, I might not be working very long.
You consistently bring up other sports that are not relevant to baseball umpiring. What may be acceptable in another sport has nothing to do with baseball officiating. Nothing.

Quote:
You keep talking about the Manual, but I have never read in any manual how to look in your uniform or to have it looked pressed and or what mask to use which we often talk about here. Also in Illinois we do not use any Manual (at least not from the NF) so I have no idea what that says or care what it says.
I mentioned having a manual to corroborate opinion because that is exactly what others here do. They demand that an umpire show support for a contention.

Anyone who has attended pro school knows that we receive direction on how to dress. Many of us were also told what equipment to use. Still, your comment is ludicrous on face and depserate at best. We are talking about mechanics and those are readily available in a number of media formats.

In Illinois, we use the NFHS rule book, supplemented by the IHSA codes and by-laws. Our clinics cover mechanics and standards. In none of our baseball literature will you find mention of helping a team subvert the rules.

Quote:
Wrong on the part in bold. You said you do not work HS anymore. I still do a great deal of HS (cut back on all of it but it fills a good part of my schedule overall) and I work a lot of college too.
I have never stated that. Please do not misrepresent what I say here.

Quote:
College coaches have a lot of say in who works their games than most HS coaches and if you tick off a college coach they tend to hold more of a grudge. Again, most of those umpires I know treat this area almost the same. So that is why I do not understand your point about ratings when ratings do not determine who works in the playoffs (at least in our state as people might think they do) and this has nothing to do with not making a tough call. It has to do with trying to prevent a very borderline infraction like a balk so that every similar action will not have to be called based on a very minor or debatable infraction. But if the infraction is obvious, of course no matter what you have said that needs to be called. And I can tell you I have made a lot of tough calls at all levels only and my ratings are still very high.
For those not familiar with Illinois ratings protocol, I offer this: umpires are rated by coaches for every contest they work and by the top level of umpire partners (Certified) as well. Those numbers are compiled and officials are issued a power rating. It is used to rank you and assign playoffs. While not perfect, it is still a decent way to establish umpire ability. It is a work in progress and our leadership sees room for improvement. I anticpate changes that will allow for personal evaluation and less merit given to coach assessment and Top 15 list involvement. These last two are suspect at the moment.

Collegiate umpires also recieve ratings. I didn't think I needed to state the obvious.

I have spoken with numerous officials, both partners and at the clinics I teach, regarding ratings responsibility. Some guys refuse to check equipment, enforce jewelry rules, batter's box infractions or call balks simply because they want to earn top ratings from coaches. They openly admit that they are compelled to give players and teams breaks because they want to advance and are stuck behind higher rated umpires. This is not a difference in philosophy - the original play held a PU and his crew accountable for making a tough and unexpected call. We can debate ad nauseum whether they should have made that call or not, how they demonstrated it, who should have done what, how much tolerance was acceptable to upset coaches, etc. In the end, you umpire to your convictions. I related the story of a partner who tried 'preventive umpiring' (he told the shortstop to tell the pitcher to pause) only to have it blow up in his face. I showed how a coach jumped on me for keeping players from interfering with a play. Some of you find it acceptable to warn pitchers for balking (the rules don't support this) or other "minor" team/player infractions. Good for you. I encourage you to watch the CWS this week. Go to an MiLB park near you or watch the MLB crews at work. They have adopted new personalities out there. They don't ignore, coddle and help others cheat. I choose to emulate them. In the end, your integrity is all you have. I'll take a lower rating in order to sleep better at night. I see no reason to try to convince you to not cheat. If you are inclined to make it easier for yourself to officiate by preventing a player/team from breaking a rule, go ahead. I will not attempt to change that mindest any further. It is not arrogance, rather frustration that drives this now. I have never said I was better than anyone else here nor do I think others are less talented. Umpire to what is expected of you or allows you to be noticed by the powers that be. I'll continue to try to call what I see.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 01:33pm.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Have to jump in here also. Besides baseball I officiated Ice hockey over 20 years and can point in the manuals were talking to the players is highly encouraged, AT ALL LEVELS. I personally know that it takes place at the PRO level too.

Of course, at the Pro levels of ANY sport there is going to be a lot less communication because your suppposed to be dealing with professionals. Hello!

For the most part here though, I would bet that at least 95-98% of the officials don't work those ranks, and I am not just talking about baseball.

Your welcome to work as you see fit though.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 02:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
You consistently bring up other sports that are not relevant to baseball umpiring. What may be acceptable in another sport has nothing to do with baseball officiating. Nothing.
Well then why does everyone from the IHSA, Referee Magazine or even other publications discuss general officiating practices. Just the how the IHSA runs their camps it is clear that what is used in one sport works or is used in another. And if it was not relevant, then people would not have given examples of other sports.

Quote:
I mentioned having a manual to corroborate opinion because that is exactly what others here do. They demand that an umpire show support for a contention.
Point taken and you are right. But the manuals from the NF are very limited and often do not discuss many advanced officiating techniques and why people attend camps instead of relying on the manual alone.

Quote:
Anyone who has attended pro school knows that we receive direction on how to dress. Many of us were also told what equipment to use. Still, your comment is ludicrous on face and depserate at best. We are talking about mechanics and those are readily available in a number of media formats.

In Illinois, we use the NFHS rule book, supplemented by the IHSA codes and by-laws. Our clinics cover mechanics and standards. In none of our baseball literature will you find mention of helping a team subvert the rules.
OK, but that is pro school. If I go to a NBA camp those practices do not always translate to lower levels either. Of course there are some best practices that can apply to all levels when the pros teach it, but there are a lot of things that do not translate. For one those players are making money and that is their job. We are dealing with kids that might play baseball to pass the time for their other sports or they will never play after their HS career is over.

I also am directly involved in all my sports with training and every one of those that is run with the IHSA's approval we teach things that are not stated in all literature. Not only is that expected in every case, it is used across the board. I even run a clinic with a football crew member for the IHSA in Peoria and we talk about things that apply across multiple sports. We have to as that is the design of the camp. I cannot just talk about baseball only stuff when I have track, football and volleyball officials in the room.

Quote:
I have never stated that. Please do not misrepresent what I say here.
I did quote you now.

Quote:
For those not familiar with Illinois ratings protocol, I offer this: umpires are rated by coaches for every contest they work and by the top level of umpire partners (Certified) as well. Those numbers are compiled and officials are issued a power rating. It is used to rank you and assign playoffs. While not perfect, it is still a decent way to establish umpire ability. It is a work in progress and our leadership sees room for improvement. I anticpate changes that will allow for personal evaluation and less merit given to coach assessment and Top 15 list involvement. These last two are suspect at the moment.
But that is involved in a larger Power Point system. Coaches and Officials ratings are only worth 5 points and Top 15 is only worth 5 points, so multiple people have a say in your ratings in these two areas. That means you have 30 other points (40 Total Power Points) that factor in your rating system. So to say that ratings drives a philosophy not to piss off coaches and fans that is kind of a misrepresentation in my opinion. For one fans have no say in any ratings system around here, so why would those care about what fans think really? And only varsity games can be used by coaches to rate you (they have to fill out an extensive from to give a single rating). And I can tell you that I did not have the highest ratings and worked a state final in two different sports. Actually my baseball ratings dropped the year I worked a state final and I was not at the total possible points when I worked the same level in football. And my ratings in baseball have been pretty much the same and I have advanced in basketball. Yes ratings matter, but in our Official's Handbook it is clear the sports administrator can make some decisions independent of the ratings and I know they do from things they have stated.

Quote:
Collegiate umpires also recieve ratings. I didn't think I needed to state the obvious.
Well there are many people that do not know about what college umpires have to go through and not every state has a ratings system by the coaches. So you might want to make that clearer as many people might be unaware that our system is not the same as their system.

Quote:
I have spoken with numerous officials, both partners and at the clinics I teach, regarding ratings responsibility. Some guys refuse to check equipment, enforce jewelry rules, batter's box infractions or call balks simply because they want to earn top ratings from coaches. They openly admit that they are compelled to give players and teams breaks because they want to advance and are stuck behind higher rated umpires. This is not a difference in philosophy - the original play held a PU and his crew accountable for making a tough and unexpected call. We can debate ad nauseum whether they should have made that call or not, how they demonstrated it, who should have done what, how much tolerance was acceptable to upset coaches, etc. In the end, you umpire to your convictions. I related the story of a partner who tried 'preventive umpiring' (he told the shortstop to tell the pitcher to pause) only to have it blow up in his face. I showed how a coach jumped on me for keeping players from interfering with a play. Some of you find it acceptable to warn pitchers for balking (the rules don't support this) or other "minor" team/player infractions. Good for you. I encourage you to watch the CWS this week. Go to an MiLB park near you or watch the MLB crews at work. They have adopted new personalities out there. They don't ignore, coddle and help others cheat. I choose to emulate them. In the end, your integrity is all you have. I'll take a lower rating in order to sleep better at night. I see no reason to try to convince you to not cheat. If you are inclined to make it easier for yourself to officiate by preventing a player/team from breaking a rule, go ahead. I will not attempt to change that mindest any further. It is not arrogance, rather frustration that drives this now. I have never said I was better than anyone else here nor do I think others are less talented. Umpire to what is expected of you or allows you to be noticed by the powers that be. I'll continue to try to call what I see.
This is my problem mostly with this disagreement we are having. I never suggest that someone is cheating or helping the other team. I simply said that it is common practice to use some form of preventative officiating in baseball as others do in other sports. And yes that is relevant if you work other sports because it is common to teach or reference other sports as to what applies. I just was at a basketball camp where I was a clinician. We used a baseball example to make a point about how to make a basketball call. The example made sense to many as they were umpires currently or at some point in their officiating career. Do not take this so over the top that someone is telling you what to do. If you do not want to tell a pitcher that is close to a balk to be aware of it, then so be it. I would work with you and get along. But I would hope that when you do make that call you are not doing it on a borderline play that is so marginal that now every similar action must require a call from me as your partner or I have to hear why we are not consistent based on something we called previously. Again, I can sleep well at night with what I do as well. But do not act like there are those that do not teach this or expect this at all kinds of levels. I cannot speak again for what goes on at pro school; I can just speak for what I have seen D1 umpires to State Final umpires do. And there are so many camps and umpires I have heard talk about these things at all kinds of IHSA camps as well as those run by the NCAA. Again, not trying to convince you to change, just stating that this is widespread. No reason to get all hot and bothered about this, we are having a discussion about what is best to do. We are all not going to agree on every issue.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 03:03pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I'm still trying to figure out why the headline doesn't say, "Missed base costs team championship"
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 03:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why the headline doesn't say, "Missed base costs team championship"
Very simple. It is easier to make the umpire the bad guy and not the action by the kid. The media loves this kind of story.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Or "Observant Team Gets Second Chance to Win Championship"
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Or "Observant Team Gets Second Chance to Win Championship"
Or...Umpire Does His Job, Lets Players Decide Game

or...Jealous Umpires Will Have Field Day Over His Tough Call
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff, this is my last post to you regarding thsi topic. You will undoubtedly take the last word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well then why does everyone from the IHSA, Referee Magazine or even other publications discuss general officiating practices. Just the how the IHSA runs their camps it is clear that what is used in one sport works or is used in another. And if it was not relevant, then people would not have given examples of other sports.
Please stop. Communicating to coaches and athletes is one thing. Giving one an advantage rather than officiating is another. Go ahead, call down state and tell them how you believe it is appropriate to issue warnings that are not legal. Tell them how you believe it is acceptable to coach rather than officiate in certain circumstances. Follow the rule book, Jeff.

Quote:
Point taken and you are right. But the manuals from the NF are very limited and often do not discuss many advanced officiating techniques and why people attend camps instead of relying on the manual alone.
Again, stop. You cannot support your opinion with anything in writing.

Quote:
OK, but that is pro school. If I go to a NBA camp those practices do not always translate to lower levels either. Of course there are some best practices that can apply to all levels when the pros teach it, but there are a lot of things that do not translate. For one those players are making money and that is their job. We are dealing with kids that might play baseball to pass the time for their other sports or they will never play after their HS career is over.
You cannot help yourself. Do not bring up other sports. I don't care what other sports allow. Your generalization of baseball players is truly inappropriate.

Quote:
I also am directly involved in all my sports with training and every one of those that is run with the IHSA's approval we teach things that are not stated in all literature. Not only is that expected in every case, it is used across the board. I even run a clinic with a football crew member for the IHSA in Peoria and we talk about things that apply across multiple sports. We have to as that is the design of the camp. I cannot just talk about baseball only stuff when I have track, football and volleyball officials in the room.
Again with comments about irrelevant sports. Ugggghhh.

Quote:
I did quote you now.
That must be your way of apologizing for misquoting me.

Quote:
But that is involved in a larger Power Point system. Coaches and Officials ratings are only worth 5 points and Top 15 is only worth 5 points, so multiple people have a say in your ratings in these two areas. That means you have 30 other points (40 Total Power Points) that factor in your rating system.
I felt no need to explain the entire power system. You can get 5 points simply by waiting until your friend or association furnishes you with the test answers. You can another 5 points simply by attending a clinic each year. Points are important. The difference between a playoff assignment can be a single point. That is why so many do whatever it takes to get high ratings from coaches. I have had coaches tell me that umpires call them to remind their staff to rate them highly and include them on their annual Top 15 list. That is shameful politicking.

Quote:
So to say that ratings drives a philosophy not to piss off coaches and fans that is kind of a misrepresentation in my opinion.
Logic evades you then.

Quote:
For one fans have no say in any ratings system around here, so why would those care about what fans think really? And only varsity games can be used by coaches to rate you (they have to fill out an extensive from to give a single rating).
Again, I never said that fans rate us. Please stop mistaking what I said. That is as nice as I can write that.

Quote:
And I can tell you that I did not have the highest ratings and worked a state final in two different sports. Actually my baseball ratings dropped the year I worked a state final and I was not at the total possible points when I worked the same level in football. And my ratings in baseball have been pretty much the same and I have advanced in basketball. Yes ratings matter, but in our Official's Handbook it is clear the sports administrator can make some decisions independent of the ratings and I know they do from things they have stated.
We have a new Executive Director. He strictly adhered to the Power Ratings this year for playoff assignments.

Quote:
Well there are many people that do not know about what college umpires have to go through and not every state has a ratings system by the coaches. So you might want to make that clearer as many people might be unaware that our system is not the same as their system.
There is no need to tell NCAA officials about our ratings system. It is well documented. Illinois colleges adhere to the national policy. Some JUCOs here haveeven adopted the rating system for their NCAA brethren.

Quote:
This is my problem mostly with this disagreement we are having. I never suggest that someone is cheating or helping the other team. I simply said that it is common practice to use some form of preventative officiating in baseball as others do in other sports.
Common practice among officials who want to make their job easier. Call what you see or at least try to.

Quote:
And yes that is relevant if you work other sports because it is common to teach or reference other sports as to what applies. I just was at a basketball camp where I was a clinician. We used a baseball example to make a point about how to make a basketball call.
Sigh. Roll eyes.

I once attended a prestigious umpire camp which featured an umpire who told us how he was sick of getting hit by pitches and foul balls, so he pushed the catcher forward while the pitch was being delivered. The attendees laughed. I didn't adopt that philosophy. Some things that are taught at camps are simply not worth emulating.

Quote:
The example made sense to many as they were umpires currently or at some point in their officiating career. Do not take this so over the top that someone is telling you what to do. If you do not want to tell a pitcher that is close to a balk to be aware of it, then so be it. I would work with you and get along. But I would hope that when you do make that call you are not doing it on a borderline play that is so marginal that now every similar action must require a call from me as your partner or I have to hear why we are not consistent based on something we called previously. Again, I can sleep well at night with what I do as well. But do not act like there are those that do not teach this or expect this at all kinds of levels.
There is no such thing as a borderline balk. It either is or isn't.

Quote:
I cannot speak again for what goes on at pro school; I can just speak for what I have seen D1 umpires to State Final umpires do. And there are so many camps and umpires I have heard talk about these things at all kinds of IHSA camps as well as those run by the NCAA. Again, not trying to convince you to change, just stating that this is widespread. No reason to get all hot and bothered about this, we are having a discussion about what is best to do. We are all not going to agree on every issue.
Jeff, I will let you have the last word. As I have stated numerous times, umpire to what your area expects. If they tolerate umpires who prevent players from breaking the rules, in violation of the umpire accepted official codes of ethics, great. I am hardly 'hot and bothered' by your posts. I find them amusing and a bit challenging to dissect, but hardly confrontational. You can call them as you see necessary. I will too. I will also continue to encourage my fellow umpires to do better than what is expected or talked about secretly between ourselves.

Enjoy your summer. I will do my best to do the same.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 04:14pm.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Have to jump in here also. Besides baseball I officiated Ice hockey over 20 years and can point in the manuals were talking to the players is highly encouraged, AT ALL LEVELS. I personally know that it takes place at the PRO level too.

Of course, at the Pro levels of ANY sport there is going to be a lot less communication because your suppposed to be dealing with professionals. Hello!

For the most part here though, I would bet that at least 95-98% of the officials don't work those ranks, and I am not just talking about baseball.

Your welcome to work as you see fit though.
Communicating with contestants is far different than giving one an advantage over another. I would rather emulate the best than accept the actions of those who violate ethics and rules. I have been fortunate to work with some excellent officials over the years and we have evolved as a group. The current crop would have umpired rings around me when I was their age. They are commited to professionalism that is beyond admirable. I have to work much harder when partnered with them and am glad to do it. Their no nonsense approach is refreshing and a reflection of solid training.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Jeff, I will let you have the last word. As I have stated numerous times, umpire to what your area expects. If they tolerate umpires who prevent players from breaking the rules, in violation of the umpire accepted official codes of ethics, great. I am hardly 'hot and bothered' by your posts. I find them amusing and a bit challenging to dissect, but hardly confrontational. You can call them as you see necessary. I will too. I will also continue to encourage my fellow umpires to do better than what is expected or talked about secretly between ourselves.

Enjoy your summer. I will do my best to do the same.
It is not about having the last word; I just disagree with your point of view. And we do have a new administrator in baseball (he also does football) and he did not give people playoff games just on power ratings. I can tell you that because there are other factors like availability, area and what they did before.

At the end of the day it does not matter. I will work what has worked for the past 15 years of doing baseball and will continue to do so. I said preventative officiating and you have turned this into allowing a player to violate a rule. OK, I guess. Not what anyone has said (and I am not alone in this discussion).

And let me address this as I think it matters. If you are not hot and bothered then why all the extra comments? I know you will not answer but it seems to me if you disagree then disagree. But for some reason this is personal for you like it was the other conversation and you were also proven to not be totally right there either and I was not the person to show you evidence to show you were incorrect. Again this is a forum to discuss things. Many people take these types of discussions to explain why they do things. We can honestly disagree, and if you do what works for you why would anyone really care? I know that these things I do are hardly noticed by even coaches and they have no idea unless I tell them what I said. Usually they say "Thank you" and we move on. To me this discussion is about as important as discussing if pitching overhand vs. sidearm. It is really about style and what works for you. It is really not that big of a deal.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:51pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I would rather emulate the best than accept the actions of those who violate ethics and rules.
I hope you realize how strong of a statement that actually is.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Well, don't assume I meant it that way because I didn't. Was actually speaking to the politics of the situation and why in CT our best officials are not put on the best high school games. I know of several officials in this state who are highly-qualified and capable umpires yet who are stuck with an average varsity schedule and an early conference/state appearance.

Then the "seasoned vets" who have been on boards for 30 years and appeased enough of the higher-ups get the big game, despite not knowing where to stand on touches of home plate and simulating out what he saw in his explanation in the dirt like he is in a Pee Wee huddle. That violates umpiring 101, plain and simple.

We as a state should be doing a better job of putting our best officials on our best games. Sadly, it doesn't happen.
Wow, that all sounds familiar. Replace CT with CA and it's exactly the same.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
If a batter takes a position outside the batter's box as his preliminary starting point, pro school teaches the umpire to instruct him to get into the box.

I see that as a form of preventative officiating at the highest level.

As somebody mentioned, the reason you don't see much of it in MLB is because they are pros to begin with. They don't need reminding. But they do appreciate it when something comes up. I'll give you a classic example from the highest level of baseball I ever worked.

Double play ball, out at 2nd. Ball gets thrown into the dugout. Batter runner is lying on ground with a torn ACL at the 45 foot line. I call time and award 2nd.

As the manager, trainer, and first base coach hover over him, I casually walk over and very quietly say to the manager, "Joe, we're fine if you want to use a substitute here, but make sure he touches first before he goes to 2nd".

Sure enough, runner comes running out right to 2nd base. Manager starts screaming, whoa whoa whoa! Go touch first!

Next night, other manager comes out to coach 3rd, and he asks me about it and is trying to fish for just what I told the other manager. I told him right there "Chris, what I told him, I'd tell you in the same exact situation." And he was just fine with that. Surprising, cause he was a bit of a hot head.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I hope you realize how strong of a statement that actually is.
I do. This was a HS game. Read the NFHS Code of Ethics in the current rule book - umpires who give one team an advantage over another have violated that covenant and displayed poor integrity and ethics. Again, I offer the play involving an umpire telling a defensive player to warn the pitcher that he will be called for a balk unless he changes his delivery. That play has been mentioned numerous times as acceptable.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
If a batter takes a position outside the batter's box as his preliminary starting point, pro school teaches the umpire to instruct him to get into the box.

I see that as a form of preventative officiating at the highest level.
Two thoughts: 1) Asking a player to assume his position so a pitch can occur is not preventive officiating. 2) I have yet to see a pro player set up completely outside the box. When a player contacts the ball outside the box, I have seen that play called several times in the pros and even more in amateur ball. That is umpiring.

Quote:
Double play ball, out at 2nd. Ball gets thrown into the dugout. Batter runner is lying on ground with a torn ACL at the 45 foot line. I call time and award 2nd.

As the manager, trainer, and first base coach hover over him, I casually walk over and very quietly say to the manager, "Joe, we're fine if you want to use a substitute here, but make sure he touches first before he goes to 2nd".

Sure enough, runner comes running out right to 2nd base. Manager starts screaming, whoa whoa whoa! Go touch first!

Next night, other manager comes out to coach 3rd, and he asks me about it and is trying to fish for just what I told the other manager. I told him right there "Chris, what I told him, I'd tell you in the same exact situation." And he was just fine with that. Surprising, cause he was a bit of a hot head.
You did nothing noble nor unethical. In fact, you simply followed the rules, it seems, unknowingly. Rule 5.10 (c) (1) reads, "If an accident to a runner is such as to prevent him from proceeding to a base to which he is entitled, as on a home run hit out of the playing field, or an award of one or more bases, a substitute runner shall be permitted to complete the play."
Closed Thread