Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Where are all the 'expected call' guys now?

The same guys that proclaim they will never call a pitch a strike if the catcher drops it are nowhere to be found.

The same guys who say they will never call a curve ball that cuts the bottom of the zone but ends up in the dirt are silent.

The same guys who preach that they call the runner out if the ball beats him to the slide by three feet (without regard for an actual tag) are AWOL.

Hmmmmm.
Not sure who you're referring to. Other than CC, I don't believe many of "those guys" post here. I've worked with some of "those guys", but most of them have been slowly phased out over the past few years.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
If I'm the plate guy and that's the winning run, with no play I'm standing as close to home plate as I can get, and I'm doing my darndest to keep the teammates away from the plate while I watch him either touch it or miss it. Clearly the biggest call of a game like that needs extra scrutiny.

JJ
Disagree - you take your normal position, you yell "get out of my way" and do your best to see the touch. I've never had a problem because when I bellow out "GET OUT OF MY WAY!" they scatter!
I'm such a prick!
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I'm the plate guy and that's the winning run, with no play I'm standing as close to home plate as I can get, and I'm doing my darndest to keep the teammates away from the plate while I watch him either touch it or miss it. Clearly the biggest call of a game like that needs extra scrutiny.

JJ
Every touch of home deserves scrutiny. This one no more or less than others. And we all know that "as close to home plate as I can get" is FAR too close to really see a play. Go to your normal position and make sure you have an angle. There's a reason our mechanics tell us where to go on certain calls - it's because through trial and error over time we've learned where the best place to be is. Wouldn't you want to be in "the best place" in this particular case as well?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 10:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

JJ
I'm standing in the runner's path just behind the plate, keeping the teammates away. It's going to be hard for him to miss it.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

"But I know this guy was not the most qualified to work this game, period." I have heard this a thousand times and it usually means, why didn't they choose me.
Well, don't assume I meant it that way because I didn't. Was actually speaking to the politics of the situation and why in CT our best officials are not put on the best high school games. I know of several officials in this state who are highly-qualified and capable umpires yet who are stuck with an average varsity schedule and an early conference/state appearance.

Then the "seasoned vets" who have been on boards for 30 years and appeased enough of the higher-ups get the big game, despite not knowing where to stand on touches of home plate and simulating out what he saw in his explanation in the dirt like he is in a Pee Wee huddle. That violates umpiring 101, plain and simple.

We as a state should be doing a better job of putting our best officials on our best games. Sadly, it doesn't happen.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a high school game a number of years ago when we had a walk off home run. The dugout erupted on the swing and they charged out of it towards the plate. I was on the dish and as my 1B partner signalled the homerun, I put both hands forward and told the boys to stay off the dirt. Within seconds of opening my mouth, the HC of the defensive team was yelling at me for preventing an infraction and possible missed touch of home plate. I pretended not to hear him and after the kid touched, walked off with my crew. The HC and his assistant met us at the gate (the only way out was through the side closes to them) and continued to bait me. Only when I got to the car did one of my partners say something about it and he agreed with the HC. I commented that we have been asked to keep players away from the dish and he said that by doing so we are interjecting ourselves into the game. I disagreed but never forgot it. I still do it but much less than before and usually when I know I won't be able to see the touch.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Not sure who you're referring to. Other than CC, I don't believe many of "those guys" post here. I've worked with some of "those guys", but most of them have been slowly phased out over the past few years.
There are still a few out there. It doesn't surprise me that they are hiding after this type of play. It was a tough call with an unexpected outcome. Some umpires believe that making the expected call is an honor. Yeah, it gets them ratings and assignments but they cheat the game by doing it. Expected calls are rarely fair and umpiring is supposed to be all about that endeavor.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm standing in the runner's path just behind the plate, keeping the teammates away. It's going to be hard for him to miss it.
Exactly, keep them away, then everyone can see the touch etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Exactly, keep them away, then everyone can see the touch etc.,

Thanks
David
I've been gone from HS ball for a while. I didn't look very hard, but cannot find the rule that prohibits players from being around the plate during a dead ball. As stated above, I recall being told years ago to keep players off the dirt after a HR but cannot find a Fed rule. Can you please cite it?
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've been gone from HS ball for a while. I didn't look very hard, but cannot find the rule that prohibits players from being around the plate during a dead ball. As stated above, I recall being told years ago to keep players off the dirt after a HR but cannot find a Fed rule. Can you please cite it?
2nd time you've called this a dead ball. This is a liner to left field. The ball is not dead.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2nd time you've called this a dead ball. This is a liner to left field. The ball is not dead.
Where did I state that the ball is a liner to left? I asked for a ruling on a HR.

This discussion is fluid. I see no reason to repeat the obvious, the OP has been dissected already. I sought information on a related ruling. Yes, twice, now!

As for the players, 3-3-1a can be invoked and the OHC knows all too well what it involves.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Thu Jun 16, 2011 at 02:22pm.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where did I state that the ball is a liner to left? I asked for a ruling on a HR.
Yeah, you do have a red herring post (#21) over there. The confusion is that you quoted Dave, who quoted Rich - all of whom have been talking about the OP. My apologies for not noticing that your quoting of Dave meant that you were actually replying to yourself.

(PS - as a side note, you do this a lot. You end up in needless arguments with people because you were horribly unclear about who you were referring to or responding to. Not sure if you've noticed.)

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No rule, as you know.

But, it is generally accepted good game management.

I concede that if you use the words "let him touch" (or similar), some rat* might interpret that as "helping the offense." So, say "let me see".

* -- I don't often use that term, but someone who uses this ploy on a walk-off is one, at least in this instance.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, you do have a red herring post (#21) over there. The confusion is that you quoted Dave, who quoted Rich - all of whom have been talking about the OP. My apologies for not noticing that your quoting of Dave meant that you were actually replying to yourself.

(PS - as a side note, you do this a lot. You end up in needless arguments with people because you were horribly unclear about who you were referring to or responding to. Not sure if you've noticed.)
No. I quoted Dave because I asked a question of him. I posted a play I had been involved in that addresses a problem we can encounter by interjecting ourselves into a game.

I was not replying to myself. I seek a ruling for the play. I have found none that allow an umpire to prevent players from entering a field during a dead ball during HS level play.

Finally, if you watch the OP again, you will see players enter the field while the ball is alive. They are subject to warning and ejection. They can also be cited for interference.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No rule, as you know.

But, it is generally accepted good game management.

I concede that if you use the words "let him touch" (or similar), some rat* might interpret that as "helping the offense." So, say "let me see".

* -- I don't often use that term, but someone who uses this ploy on a walk-off is one, at least in this instance.
Thanks Bob. Yes, I knew that there wasn't a rule about this in HS ball. My attempt to evolve the dialogue and banish a myth is for naught. In the OP, the PU had the best look at the runner from where he stood. He has to watch the touch at third, be in position for a possible rundown and fall back for a play at the dish. Third base extended wouldn't work for him too well. He may have been able to prevent the mob by being there, but anticipating that over watching his duties is not likely.
Closed Thread