The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tucktheump
Has anyone found the official answers to the 2003 NCAA rules test? How long do they wait untill the answers are posted?

The test is located at: http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baseb...rules_test.pdf

I have a real problem with #15. There is not enough info to answer the question. Based on the NCAA rules, ( http://ncaa.com/library/rules/2003/baseball_rules.pdf ) lemme what you umps think.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Don't have rule book handy to quote you the rule # but the answer is "C", dead ball and R1 is out. The only way the runners are protected in this situation is if they are in foul territory "only" when struck by a batted ball.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Runner out. Force removed. No runs score. Inning Over.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sneallyk
Don't have rule book handy to quote you the rule # but the answer is "C", dead ball and R1 is out. The only way the runners are protected in this situation is if they are in foul territory "only" when struck by a batted ball.
The answer is only C if the interference is deemed intentional. A runner in foul territory who is struck by a batted ball is not always protected. PLAY: Runner (R3), while in foul territory, intentionally or unintentionally hinders the 3rd baseman from fielding a line drive that could have been caught otherwise.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Runner out. Force removed. No runs score. Inning Over.
Rich,
You are correct if the fielders had a reasonable chance to field the ball and it is determined by the umpire that the interference is intentional. (rule 8-5 k A.R.-2). But what if it is deemed unintentional, or the fielders could not have fielded the ball with a reasonable effort?

Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tucktheump
Rich,
You are correct if the fielders had a reasonable chance to field the ball and it is determined by the umpire that the interference is intentional. (rule 8-5 k A.R.-2). But what if it is deemed unintentional, or the fielders could not have fielded the ball with a reasonable effort?

"Intent" is needed only if the runner interferes with a *fielder*, in the play at hand, the runner interfered with the *ball*.

I agree the answer depends on whether F4 or F6 could reasonably field the ball.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Post how bout #8?

anyone have an interpretation of question #8. Please, try to include a rule to back your answer up
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: how bout #8?

Quote:
Originally posted by tucktheump
anyone have an interpretation of question #8. Please, try to include a rule to back your answer up
(Question summary: R1 slides into third on a single and ends up on top of F5's glove. When F5 tries to show the umpire the ball, his hand comes out from his glove -- the glove is still under the runner.)

I have A (R1 is out) and D (the ball is dead) as correct.

F (place BR at first) is maybe correct, depending on the umpire's judgment. I used the new rule on lodged equipment -- 8-3l, iirc.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: how bout #8?

[/B][/QUOTE]
(Question summary: R1 slides into third on a single and ends up on top of F5's glove. When F5 tries to show the umpire the ball, his hand comes out from his glove -- the glove is still under the runner.)

I have A (R1 is out) and D (the ball is dead) as correct.

F (place BR at first) is maybe correct, depending on the umpire's judgment. I used the new rule on lodged equipment -- 8-3l, iirc. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Bob...thats what i had as well, but i couldnt find a rule to back it up. Im on #26 now...ill be sure to get your interpretation on any of the ones i have a problem with.