The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Batter Interference??

Had a situation the other night that I think I called correctly but not 100% sure.

R2, pitch is in the dirt and rolling on the ground on the third base side of home plate. Right handed batter backs out of the batter's box, trying to get out of the way of the catcher but continues to move with the catcher making his life difficult to throw to third.

I'm positive that the batter didn't intentially interfere but his choice in direction to move certainly did interfere with the play on the runner.

Do we have batter interference? I called interference and of course had a conversation with the offensive coach with no one being ejected.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

It is a HTBT sitch. As a general rule RHB need to stay in the box with R2 stealing or advancing. Catcher's are usually trained to throw behind batter and batter backing out of the box will draw an interference even on a straight steal. With a Wild pitch I hate giving the defense a break while the batter is trying to get out of the way but the batter should just stand his ground and let the catcher move him if necessary. Based on your post I think you made a reasonable judgment call.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileonardoja View Post
it is a htbt sitch. As a general rule rhb need to stay in the box with r2 stealing or advancing. Catcher's are usually trained to throw behind batter and batter backing out of the box will draw an interference even on a straight steal. With a wild pitch i hate giving the defense a break while the batter is trying to get out of the way but the batter should just stand his ground and let the catcher move him if necessary. Based on your post i think you made a reasonable judgment call.
+1
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

A batter in the box has a lot more leeway, so to speak, than one who has left the box. Sounds like INT to me, the way you describe this.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 13, 2011, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileonardoja View Post
With a Wild pitch I hate giving the defense a break while the batter is trying to get out of the way but the batter should just stand his ground and let the catcher move him if necessary.
Is there a scenario where the batter does indeed stand in the box without moving and yet it could be interference on a steal/wild pitch? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm truly asking.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2011, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Is there a scenario where the batter does indeed stand in the box without moving and yet it could be interference on a steal/wild pitch? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm truly asking.
Not if the pitch is caught.

If the pitch rolls away from F2, and R3 tries for home, and the batter has an opportunity to move, then he could be guilty of "willful indifference" if he just stands in the box and interferes.