The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Batter Interference

Hey guys had situation the other night. Runner on 1st and 3rd 1 out. Passed ball runner from 3rd attempting to score. Cathers throw to the plate hits batter. I'm out in the field, plate umpire makes no call except runner from 3rd is safe. I ask for a meeting with plate umpire and tell him I believe we have interference on the batter. He asks "what do you mean" I replay the play to him and he agrees the batter interfeared. So I tell him I'm not 100% on this but I believe since there is less than 2 outs runner on third is out and runner from 1st which is now on 3rd goes back to 1st? He says I think runner would have been safe so I'm not calling the interference. I told him you only disregard the interfrenece if the runner is out! So we make no call on interference! No coaches or players screamed or anything, but, I dont think they new what really happened I have to believe plate umpire is wrong on this. What do you guys think???????

Kleff
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleff View Post
I ask for a meeting with plate umpire and tell him I believe we have interference on the batter.
Kleff
This is where things went wrong.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey guys had situation the other night. Runner on 1st and 3rd 1 out. Passed ball runner from 3rd attempting to score. Cathers throw to the plate hits batter.
What was the batter doing? Did he have a chance to move?

(And, I agree, you should only provide input on this play if asked.)
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:24am
Veteran College Umpire

If the batter has time to vacate the area, he better vacate the area. I've even yelled that at him ("Get out of the way!"). I can sell interference a lot better if he's still standing there and, in my judgement, interferes with the play. Of course, there's always that bad throw from the catcher that hits that batter....but that's another post.

JJ
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

I agree, provide information and if your partner chooses not to make the call, there is not much you can do except explain the rules to him after the game, because he made both of you look bad.

Then again, not having been there, it is kind of difficult to understand if the batter was in the way of the throw or the catcher just had a bad throw.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

The only reason I asked for a conference with plate umpire, was initially someone from the defensive team yelled "is'nt that interference". Plate umpire looked to me like he did'nt understand why. He actually started walking out to me. Well anyway the batter was about 3 feet outside the batters box down the on the 3rd base side. Runner from 3rd probably would have been safe,but it still would have been close enough to call
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Kleff, did the plate guy ask for your input by calling time and motioning for you to talk with him? I mean, maybe he was looking at you wondering what you were up to? If not, stay where you are!!
How did that batter interfere with the play from where he was standing? IF the catcher could get an interference call by plugging the batter with the ball they would do it everytime, no?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only reason I asked for a conference with plate umpire, was initially someone from the defensive team yelled "is'nt that interference". Plate umpire looked to me like he did'nt understand why. He actually started walking out to me. Well anyway the batter was about 3 feet outside the batters box down the on the 3rd base side. Runner from 3rd probably would have been safe,but it still would have been close enough to call
Where did the PB go?

Was the batter in the line from the catcher to the pitcher covering or did the throw suck?
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So what you are saying is if someone yells "That's not a strike!" you are going to request a meeting with your partner?

Here's my answer as an umpire evaluator & trainer.

Your partner did not ask for help. Keep your mouth shut and move on.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Why would the plate guy be wondering what I was doing???? I was in the c slot. Plate guy started walking towards me in the c slot, that is when I called time and asked him to talk. the conversation took place closer to the c slot than home plate. By him coming out that far I figured he was looking for imput. The PB went toward the 3rd base side batter was deffinetly in the way of throw. The catcher was throwing towards home plate.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why would the plate guy be wondering what I was doing???? I was in the c slot. Plate guy started walking towards me in the c slot, that is when I called time and asked him to talk. the conversation took place closer to the c slot than home plate. By him coming out that far I figured he was looking for imput. The PB went toward the 3rd base side batter was deffinetly in the way of throw. The catcher was throwing towards home plate.
If he wants help he'll ask.

If the coach asks you, you tell the coach to talk to the umpire that made the call.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys I think you totally misunderstood what was being asked! I was looking for rule clarification not umpire mechanics! I am well aware of when to ask for help and when to give help. Instead of bashing an umpire give your understanding of the rule. If your clueless on the rule just admit it. Anyway I got call back from an umpire of 40 plus years who actually knows the rulebook, not a few clowns on a forum who think they know the rule book. He says without seeing the play it sounds like interference under rule 7.09 c. Now I know better to just wait for a callback from a umpire with rulebook knowledge rather than posting to this forum!
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

~Cripes~

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Hey guys I think you totally misunderstood what was being asked! I was looking for rule clarification not umpire mechanics! I am well aware of when to ask for help and when to give help. Instead of bashing an umpire give your understanding of the rule. If your clueless on the rule just admit it. Anyway I got call back from an umpire of 40 plus years who actually knows the rulebook, not a few clowns on a forum who think they know the rule book. He says without seeing the play it sounds like interference under rule 7.09 c. Now I know better to just wait for a callback from a umpire with rulebook knowledge rather than posting to this forum!
Obviously you don't know as much about proper decorum on the field as you think you do. You said you asked for a meeting with your partner to tell him what you thought he should have called. There are a few shared responsibilities in two man mechanics, but this isn't one of them. No one is bashing you here. They're trying to teach you something.

Tim.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So it's not just on the basketball forum that new guys will post here and expect to be able to dictate the direction of the thread? That's good to know.
The pattern holds form here, too.
1. New guy posts a question.
2. Question gets answered and more advice is provided than was asked for.
3. New guy defends himself against the added advice.
4. New guy comes back and denegrates officials (umpires) who offered said advice.
5. New guy stomps off with his feelings hurt.