The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Advice for Base Umping

So for the past few years, specifically from 3 seasons on, I have been doing 10u, 11u, 12u travel and little league. I was one of the more experienced guys, and I was pretty much always behind the plate. The field was small, so the base ump never really required help at 3rd. Now I got moved up to 13u and 14u, but I have been mostly doing the bases. It is also a much larger field than the ones used for 12u and 11u. I haven't had much trouble except for a few calls at 3rd. The home ump who I mostly work with has told me on one occasion to simply point to him to make the call, because he has a much better angle for 3rd. But that sort of seems unprofessional to me, as I am being paid to make the calls at the bases. It just seems that I never have a good enough angle to make the call. Do you have any advice on where to set myself up to make a better call while still being able to see first and second? Do any of the base umps on this site ever defer to a home ump?
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

I think the best thing you can/should do is buy yourself a couple mechanics books and attend a good clinic. Without seeing you work and or knowing more about your trouble, it's a bit hard to give any adivice. As a good rule, Angle over distance. That is, get as close to the play as the play will allow you without sacraficing your angle to see what you need to see.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
I think the best thing you can/should do is buy yourself a couple mechanics books and attend a good clinic. Without seeing you work and or knowing more about your trouble, it's a bit hard to give any adivice. As a good rule, Angle over distance. That is, get as close to the play as the play will allow you without sacraficing your angle to see what you need to see.
This is good advice. There are plays when the PU should be making the call, and there are plays when the BU should make the call. Then, discuss what you have learned with your PU partner before the game so you are both on the same page.

My son plays travel ball and sadly that is what we see week after week - umpires just doing it on the fly with no training etc., it makes for some interesting games and leaves parents scratching their heads wondering why or how they made a certain call etc.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
+1

It sounds as if your umpires follow a mechanic of "if you saw it, go ahead and take it." A good clinic or class should be your next step. For every play, exactly one umpire has responsibility for the call.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I was where you are 6 years ago. I thought I understood how to umpire because I could see safe and out. One of many options is to look into attending your LL regional umpire clinic. It is a week long residential clinic that, although primarily focused on the small diamond, will provide you a great foundation, all at a very reasonable cost.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Smile My $0.02

Sorry, this might seem like resurrecting an old post, but I was on vacation and now I am catching up on "un-read" threads.

Unless the PU has identified that he has 3B or the BU is in such a position that it is impractical for him to make a call, BU has 3B.

When a play occurs there, the BU is to make the best call with all information available. If he feels that the PU might have seen something that would affect the call. He should wait until the playing action ends, call time and speak with the PU.

If something was seen, some additional information given, the BU should take that into account and decide upon standing with the call or reversing it. In either case the BU signals the decision and handles any issues stemming from it.

I do echo others thoughts that a clinic will do wonders in this area, this is simply a bare-bones process that can work in the interim. But you need to cover it in the pregame with your partner.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
Sorry, this might seem like resurrecting an old post, but I was on vacation and now I am catching up on "un-read" threads.

Unless the PU has identified that he has 3B or the BU is in such a position that it is impractical for him to make a call, BU has 3B.

When a play occurs there, the BU is to make the best call with all information available. If he feels that the PU might have seen something that would affect the call. He should wait until the playing action ends, call time and speak with the PU.

If something was seen, some additional information given, the BU should take that into account and decide upon standing with the call or reversing it. In either case the BU signals the decision and handles any issues stemming from it.

I do echo others thoughts that a clinic will do wonders in this area, this is simply a bare-bones process that can work in the interim. But you need to cover it in the pregame with your partner.
Mechanics dictate that all calls at third belong to the BU until the PU calls off the BU.

Beyond that, there's too much in this post that will cause me grief in my games -- like this Sunday when I worked hard to get in position on a ground ball from the C position and had the defense all ask for me to "get help" when F3 stretched, caught the ball, and then fell forward off the base. I'm sure my eyes were the only ones on the feet when the play happened -- the defense was just umpiring what they saw (well) afterwards. You'd think I shot their puppy when I told them I wasn't about to ask the PU for "help" -- I certainly didn't need "help."

Get in position and get the right angle and get the calls yourself.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Mechanics dictate that all calls at third belong to the BU until the PU calls off the BU.

Beyond that, there's too much in this post that will cause me grief in my games -- like this Sunday when I worked hard to get in position on a ground ball from the C position and had the defense all ask for me to "get help" when F3 stretched, caught the ball, and then fell forward off the base. I'm sure my eyes were the only ones on the feet when the play happened -- the defense was just umpiring what they saw (well) afterwards. You'd think I shot their puppy when I told them I wasn't about to ask the PU for "help" -- I certainly didn't need "help."

Get in position and get the right angle and get the calls yourself.
1+

-----

A lot of umpiring is selling your call by looking confident. Unfortunately (collint1993), it comes with experience and training. Find a local officiating association and join would be my best advice!

-Josh