The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Join the fun

Posted on another website. Nice exercise.

In the top of the 3rd inning, with one out and a runner on second base, B1 hits a ground ball to F6, who throws to F3 for the second out of the inning. Thinking instead that the inning is over, F3 begins to leave the field. F3 either (a) tosses the ball into the stands or (b) takes the ball with him into the dugout before realizing his error, upon which he reemerges from the dugout with the ball still in his glove. For each part of this scenario, determine the correct result of the play, how play will resume, and the basis on which you reached that decision (cite your rule[s]). Try it for FED, NCAA, and OBR.

Viv
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 08:41am
Archaic Power Monger

Answering for OBR:

a) Ball is dead for being thrown into the stands. Award R2 home. Next batter is up with two outs. 7.05 (g)

b) This situation isn't specifically covered in the rules. I don't have my (outdated) J/R with me but my first impression is that the ball stays live since 7.04 (c) specifically mentions a fielder falling into the stands or dugout and not stepping into it. This is not catching a fly ball situation so I realize 7.04 (c) may not exactly apply but that seems to me to be the intent. That's my SWAG anyways, I would be glad to be proven wrong.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Two base award for throwing (or intentionally taking) the ball out of play.

Catch-fall and catch-carry only apply to what happens when the momentum while making a catch takes the fielder out of play.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

I concur with Rich I. - score the runner either way.

JM
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Viverito View Post
Posted on another website. Nice exercise.

In the top of the 3rd inning, with one out and a runner on second base, B1 hits a ground ball to F6, who throws to F3 for the second out of the inning. Thinking instead that the inning is over, F3 begins to leave the field. F3 either (a) tosses the ball into the stands or (b) takes the ball with him into the dugout before realizing his error, upon which he reemerges from the dugout with the ball still in his glove. For each part of this scenario, determine the correct result of the play, how play will resume, and the basis on which you reached that decision (cite your rule[s]). Try it for FED, NCAA, and OBR.

Viv
Score the runner in all codes. Both A & B.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 10:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

I wish there was a better reference for this. Or is there one that I'm not finding?
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I would agree with the other posts here. So, what's the big isue on the "other" site (which site?) OR what are we missing.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I would agree with the other posts here. So, what's the big isue on the "other" site (which site?) OR what are we missing.
No issue. Almost happened in an MLB game and the situations were offered up for input. The other site is not public. I offered here as an exercise.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 10:55am
Archaic Power Monger

Well it's not the first time I've been wrong...
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

It was posted in the Umpire Ejection Fantasy League blog, after Pujols thought there were three outs on a groundout.