The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Question Pitch or throw?

Bases loaded, two outs, and the runner on third takes a long lead as if he is going to break for the plate.

Pitcher sees him, steps off the rubber and throws to the catcher behind the plate. The batter swings at the ball and drives it off the right field fence for a double.

What's the correct ruling? Is this a pitch, or a throw to an infielder and thus not a legal pitch? Can you provide OBR ruling in such an instance? Thanks for the help
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb33 View Post
Bases loaded, two outs, and the runner on third takes a long lead as if he is going to break for the plate.

Pitcher sees him, steps off the rubber and throws to the catcher behind the plate. The batter swings at the ball and drives it off the right field fence for a double.

What's the correct ruling? Is this a pitch, or a throw to an infielder and thus not a legal pitch? Can you provide OBR ruling in such an instance? Thanks for the help
He stepped off. What does that make him? Can that type of player deliver a pitch?
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

8.01 (e) If the pitcher removes his pivot foot from contact with the pitcher's plate by stepping backward with that foot, he thereby becomes an infielder...

7.09 (d) It is interference by a batter or a runner when before two are out and a runner on third base, the batter hinders a fielder in making a play at home base; the runner is out;

PENALTY FOR INTERFERENCE:
The runner is out and the ball is dead.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

That is an interesting rule.

May I tell my pitcher to step off and hit the batter to get an out in this situation? (Not that I would)

Or does one have an arguement that there was no play at the plate due to the runner not actually stealing home?
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Dykhoff View Post
May I tell my pitcher to step off and hit the batter to get an out in this situation?

Section 2.00 (definitions) INTERFERENCE: (a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with...

To interfere requires the transgressor to commit an act. Standing there getting hit in the butt doesn't meet this requirement IMO.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is an interesting rule.

May I tell my pitcher to step off and hit the batter to get an out in this situation? (Not that I would)

Or does one have an arguement that there was no play at the plate due to the runner not actually stealing home?
The batter being hit by a throw would not be out (providing he did not intentionally interfere).

In the OP the batter would be out for batting a throw that was an attempt to retire a runner.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Would it be concidered a rat move if I tried to get the batter to hit the ball in this situation from my pitcher?
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would it be concidered a rat move if I tried to get the batter to hit the ball in this situation from my pitcher?
YES!

Thanks
David
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Haha ok, just checking.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To do that might mean (or be interpreted) that your F1 made a pitching motion while not on the rubber. That's a whole different rule.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
8.01 (e) If the pitcher removes his pivot foot from contact with the pitcher's plate by stepping backward with that foot, he thereby becomes an infielder...

7.09 (d) It is interference by a batter or a runner when before two are out and a runner on third base, the batter hinders a fielder in making a play at home base; the runner is out;

PENALTY FOR INTERFERENCE:
The runner is out and the ball is dead.
Incorrect. Why bold the rule if you're going to unbold the part that makes it not apply to the current situation.

The BATTER is out in the OP.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Yes, you always have an out on this play, but with less than 2 outs you nail RUNNER and with 2 outs you nail BATTER.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Incorrect. Why bold the rule if you're going to unbold the part that makes it not apply to the current situation.

The BATTER is out in the OP.
Thanks. I forgot the OP specified 2 outs. My bad. Batter is out in OP.
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Free speech being what it is, you can tell your pitcher anything you want.

However, that tactic will start a beanball war and/or get your F1 - and likely you, if the umpire knows** you ordered it - ejected.

**granted, not that likely, unless you were unwise enough to yell it out loud at the time of the play or something.
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Say no outs, runner is put out as a result of the BR interference, what happens to BR then, does he contnue to bat?