The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

fubar on dropped third strike

runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 out and a 3-2 count on batter. On pitch runners take off and F2 drops called strike 3 and batter tears off for first. I am BU and position myself for the play at first. F2 throws ball over head of F3 and R1 and R2 keep advancing. BR stays on bag at first while F3 makes throw to plate - but no play there. Time is called.

Coach comes out and appeals runners advancing says UIC called BR out saying he couldn't advance as 1st base was occupied. - visiting HC is out saying it was a dropped 3rd strike and legal. UIC calls me in and asked what I had. I told him that observed that BR was safe at 1st and R2 scored and R1 safe at third. He gets deer in headlight look and tells me that he said "strike three - batters out". Don't ask my why - he knows better - has more experience than me. He says he wants to change call and correct mistake.

I may very well be wrong - but we put BR on first as he reached 1st safely regardless of what UIC said. R2 was placed at 3rd adn R1 was placed at second. We advanced them 1 base from time of pitch as some players "stopped playing" when UIC called BR out -0 which would have been 3rd out of inning.

How could I have done better from BU position. I know that UIC should only have called strike three without saying anything else.

What say you?
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Wanna get away?
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

How can I say anything... "Time Out" is called and I am standing on edge of grass letting my partner sit in the grease a little while.

Did F2 throw it over F3's head because UIC said he was out?
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

I guess the real question is - did the umpire's call alter anything. If not (and it sounds like not as they kept playing), there's nothing to fix. He didn't say "TIME" or "Dead Ball!" or otherwise kill the play. An out doesn't kill the play, and in some cases, even an apparent 3rd out might not kill it.

I think you've got a run in and nothing to fix here.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post

I think you've got a run in and nothing to fix here.
That is what I was wondering. However, some players did stop playing - ie Right Fielder was actually running in toward dugout instead of backing up 1st baseman which is why we went the other way. Just didn't feel quite right.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Gotta eat it

I would let PU explain his call and send coach back to the dugout with two outs.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

You say that R1 & R2 kept advancing - where did they advance to? Let's say that they both scored on the bad throw to 1st. Send the coaches to their dugouts, score 2, 2 out. Also, who the heck called TIME? Execute that dummy as quickly as possible!

It looks like all the trouble started when TIME was called. Your partner's stupid call of ".... the batter is out" proves that this exactly what should not be said because the batter may not always be out.

In this instance, there were 2 out so the batter can attempt to advance on a 3rd strike not caught. Just because the defense stops playing doesn't mean we call TIME, either.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
ie Right Fielder was actually running in toward dugout instead of backing up 1st baseman which is why we went the other way.
I find it hard to believe that F9 heard the PU say "Batter's out" if you didn't hear it. It appears to me that F9 ASSUMED batter was out due to a runner being on 1B.

As others said, let the play stand the way it finished.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

F9 must have assumed. I didn't hear PU call batter out but I did hear "strike three". I think that may be what sent F9 packing.

I REALLY wish he would not have come to me - especially on such a stupid move on his part.

Once he did come to me, it was like everyone - including PU expected me to wave a magic wand and fix everything. I felt like the bus drove over me AND backed up to see what it hit. I'll admit by the time it was over I was really shaking my head wishing I wasn't even there.

The good news was - the rest of "my" calls were solid and I got a compliment from each coach along with some advice to send PU to "t-ball" or take the plate myself from now on.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

I am PU. R1, 1 out. Ground ball fielded and play is made for force out at second, FPSL. I come out to observe play at second and then afterwards turn to first and watch runner pass first and F3 has possesion of ball. BU called safe. Beats the hell out of me.

Def coach comes out and my partner comes to me for help with play at first. I tell him I have nothing. He says I didn't see it either???? I tell him "well stick with your call then."

Guess who has to toss Offensive coach because someone changed their call.

Sometimes you just have to umpire and sometimes you just have to shutup and stick with your mistake.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I am PU. R1, 1 out. Ground ball fielded and play is made for force out at second, FPSL. I come out to observe play at second and then afterwards turn to first and watch runner pass first and F3 has possesion of ball. BU called safe. Beats the hell out of me.

Def coach comes out and my partner comes to me for help with play at first. I tell him I have nothing. He says I didn't see it either???? I tell him "well stick with your call then."

Guess who has to toss Offensive coach because someone changed their call.

Sometimes you just have to umpire and sometimes you just have to shutup and stick with your mistake.
You in the wrong post, but I play along. FPSR implies that something illegal happened. If you are PU you should have the call since BU is turning for play at 1B after calling R1 out on the force. Pick a hand to point with but I generally point at the violation with left with conviction and turn to BR and give the out call towards him. Why you see nothing if you think you saw a FPSR violation? Why you mention it if not? You say BR pass first and F3 has the ball. Did he have the ball when BR touched first or not. He has it as runner is past first but did he have it before, you are not clear on point.

If partner asks for help give him what you have, not don't say I did not see it, but if you are watching 2b for potential FPSR violation, you very well may not see it, since not your job.

You say stick with the call but offensive coach was EJ because the call was changed. I just so confused. Did he change the call after neither of you admitted to seeing it. I just so confused.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

DG my point was, sometimes when you make a mistake, just suck it up and stay with your call. My partner should have and so should have the two officials in this thread.

Maybe my input was not clear however, there was no violation at second and I did my job in observing the play at second. By the time I turned toward first the play was over. When he asked for help that is what I told him and only him, also that I did not see the play at first. He then changed his call and I had to clean up the mess.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
DG my point was, sometimes when you make a mistake, just suck it up and stay with your call. My partner should have and so should have the two officials in this thread.

Maybe my input was not clear however, there was no violation at second and I did my job in observing the play at second. By the time I turned toward first the play was over. When he asked for help that is what I told him and only him, also that I did not see the play at first. He then changed his call and I had to clean up the mess.
He admitted he did not see an out, but changed a safe call to out and then dumped OFF coach. I wonder why.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
F9 must have assumed. I didn't hear PU call batter out but I did hear "strike three". I think that may be what sent F9 packing.

I REALLY wish he would not have come to me - especially on such a stupid move on his part.

Once he did come to me, it was like everyone - including PU expected me to wave a magic wand and fix everything. I felt like the bus drove over me AND backed up to see what it hit. I'll admit by the time it was over I was really shaking my head wishing I wasn't even there.

The good news was - the rest of "my" calls were solid and I got a compliment from each coach along with some advice to send PU to "t-ball" or take the plate myself from now on.
Don't let this go no matter if he screwed it up or not. He is your teammate on the field, so don't let them take shots at him. It sounds like they said it after the game, but I would still respond to them.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 11:42pm
In Time Out

Quote:
R1, R2, 2 out 3-2 runners moving; F2 drops called strike 3 B advances to first. I am BU; B-R safe at first; R1 and R2 to 3B/scored. Time. Coach comes out and appeals runners advancing says UIC called BR out. PU says he wants to change call and correct mistake.
Quote:
Fine, let him.
BR on first as etc etc etc
Anything you and PU do at this point is going to be a fiasco, just let PU do whatever he wants.