The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

a thought from my first game: with runners on 1st and 2nd the BU is in the C position. isn't it tough to get a good look at a pickoff play at 1st? you're very far away from that play.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
a thought from my first game: with runners on 1st and 2nd the BU is in the C position. isn't it tough to get a good look at a pickoff play at 1st? you're very far away from that play.
Yes it it difficult, you just have make sure you have a good angle. Or, as we like to teach our umpires, stay in B. You are closer to the play at first and still have a great angle to 3rd. (but that depends on what is taught in your association or group - of course)

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Yes it it difficult, you just have make sure you have a good angle. Or, as we like to teach our umpires, stay in B. You are closer to the play at first and still have a great angle to 3rd. (but that depends on what is taught in your association or group - of course)

Thanks
David
we follow PBUC which has B only for 1st and 1st/3rd. that play really hangs the BU out to dry since the first base coach is right on top of it--i had one today where i called him out. actually it was the 3rd base coach who was upset about that one and not the 1st base coach, which means i probably got it right.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Who picks at first or even holds runners on at first with runners on first and second? Any coach worth a flip will play his F3 behind the runner in that situation.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
... Any coach worth a flip will play his F3 behind the runner in that situation.
Z,

I believe he said it was a HS JV game.

Res ipsa loquitor.

JM
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
First, why are they holding the runner to begin with? Very bush, even for JV (there are some pretty serious JV teams out here). I see it once in a while in adult leagues and do a little chuckle over it. That, and inexperienced F3's who don't know how to hold a runner to start with. Always good for a hoot.

Second, C is plenty good enough. Better angle, actually. It's not that hard of a call. Coaches (yeah, yeah, present company excepted, I know) usually don't know their a$$ from their elbow about right or wrong calls anyway, so you probably nailed it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats on getting the first one done!! Sounds like you did alright. Keep it up.

Oh yeah - your calls were WAY too fast, slow down. Remember, it ain't nothin' 'til you call it.