The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

When umpJJ and I work together, the most important aspect of our pre game is to assure we have both taken our pre game ibuprofen/advil. Our surgically repaired bodies demand it!!!!!
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
FYI, I see more JV/Frosh games preceding Varsity...since it is easier to get a JV/Frosh game to completion in 15 minutes.
I don't understand why the JV/Fr games start 15 minutes later. If they were at the same school, I could see ADs thinking that it gives the Var coach a chance to pull a JV player if someone doesn't show. However, a lot of the JV/Var games are played at different schools.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OBR

I started counting the number of pregame situations, mechanics and other matters partners, according to TOF Members, were to have conversations and agreements and stopped at 50. This is absurd.

In real life, most umpires do not have a notebook that would list all 50, then the ones their partner would need to discuss, add to those the ones I skipped...ain't happening. Would take hours and no one would remember them all anyway.

Does anyone have a list they would like to share that could be handled in less than 15 minutes...since most umpires do not have the luxury of getting to weekday games hours in advance?
1) Make eye contact/read each other
2) Don't screw up
3) Make eye contact.

That one works for me when I am pressed for time.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:15am
In Time Out

I am amazed that the pregames mentioned by many include many basic mechanics and long standing rules and few new rules and new mechanics.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am amazed that the pregames mentioned by many include many basic mechanics and long standing rules and few new rules and new mechanics.
The game is over 100 years old, how much new stuff is there to cover?
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Especially when working with new partners, I think it makes perfect sense to go over coverage. You probably don't have to cover the super simple things like "R1 any outs, PU has R1 into 3rd" in two man, but you'll probably want to mention R1-R2 less than two outs in order to get hand signals down and make sure you're on the same page.

Last weekend I had a series with two new partners, and it was my first 3-man game of the year. We were all there over an hour early for the first game, but I'd say we put together a good 30 minutes of pre-game talk (coverage, responsibilities, tendencies, typical ground rules, 20/90 second clock talk, etc). On top of that, we discussed tendencies of the coaches since both partners are experienced in that conference. Additionally, we talked about one of the teams being notorious for sticking elbows into pitches, and that actually paid off.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Not much, but not everyone has the same knowledge, experience, and abilities. I'd rather know 30 minutes before game-time that my partner doesn't know where to be in some situation than to have that situation happen while his back is turned.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2011, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I take it you've been around for over 100 years?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2011, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
I take it you've been around for over 100 years?
Sometimes I feel like it.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2011, 12:24pm
In Time Out

Originally Posted by Simply The Best
Quote:
Depending on your locale, the organization (PONY, LL, MSBL, IBL, etc.) or the ruleset (OBR, NFHS,....) there could be quite a lot. But that isn't the point I was making. The point I was making is that it is amazing that basic mechanics have to be pre-gamed in the first place when experienced umpires are involved.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2011, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
My schedule shows Xs, Rs and Cs. I trust that my assignor puts guys on games who are equal to the task. I have to admit that as much as I enjoy working with the best veterans, the times I get to call a game with a rookie are really fun. I recall long ago working with guys who had a sleeve full of accomplishments (Illinois issues a State Final patch to those assigned) and soaking up their wisdom and knowledge of local coaches. The best advice I received from one of them is to return the favor some day. I hope to do that.

The IHSA assigns post season games based on performance. Not only do Cs rate fellow umpires but we also can compose a Top 15 list to help inform them of who we think is worthy. Coaches rate us every game (at least they are supposed to) and submit a Top 15 list as well. Local umpire groups also have Top 15 lists. The IHSA takes these into consideration when placing umpires on playoff games. They have no input on regular season assignments though.

Jimmy Buffet said it best. I'm growing older, but not up.
Mike - we are working together on Monday. Thanks for providing me all this history and perspective for our first meeting. I understand that you have been officiating for many many years and that this is your first year in our association. Welcome aboard. You will be afforded all the respect of a veteran official...and all of the initiation rituals of a Freshman pledge.

With that in mind...a few notes for the Freshman member:

Your dish - I look forward to your pre-game
Ribs and beer are on you
We wear black
We wear charcoal
In consideration for your years of experience - don't worry - I'll polish my own shoes

See you Monday (Bill Klem and Poseidon willing). Looking forward to it.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2011, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does anyone have a list they would like to share that could be handled in less than 15 minutes...since most umpires do not have the luxury of getting to weekday games hours in advance?
On a bouncing ball I have it up to the front of the bag, if it bounce over it is your call. If you go out I will take the runner into 3b, you have him at the plate (rarely happens but beautiful when it does and we on same page). Runner on 1b and ball leaves the infield I will take him into 3b, if ball does not leave infield he is yours. Runners on 1st and 2nd with less than 2 out and fly ball to outfield I will come up and take runner into 3rd if he goes. If a batter fouls one off his body in the box, and I don't see it, kill it for me. If I come to you on check swing give me what you got because if I missed a strike I want it back, I am automatic, if they ask, I come to you no matter where you are. Rundowns, you have both ends till I get in position to help and I will say I have this end. Go over some basic signs. Basic stuff, anything else we need to go over?

2 minutes, on walk to the field or while dressing. Sometimes, partner will ask about a situation not mentioned that came up in another game and we cover that. Otherwise, play ball. I usually work with experienced partners I have worked with before. Sometimes I work with someone I have worked with a lot and, shame on us, no pregame.

Last edited by DG; Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 09:49pm.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best
Depending on your locale, the organization (PONY, LL, MSBL, IBL, etc.) or the ruleset (OBR, NFHS,....) there could be quite a lot. But that isn't the point I was making. The point I was making is that it is amazing that basic mechanics have to be pre-gamed in the first place when experienced umpires are involved.
I agree, here is my honest effort, keep in mind that the majority of my games are 3-man played under the NCAA code:

1) Make eye contact - we can't work together if we don't see each other.
2) Fair/Foul - we all know bag and beyond, use it, but be ready to give or receive if needed espeacially in the cut-out and the dirt circle (make eye contact and read your partners)
3)Half-swing - give me what you have and if you use feel comfortable with 2 strikes where the ball is not caught, give what you have as soon as you can
4) Out-field coverage - there is no straight back, the fielder either opens to you or to me, go off of that. (unless we work a lot and we we can switch if we are good at making eye contact and under stand 3-man well enough to be able too.)
5) Ball pins U3 with no one on - U1 help a brotha out and cover B/R into 2nd.
6) Pick up tag-ups when you can - don't leave your responsibilities, but if you have nothing going on, keep umpire and help out. (i'd write down examples, but don't want to put it in writing here, haha)
7)With new NCAA mechanic of U1 @ 1st with 2 out, read U3 and let him dictate if we reverse rotate or if we hold.
8) PU can expect help on dropped 3rd strike from wings - closed fist up and very visible, don't hide it.
9) 20/90 sec clock - get it and get it early (no slack)
10) if you need help, get it - but we all get together
11) if you eject someone walk away - don't run away, just eject and walk, after about 10-15 feet it is ok to stop and hold, no need to keep walking in circles as he is chasing you, looks bad
12) have fun, stay loose, don't screw up, and don't worry if you do as most coaches don't fully understand the rules anyway
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

#1 on this list is the most important by far.

This past weekend during the first game of the series on the first fly ball of the game there was a ball hit where F8 turned toward U1 and ended up crashing into the wall and dropping the ball. U3 felt that U1 was reading too long and thought he wasn't going to go out so he did, just as U1 started out. So now we have 2 going out, after 4-5 hard steps out, U1 turned to read U3 and saw that he was headed out, U1 then raced for the 3rd base coaches box and got there just in time for the play. This is wrong and not the way the CCA covers it or says it should be done. A mistake was made, but no one except the 3 umpires and probably the evaluator know that it was made because we made eye contact and everyone kept umpiring. U1 enjoyed several adult soda's that evening compliments of U3.