The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 02:43pm
In Time Out

Thumbs down Pre-Game

OBR

I started counting the number of pregame situations, mechanics and other matters partners, according to TOF Members, were to have conversations and agreements and stopped at 50. This is absurd.

In real life, most umpires do not have a notebook that would list all 50, then the ones their partner would need to discuss, add to those the ones I skipped...ain't happening. Would take hours and no one would remember them all anyway.

Does anyone have a list they would like to share that could be handled in less than 15 minutes...since most umpires do not have the luxury of getting to weekday games hours in advance?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

my list

with veteran partners, its goes something like this...wish I could remember where I got this, I'd like to give proper credit....

Cover Fair/foul responsibilities
Cover Outfield responsibilities
Infield Fly
Rules discussion
Points of emphasis
Bat check procedure
Good hustle
Good communication (signals)
Good timing
Get the plays right
Get the rules right

hit the field.....

Last edited by piaa_ump; Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 03:19pm. Reason: added credit for origination (not mine)
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

This season will see me working with a number of new partners for high school and college games. I don't anticipate the luxury of short pre-game conferences, but they beat long post-games by far. Unless, of course, they involve beer and ribs rather than discussing nightmares from the past contest.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

UMPIRES PRE GAME

RECENT RULE CHANGES- COMPOSITE BAT, CONCUSSION SYMPTOMS
NO RUNNERS ON BASE- COVERAGE AND ROTATION
FAIR/FOUL BAG TO POLE FROM A
PU-TAGS, TOUCHES, INTERFERENCE,OBSTRUCTION TO 1ST
GOING OUT/ROTATION- BACK TO HOME IF NEEDED
LINE DRIVE/TRAP BALL
RUNNERS ON BASE- COVERAGE AND ROTATION
R1 OR R3 AND R1- PU HAS PLAY AT THIRD ON BASE HIT TO OUTFIELD
R1 AND R2, LESS THAN 2 OUTS- PU HAS 3RD ON TAG UP
R2 ONLY, LESS THAN 2 OUTS- BU HAS EVERYTHING
FLY BALL COVERAGE- BIG V, LITTLE V
LINE DRIVE/TRAP BALL- VERBALIZE CATCH, NO CATCH
TAG UPS COVERAGE- PU HAS 3RD, TAGS BEHIND PARTNERS BACK
BASE TOUCH COVERAGE- PU HAS 3RD, TOUCHES BEHIND PARTNER
SECOND PLAY ON INFIELD- BASE UMPIRE IF BALL DOES NOT LEAVE INF
PUT BALL BACK IN PLAY- AFTER EVERY DEAD BALL
CHECKED SWING APPEALS- DID HE GO?
KILL BATTER HIT BY BATTED BALL/PITCH
ECHO BALK CALLS
DROPPED THIRD STRIKE- POINT TO GROUND IF DOWN
ASKING FOR HELP- BEFORE MAKING THE CALL
COACH REQUESTS YOU TO ASK FOR HELP- BE CAREFUL HERE
ANY FIELD ISSUES- HELP ON ARGUMENT AFTER PARTNER TURNS AWAY
SIGNALS- IFF, TIME PLAY, ROTATIONS- OUTS
DARKNESS, RAIN
EJECTIONS
CHECK BATS, HELMETS/ HOME FIRST/ TOGETHER
EXIT PLAN

COACHES PREGAME

INTRODUCTIONS- NO SUNGLASSES
EXCHANGE LINEUPS- TAKE HOME TEAM FIRST
GROUND RULES- COACH TAKE US AROUND
ARE PLAYERS LEGAL AND PROPERLY EQUIPPED?
SPORTSMANSHIP
GOOD LUCK

We are able to get this done in about ten minutes, even with some added discussion on some items. Anything you would add to this list?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

I hit on the following:

1. Fly Ball Coverage
2. Line Drive Coverage
3. All Rotations
4. Run Downs
5. Coverage with BU going foul with pressure or BU going out.
6. Signals
7. Foul ball in the box.

A little more if it's a new guy.

I don't tell my partner how to umpire.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco53 View Post
UMPIRES PRE GAME

COACHES PREGAME

INTRODUCTIONS- NO SUNGLASSES
EXCHANGE LINEUPS- TAKE HOME TEAM FIRST
GROUND RULES- COACH TAKE US AROUND
ARE PLAYERS LEGAL AND PROPERLY EQUIPPED?
SPORTSMANSHIP
GOOD LUCK

OP specified OBR. No need for sunglasses mention (even in FED, actually), No need to ask if properly equipped, no need to touch on sportsmanship. I agree in FED those get touched on.

As for the OP, these are some of the things that tend to change with varsity umpires and higher, from my experience.

1) Fair / foul responsibility - are we going to the bag or the cutout?
2) Going out on trouble... GO!
3) Rundown responsibilities, half? end?
4) Pre-pitch signals
5) Any weird ground rules
6) If we get trouble... (either crew consult or ejections)
7) Ask PU if he has cup, brush, indicator, pen, lineup card holder, and judgment.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
OP specified OBR. No need for sunglasses mention (even in FED, actually), No need to ask if properly equipped, no need to touch on sportsmanship. I agree in FED those get touched on.
I think he's saying that we should not wear our glasses during the intros.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 11:43pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
This season will see me working with a number of new partners for high school and college games. I don't anticipate the luxury of short pre-game conferences, but they beat long post-games by far.
How long before the game are your HS and NCAA officials requied to be at the field? Maybe I am misinterpreting your answer but ime, especially with HS games starting at 1800hrs +/-, most umpires have to hustle from work to make game time.
Quote:
Unless, of course, they involve beer and ribs rather than discussing nightmares from the past contest.
lol
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
How long before the game are your HS and NCAA officials requied to be at the field? Maybe I am misinterpreting your answer but ime, especially with HS games starting at 1800hrs +/-, most umpires have to hustle from work to make game time.
6pm? Lucky you. Most of our Varsity games are 4pm, with JV and Freshmen at 4:15.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
How long before the game are your HS and NCAA officials requied to be at the field? Maybe I am misinterpreting your answer but ime, especially with HS games starting at 1800hrs +/-, most umpires have to hustle from work to make game time.lol
My comment was meant to infer that I will take my pre-games more seriously this year. After being out of the country for so long, many faces have changed and I am working with a new assignor. I would rather spend ten minutes covering pre-game than a half hour writing reports or discussing how we could have prevented a fire. Most of the guys here have given the basics and I would probably spend a minute or two simply getting comfortable with my partner(s) experience level. In Illinois we have three designations - Registered, Recognized and Certified. I learned long ago that some X's are far better than some C's. Some guys stay at the lowest designation because they work full collegiate schedules and just a handful of HS games. A couple former MiLB guys are in the same boat. I take nothing for granted any more - the new breed of umpires seem to be light years ahead of where I was at their age and it makes me glad to have them on the field with me.

I try to get to the field an hour prior to game start. That allows me to unwind, converse with partner(s) and find a place to keep my 44 year old prostate content. It's hell getting old!
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 08:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Some games in our area start at 4:30, but thankfully most have moved to 5pm.

I work with the same handful of guys all season long, so our pregame is typically short.

I like the "no sunglasses" thing. Just another thing thought up by someone with too much time on his hands. If it's sunny, I'm in sunglasses all the time. I'm not going to stick them in my hat for a 5 minute or less meeting.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 09:47am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
6pm? Lucky you. Most of our Varsity games are 4pm, with JV and Freshmen at 4:15.
Don't officiate FED but I concur that many weekday games do start at 1600hrs. Which makes the extended pregame less and less possible unless both umpires are independently wealthy, retired or on the USGOV's dole.

Or they would have to have a very flexible employer and/or very flexible hours.

FYI, I see more JV/Frosh games preceding Varsity...since it is easier to get a JV/Frosh game to completion in 15 minutes.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 09:50am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
My comment was meant to infer that I will take my pre-games more seriously this year. After being out of the country for so long, many faces have changed and I am working with a new assignor. I would rather spend ten minutes covering pre-game than a half hour writing reports or discussing how we could have prevented a fire. Most of the guys here have given the basics and I would probably spend a minute or two simply getting comfortable with my partner(s) experience level. In Illinois we have three designations - Registered, Recognized and Certified. I learned long ago that some X's are far better than some C's. Some guys stay at the lowest designation because they work full collegiate schedules and just a handful of HS games. A couple former MiLB guys are in the same boat. I take nothing for granted any more - the new breed of umpires seem to be light years ahead of where I was at their age and it makes me glad to have them on the field with me.
Do partners get assigned by certification e.g. Regs with Regs, etc.)?
Quote:
I try to get to the field an hour prior to game start. That allows me to unwind, converse with partner(s) and find a place to keep my 44 year old prostate content. It's hell getting old!
I wouldn't know, I refuse age.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

My schedule shows Xs, Rs and Cs. I trust that my assignor puts guys on games who are equal to the task. I have to admit that as much as I enjoy working with the best veterans, the times I get to call a game with a rookie are really fun. I recall long ago working with guys who had a sleeve full of accomplishments (Illinois issues a State Final patch to those assigned) and soaking up their wisdom and knowledge of local coaches. The best advice I received from one of them is to return the favor some day. I hope to do that.

The IHSA assigns post season games based on performance. Not only do Cs rate fellow umpires but we also can compose a Top 15 list to help inform them of who we think is worthy. Coaches rate us every game (at least they are supposed to) and submit a Top 15 list as well. Local umpire groups also have Top 15 lists. The IHSA takes these into consideration when placing umpires on playoff games. They have no input on regular season assignments though.

Jimmy Buffet said it best. I'm growing older, but not up.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I like the "no sunglasses" thing. Just another thing thought up by someone with too much time on his hands. If it's sunny, I'm in sunglasses all the time. I'm not going to stick them in my hat for a 5 minute or less meeting.
I actually started making a conscious effort this year to remove my sunglasses before the plate meeting. I like the idea of making good eye contact with each manager. Not saying it's right or wrong, just how I like to do it.