The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool Proper channels

So, let's just say, for the sake of argument, that an umpire applied for "promotion" within his state's HS association, and one of the requirements was to attain a "passing" grade on the FED "Part II" multiple choice online test.

Further, let's say while taking said test, the umpire found 2 questions (8% of the questions presented) were simply "wrong". Let's say for one, the "answer key" was wrong - though one of the multiple choice options was a correct answer to the question presented, while for the other, NONE of the choices presented was correct. I'm not saying "poorly worded", "too tricky", "ambiguous", or anything like that - just flat-out, demonstrably WRONG.

Let's also say that the umpire achieved the required score and couldn't care less about having his score "adjusted" or anything like that.

What would be the "proper channel" to point out these errors to the proper people without coming across like a whiner, a know-it-all, a jerk, or whatever? Who ARE the proper people? Does it vary from one state to the next? Would they care? Would they just as soon not be bothered?

What say you?

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Sat Apr 02, 2011 at 09:51pm.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Which #'d questions are you refering to?
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

UMPTT,

I thought I had presented it as a "hypothetical".

But, you might want to check your e-mail.

JM
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Leave it alone. I have yet to see a test without mistakes.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

If the questions had no bearing on the promotion, or you missing the questions became the difference of a certain level (for example, you're the #2-ranked instead of the #1-ranked), I would bring it up to the association. Have the questions exactly as written, as well as rule book cites, case plays, and any other relevant information to prove the answer was incorrect. I would request a meeting with whomever is responsible for the promotions.

Now, the ethical question is whether someone else was passed up for a promotion (or someone got a promotion) because of the incorrect answers. In your case, where the questions don't have a huge bearing on your status, I'd probably email the same details to the people responsible for the promotions. It's possible they'll evaluate the questions and re-evaluate the promotions or non-promotions.

Other than your association, good luck. There's wrong questions every year, and we're instructed by our association to either (1) give the incorrect answer on the test, knowing what the correct answer is; or (2) miss the question.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I agree, every state does it differently and for as long as I've known, there is always some that feel the test is totally unfair. I also know that there are blantly wrong answers too.

However it always basically came down to "it is what it is". Good Luck
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 11:54am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
...an umpire applied for "promotion" within his state's HS association, and one of the requirements was to attain a "passing" grade on the FED "Part II" multiple choice online test. What say you?
Pass the test.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Further, let's say while taking said test, the umpire found 2 questions (8% of the questions presented) were simply "wrong".

Let's also say that the umpire achieved the required score and couldn't care less about having his score "adjusted" or anything like that.

What would be the "proper channel" to point out these errors to the proper people without coming across like a whiner, a know-it-all, a jerk, or whatever? Who ARE the proper people? Does it vary from one state to the next?

JM
In my state 2 questions would be 2% of the test. And there is a process to appeal...in writing to the state association, with documentation to backup claim, within 10 days of the test. I doubt local assoc ever knows about it, and it has no impact on assignments. I have sent in a few times and they agree sometimes, sometimes not. I don't do it anymore, waste of time.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

JM,
This year, the Part II test was conceived by the IHSA Rule Interpreters. If you are seeking redress then Craig A. would be the man to handle issues. Drop me an email and we can talk about specifics.

Mike
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
JM,
This year, the Part II test was conceived by the IHSA Rule Interpreters.
Thanks for clearing that up. I see various posts come up on various boards and some people were clearly talking about a "different" Part II test.

Quote:
If you are seeking redress then Craig A. would be the man to handle issues. Drop me an email and we can talk about specifics.

Mike
Not how I would say it, because I don't have any kind of "grievance" that I want addressed. I just thought they'd want to know. Were it me, I would.

JM
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Leave it alone. I have yet to see a test without mistakes.
got to agree with dash here....if you arent on the test committee....leave sleeping dogs lay......
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

piaa_ump,

I believe that's "lie". (Damn Jesuits!)

Nonetheless, thanks to you, dash, and the other gentlemen who have offered me your wise counsel and assistance in the matter.

I believe my question has been answered.

JM
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piaa_ump View Post
leave sleeping dogs lay......
Yikes! A double grammar disaster there!