The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

On a 2 man team what is the proper positioning of BU with runners on base?
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mi-Umpire
What level of ball are you referring to?
60'/90' Diamond?

for 90'...

with runner on 1st only, BU should be in the B position which is behind the pitcher on the 1st base side between the pitcher and 2nd base (More toward the pitcher to see a potential pick-off play).

With runners on 2nd and/or 3rd or bases loaded, the BU should be in the C position which is behind the pitcher on the 3rd base side between the pitcher and 2nd base.

for 60'...

the same positioning (B & C) accept you will now be on the outside of the infield. Since there is no lead offs there are no pick-offs.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mi-Umpire
This changes according to where the runners are located and what person if giving you advise. For a more documented recommendation, I would visit officiating.com. Look under Childress's Library along the left hand side and review his recommendations.

Regardless, we are basically talking about either being in the "B" or "C" positions. These are explained.

Whatever you do though, don't get in the habit of standing almost directly behind the pitcher. This especially makes it difficult when an official with some type of white baseball crest on there jersy stands behind the release point of the pitcher. It makes it much more difficult to see the pitch, from both the batters and plate umpires perspective. Just a personal gripe of mine.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on which reference you read. FED, OBR and NCAA are all not the same. For example, with runners on 1B and 3B, FED would say BU is in the B. Minor league baseball would say C for this situation. On the small diamond I see a lot of guys working in the middle when they should be working behind the infielders. This is a broad question.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 12:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
It depends on which reference you read. FED, OBR and NCAA are all not the same. For example, with runners on 1B and 3B, FED would say BU is in the B. Minor league baseball would say C for this situation. On the small diamond I see a lot of guys working in the middle when they should be working behind the infielders. This is a broad question.
It's actually the other way around.

The CCA manual and the pro teaching is that you are in B for R1, R1+R3. You are in C for R2 only, R1+R2, R2+R3, R3 only, and bases loaded.

The FED puts the umpire in C for R1+R3, but nobody I know works that, even in FED games.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
There can even be local differences. For example, our high school association teaches it like this:

.........1st
....1st.......3rd
1st......2nd......3rd

They teach new umpires to just remember the trangle above for "B," and for all other runners on base you'd be in "C."

It works for us.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
It's actually the other way around.

The CCA manual and the pro teaching is that you are in B for R1, R1+R3. You are in C for R2 only, R1+R2, R2+R3, R3 only, and bases loaded.

The FED puts the umpire in C for R1+R3, but nobody I know works that, even in FED games.
Thanks for correction. I looked at what I wrote again and could not believe I wrote it. What was I thinking? It's like sometimes when I take a rules test and there are always a couple questions that I missed that when I see them I say "what in the heck was I thinking?"
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 09:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
There can even be local differences. For example, our high school association teaches it like this:

.........1st
....1st.......3rd
1st......2nd......3rd

They teach new umpires to just remember the trangle above for "B," and for all other runners on base you'd be in "C."

It works for us.
And in the end it doesn't matter -- the positions are just starting points anyway.

I like B for a lot of situations, but since I worked about 50% college games this spring, I decided to go strictly CCA for all my games.

--Rich
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

I change it for age groups as well, based on who is likely to be stealing (if any) and when (pitcher's release or ball crosses plate). Also based on one particular team that bunts a lot - infielders start playing in, and I actually get comfortable playing inside the diamond on a small diamond when they are in that far.

The key is - anticipate where you are most likely to be needed and where you can START to ensure you are able to be in position for that call; adjust a little if it's likely you may have to make a call elsewhere as well.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Only comment I can make to this is when there are 2 outs, I'm always @ B. Defenses will 'almost' always go to 1st with 2 outs and more of a chance of bang-bang there. Thoughts?
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp
Only comment I can make to this is when there are 2 outs, I'm always @ B. Defenses will 'almost' always go to 1st with 2 outs and more of a chance of bang-bang there. Thoughts?
In the time it takes for a "bang-bang" play to occur, you can get to where you need to be from C just as easily as you can get there from B.

Old Thu May 27, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

R1&R3 vs. Bases Loaded

Why do we go to B with R1 & R3, but C with bases loaded? It seems that B would be just as good, and give you a better angle on the pick on R2
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 08:48am

New positioning for bases

The new mechanic employed in Illinois this Spring was a modified "B" for runners on 2 & 3 or bases loaded.

By modified, I mean the umpire locates himself in a deeper "B" but his body is turned perpendicular to the third baseline. You can still see the pick off at 1 (bases loaded) but are positioned where the more important action will be. This is also terrific when there are two outs (R2&3), since most of the plays happen at first.

It seems to work pretty well.
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ecurebel
also with this you have to accept if there is aau ball being played because the umpire stands inside the diamond for 10 and over because of leading off and pick off plays. while 9 year olds he stands outside of the diamond for leading off to early.

it all depends on the age group and rules in question. each age group or set of rules could bring up a different answer.

so is it aau/fed, babe ruth/cal ripkin, dixie youth, tar heel, or little league? what ages are the kids? all these are factors to render a proper positioning of the field umpire.

i would say that if there is no leading off then you should be outside, if there are leading off then you should be inside. other than that i can not answer your question without a further response with clarifications