The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Pitcher going to mouth part 2

College rules

pitcher standing behind rubber, goes to mouth, wipes, then steps on rubber.

Legal in college rules? Rules same as mlb right?

Anyway, got a call about this. I said that was OK as long as the hand was wiped and pitcher was not on rubber.

The umpire went to the manager, said this is a no can do. (which i believe is wrong)

What is the pitchers options at this point? Should he question the umpire?
If the umpire does believe that this is illegal, now what?
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigda65 View Post
College rules

What is the pitchers options at this point? Should he question the umpire?
If the umpire does believe that this is illegal, now what?
It would be like telling the police officer his obervation of you speeding was totally wrong and continuing to argue until he halls your butt to the station.

Comply with the umpires ruling and have the HC come out and put some doubt in the umpires mind. Or in between innings have head coach speak to the umpire in a non-argumentive voice.

If the official is half way decent he will make sure and look it up after the game and adjust. If his is just arrogant, then speak to the assignor. If that don't work, find a new association.

Orrrrrrrrrrrr, you can have the pitcher argue till he is blue in the face, swear at the umpire and get thrown out, then he doesn't have to worry about going to his mouth, the rest of the game.

Pitchers choice here but, most of the time having a little diplomacy works.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

So is the college rule the same as all the others?

JC, your reply is almost word for word what I said.

This is my nephew, my brother called and told me what happened, and if the college rule was the same as mlb.

He explained that the umpire went to the manager, told him he couldnt go to his mouth. The manager told my nephew not to do it anymore.

I have several problems with this, you have a manager that doesnt know (which isnt very surprising) but you also have a college level umpire that doesnt know either.

I told him to ask the umpire what he was doing wrong (politely), if he didnt like his answer, leave it alone, speak to the manager after the game and convince him to address the matter with the assignor.

Otherwise not much else to do.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

JC, your reply is almost word for word what I said.

This is my nephew, my brother called and told me what happened, and if the college rule was the same as mlb.

He explained that the umpire went to the manager, told him he couldnt go to his mouth. The manager told my nephew not to do it anymore.

I have several problems with this, you have a manager that doesnt know (which isnt very surprising) but you also have a college level umpire that doesnt know either.

I told him to ask the umpire what he was doing wrong (politely), if he didnt like his answer, leave it alone, speak to the manager after the game and convince him to address the matter with the assignor.

Otherwise not much else to do.
Why assume the manager didn't know?

What he did know was that the umpire was calling it so he told his pitcher "don't do that".
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Same rule all codes. I think OBR mentions fingers and not hand though.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Why assume the manager didn't know?

What he did know was that the umpire was calling it so he told his pitcher "don't do that".
If I were a manager and knew something was blatantly wrong, I would at least question it.

If I were a manger and didnt know, I wouldnt question it.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I were a manager and knew something was blatantly wrong, I would at least question it.
That's why he is the manager, he knows when to pick his battles (sometimes)

-Josh
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

You said he was behind the rubber. Was he behind the rubber but still on the mound? Pbuc manual makes reference to not allowing pitchers go to the mouth 'within the dirt circle' or something like that. May have some play in this sitch.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
You said he was behind the rubber. Was he behind the rubber but still on the mound? Pbuc manual makes reference to not allowing pitchers go to the mouth 'within the dirt circle' or something like that. May have some play in this sitch.
That rule got changed last year.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If I were a manger and didnt know, I wouldnt question it.
The umpire already made it clear he was calling it. It won't get fixed mid game. Time to shut up.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
As Rich said, changed in 2010, I have not seen a 2011 OBR book and I heard there may be some clarification this year. The new 2011 PBUC manual has the same wording as the 2010 OBR book. The only thing he can't do is 1. go to mouth while on rubber and 2. go to ball directly after going to mouth anywhere.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
As Rich said, changed in 2010, I have not seen a 2011 OBR book and I heard there may be some clarification this year. The new 2011 PBUC manual has the same wording as the 2010 OBR book. The only thing he can't do is 1. go to mouth while on rubber and 2. go to ball directly after going to mouth anywhere.
I got the 2011 rule changes at PBUC this year... the new pitching rule is he can't be engaged with the rubber when he goes to his mouth. Pretty much the same as college.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
I got the 2011 rule changes at PBUC this year... the new pitching rule is he can't be engaged with the rubber when he goes to his mouth. Pretty much the same as college.
Congratulations. Did you get a contract?
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Congratulations. Did you get a contract?
Not yet... still waiting...