The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Base Award Question

Saw an odd play yesterday: In an NCAA D1 game with runners at 1B and 3B, the offense tried the double steal. As the catcher threw down to 2B, the runner at 3B broke for home. The second baseman caught the ball as the runner from 1B pulled up short of 2B. Then, the second baseman tried to fire home and threw it directly into the pitcher's back. The ball bounced all the way into the dugout.

Of course, the lead runner was awarded home. Initially, the other runner was awarded 3B, but after a conference between the umps, he was awarded home. The defensive coach came out for an explanation, but after a brief discussion, he was fine with it and went back to the dugout.

I know that I must be missing something (especially considering the defensive coach was fine with it), but does anyone know why he may have been awarded home?
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
I know that I must be missing something (especially considering the defensive coach was fine with it), but does anyone know why he may have been awarded home?
Two bases TOT, so either R1 made it to second before the throw was released, or the umpires kicked it.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 12:15pm
In Time Out

Fan10, TOT = Time Of Throw. My bet is the umpires explained to the coach that R1 made 2B before the ball found the dugout.

Blue blew it.

Last edited by Simply The Best; Sun Apr 03, 2011 at 12:17pm.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

If R1 "pulled up short" then likely he had not reached at TOT.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

I was thinking that just possibly the umps went by the time the throw hit F1, as if he "threw" the ball when it bounced off him. But it's more likely that the runner had advanced well past 2B when the ball entered DBT, and the umps were simply fooled into making the wrong call. I've seen that particular flub several times (but not at the college level).

About 10 years ago, I was PU when R2 was off with the pitch, which got away from F2 toward the bench. R2 rounded 3B and appeared to be going to score when the ball entered DBT. The coach was outraged when I sent the runner back to 3B, and I could hear him explaining to sympathetic "fans" behind the bench how according to "the rule," the runner should have been awarded home. Something about the runner's being "more than halfway when the ball went out."
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
The coach was outraged when I sent the runner back to 3B, and I could hear him explaining to sympathetic "fans" behind the bench how according to "the rule," the runner should have been awarded home. Something about the runner's being "more than halfway when the ball went out."
Can't make this stuff up... I wish I was surprised but I know that none of us are...