The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 02:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
The rule book, actually.

10-1-4a "As an aid in deciding, the umpire may note whether the swing carried the barrel of the bat past the body of the batter, but [the] final decision is based on whether the batter actually struck at the ball."

For Fed, C is definitely the right answer.
Exactly my point, C is the correct answer so where did they get D may be used as "an aid" is not the same thing as "Base his decision as to whether the swing carried the barrel of the bat past the body of the batter."
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Welpe,

Give that man a cigar!

That was, in fact, the "test correct" answer.

On the field, of course, one would go with "C".

JM
John,
I had this question brought up at one of my clinics and again by ODJ. The correct answer is D. It is clearly stated as such in the 2011 Preseason Guide sent along with the Rule and Case books.

On page 5 of that supplement:

Quote:
The umpire's decision on a checked swing should be based entirely on his judgement as to whether or not the batter struck at the pitch.

Here are two helpful guidelines that may be helpful in determining if the batter swung: the barrel of the bat breaks the plane of the batter's front hip or the barrel of the bat breaks the plane of the front edge of the plate provided the batter is positioned in the center of the batter's box.
On the field, you would use both criteria. For less experienced umpires this will be easier to entertain. Some of us grew up with the 'front edge/broke his wrists' rules of thumb.

The NFHS wants us to read everything and they took that question straight from there. Illinois uses questions from the Michigan test currently but next year we will utilize a unique one.

The NCAA does the same thing. A number of questions came directly from the NCAA 2011 Baseball supplement.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Mike

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Wed Mar 23, 2011 at 02:19pm.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Exactly my point, C is the correct answer so where did they get D may be used as "an aid" is not the same thing as "Base his decision as to whether the swing carried the barrel of the bat past the body of the batter."
Sorry, fixed my post but not fast enough. D is definitely correct as, by rule, you are to consider A.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 02:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

Mike, the funny thing is that the first sentence you quote from the supplement seems to match answer C perfectly.

Incidently, I had heard the "bat crosses over the plate" as criteria by the casual fan or coach but once I started umpiring, I was trained to NOT use those things as criteria but to simply judge, did the batter offer or did he not?

Admittedly, I did not realize the Fed had weakly codified the myth.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 02:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Sorry, fixed my post but not fast enough. D is definitely correct as, by rule, you are to consider A.
I admit to being a little confused, I should have assumed you meant D but it fit my point better the other way.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Eastshire,

Would you consider "A" determinate on whether the batter "offered" on a bunt?

JM
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Eastshire,

Would you consider "A" determinate on whether the batter "offered" on a bunt?

JM
Don't roll your eyes at me; I didn't write the rule. I agree that it's not a good way to look at it; but when you take a Fed rules test, you answer according to Fed rules.

Do I in practice care about the end of the barrel? No. That doesn't change how I answer the test question though.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Pull out the supplement and read what they write about a bunt attempt.

Quote:
Attempted bunts are treated differently. Merely holding the bat in the strike zone does not necessarily constitute a strike. The umpire must be convinced the batter was trying to touch the ball. A batter may actually attempt a bunt by letting the pitched ball strike the static bat, or he may actually attempt to touch the ball while retracting the bat (thus deadening the bunt.)
It is important to note that they say touch and not strike at the pitch when considering a bunt.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 04:43pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Basketball Exam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I think they should just try to see if you know the rules, not spend the whole time seeing if they can trick you by word play.
Should? Could? Would? Shall? Might? May?

Blech!
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 04:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Should? Could? Would? Shall? Might? May?

Blech!
My attitude is this: I don't care as long as I can score above the minimum required to stay at my current umpiring level. I have to send in 7 NFHS exams yearly and I just got Part II in the mail today, so I have yet another exam to complete and send in.

My curiosity was satisfied when the two questions Bob mentioned were posted. And as usual, I agree with Bob.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule book, actually.

10-1-4a "As an aid in deciding, the umpire may note whether the swing carried the barrel of the bat past the body of the batter, but [the] final decision is based on whether the batter actually struck at the ball."
The important parts of 10-1-4a are in bold.

No change in rule or practice.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 05:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
The important parts of 10-1-4a are in bold.

No change in rule or practice.
And clearly C is the correct answer regardless of the spin the IHSA wishes to put on it. The bat coming in front of the plate is a "may" and therefore A is too strongly worded. Not that I care. Even if I had this question and the NFHS marked it wrong, it just drops me from a 100 to a 99 and life goes on.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 05:56pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
In my opinion, I really like this test. It forces you to look up the rules, especially on the multiple choice ones. I saw several officials think they could just take the test and do well, and that's simply not the case...the test is supposed to get you to open the book which is probably a good thing. If you looked up each question in the book, the test wasn't that hard. Time consuming...yes. Worth the time, every second.
Yes, their is shallow genius behind the ingrained madness.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
And clearly C is the correct answer regardless of the spin the IHSA wishes to put on it.
According to the 2011 NHFS Baseball supplement that is not the case. The IHSA does not publish that material, they just distribute it for us to read and learn. No spin required.

Enjoy your season.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Ultimately, it was the 10.1.3 case play language that persuaded me that "D" was the answer they were looking for on the test.

JM