The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 03:33pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Just finishing up my test and I am a little unsure on a few questions. Was wondering if anyone can help me out? Thank you in advance for your help.

E. About Batting Out of Order:

19. If several players bat of order undiscovered and a playerÂ’s time at bat occurs while he is a runner, that player will remain on base and will not be declared out as a batter.

G. About a Coach in the CoachÂ’s Box:

26. The coach may have in his possession in the coachÂ’s box a full size laptop, as long as the screen is not distracting to the pitcher.

H. With a Runner on Base, it is a Balk When:

32. The pitcher in the set position, attempting to pick-off a runner at first base, keeps his non-pivot foot stationary but steps back with his pivot foot to gain leverage.

I. A Strike is Charged to the Batter When:

33. The batter, on a pitch out of the strike zone that he successfully checks his swing on, is hit by the pitch on his wrist and the ball comes to rest in foul territory behind the plate.

35. With the bases empty, the batter swings and misses an illegal pitch by the pitcher.

U. A Pitcher in the Set Position:

82. Must come to a complete stop before attempting a pick-off at first base.

84. With no runner at second base and no other runner attempting to steal second base, must pitch to the batter when his entire non-pivot foot passes behind the perpendicular plane of the back edge of the pitcherÂ’s plate.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

E. About Batting Out of Order:

19. If several players bat of order undiscovered and a playerÂ’s time at bat occurs while he is a runner, that player will remain on base and will not be declared out as a batter.
_____
True See 7-1-2e Note
_____
G. About a Coach in the CoachÂ’s Box:

26. The coach may have in his possession in the coachÂ’s box a full size laptop, as long as the screen is not distracting to the pitcher.
_____
False See 3-3-1i
_____

H. With a Runner on Base, it is a Balk When:

32. The pitcher in the set position, attempting to pick-off a runner at first base, keeps his non-pivot foot stationary but steps back with his pivot foot to gain leverage.
_____
This is a great one. FED seems to have at least one like this each year. Read the question exactly as it is written with no bias to what you think it says. It does NOT say steps off the rubber does it?

Now picture when this will most likely happen. LH pitcher in set staring at R1. He steps BACK with his pivot foot to gain leverage. Leverage for what? Leverage to throw. If he is in set facing R1 where does his left foot go when he steps back? Right, towards the third base line.

Thus:

True 6-1-3/ 6-2-4b
_____
I. A Strike is Charged to the Batter When:

33. The batter, on a pitch out of the strike zone that he successfully checks his swing on, is hit by the pitch on his wrist and the ball comes to rest in foul territory behind the plate.
_____
False 7-2-1b
_____

35. With the bases empty, the batter swings and misses an illegal pitch by the pitcher.
_____
False 7-2-2
_____
U. A Pitcher in the Set Position:

82. Must come to a complete stop before attempting a pick-off at first base.
_____

Oh come on now...some of these are basic. Did you read the rule book?
False 6-1-3
_____

84. With no runner at second base and no other runner attempting to steal second base, must pitch to the batter when his entire non-pivot foot passes behind the perpendicular plane of the back edge of the pitcherÂ’s plate.
_____
True 6-2-4f
_____
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Today, I had a pitcher assume the set position. He stretched his arm above his head and then stepped off with his pivot foot before coming to a pause. This would be a balk wouldn't it?

Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

32 would be false if the left handed pitcher had his pivot foot entirely on the grounds at the time he threw the ball. But if we assume that his pivot foot was still in the air, he would still be considered a pitcher and thus he would have to step towards the bag
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Today, I had a pitcher assume the set position. He stretched his arm above his head and then stepped off with his pivot foot before coming to a pause. This would be a balk wouldn't it?

The pitcher can step off during the stretch.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Gre144

That is NOT what the question is based on.

FED is consistent:

Question #32 on Test 1 is bad, Question #32 on Test 2 has been thrown out.

Greymule is correct . . . a pitcher can step off any time during the movement that we call a stretch, from your post I cannot for the life me figger out why you want a balk on this.

(The Original and Ever Slimming)

Tee
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Gre144 I'm confused.

The pitcher stepped off towards third base with his pivot foot and did not stpe towards the base with his non-pivot foot. He did not properly disengage from the rubber by stepping "back off the rubber."

What does him throwing with his foot dangling in the air have to do with it.

(Besides, he'd fall on his arse.)
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

"Greymule is correct . . . a pitcher can step off any time during the movement that we call a stretch, from your post I cannot for the life me figger out why you want a balk on this."

Fed 6.1.3 clearly states the following"

He shall go to the set position without interuption and in one continuous motion"

In my game, the pitcher stretched his arm above his head and then stepped off with his pivot foot before coming to a pause. According to to Fed 6.1.3 he must come to a pause in one continuous motion without interuption. If he steps off the rubber before he pauses, it seems to me that this tactic could be defined as a non-continous, interupted act.

Maybe I am not understanding what 6.1.3 means when it says ,"He shall go to the set position without interuption and in one continuous motion".

Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Gre144

You are correct:

You do not understand the rule.

A pitcher, even it FEDlandia, can step off at any time during the process.

The uninterrupted section is relating to the actual movements of the "stretch". Think of Luis Tiant . . . that was an interrupted movement.

This mainly written to make illegal the "double stop" movement. Two separate movements during the process equal a balk, stepping off does not.

Tee
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
"Fed 6.1.3 clearly states the following"

He shall go to the set position without interuption and in one continuous motion"

Keep reading in 6-1-3 "During these preliminary motions ... the pitcher ... may lift his pivot foot in a step backward off the pitcher's plate."

Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Remember also that at any time during the stretch motion, the pitcher can step and throw to 1B without stepping off the rubber. If he's permitted to throw to 1B during the stretch, he's most certainly permitted to step off the rubber.