In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
Video won't load.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
HTBT, but I'd say it was likely MC (lowering and leading with the shoulder).
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 12:10pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest ump View Post
I got nothing.

Last edited by Simply The Best; Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 05:02pm.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
HTBT, but I'd say it was likely MC (lowering and leading with the shoulder).
I agree. Definitely violates the NCAA collision rule, HTBT for the MC.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 07:01pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Excellent example of contact above the waist with the intent to dislodge the baseball.

Time, Out, Ejected.

No brainer.

Thanks for the clip...I'm looking for examples of these for our assn' meeting.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What type game?
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Excellent example of contact above the waist with the intent to dislodge the baseball.

Time, Out, Ejected.
Your conclusion does not logically (accordign to the rules) follow the description of the play. The penalty for contact above the waist with the intent to dislodge the baseball is an out, not an ejection.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Bob, I truly hate this rule. In the video, the plate umpire waits for the runner to touch the plate and then points to it. Most of us would agree that he is indicating that the score counts, right? (I preach this mechanic at my clinics - don't point for a touch, an observent coach will notice when you don't and tell his players to complete a tag.)

I can see this ruling being changed again next year. If a guy lowers his shoulder, as this runner did, he is attempting to dislodge the ball not protect himself or reach the base. That qualifies as malicious intent in my books. MC can occur below the waist too though usually on a kick type slide or a punch.

Your note is dead on as far as current NCAA mechanics and I await Tom's videos for our bulletins. They usually make enough of us talk so that we can fine tune the things that make our job easier. I see them amending this next year.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
If a guy lowers his shoulder, as this runner did, he is attempting to dislodge the ball not protect himself or reach the base. That qualifies as malicious intent in my books.
Malicious contact is "intent to injure." That's a standard above (or "more egregious") than just "attempt to dislodge the ball."
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Malicious contact is "intent to injure." That's a standard above (or "more egregious") than just "attempt to dislodge the ball."
Thanks Bob. I understand the dictionary definition but the application of the rule is far more difficult. If a runner forcibly dislodges the ball it is difficult to believe that he simply wanted to induce a muscular relaxation response from the guy trying to tag him out. Lowering a shoulder in a posture to attack is malicious in my book. I'm not terribly concerned with keeping someone like that in the game. Retaliation often follows and that is a bigger mess to clean up. I have never had a coach complain that I ejected his player for lowering a shoulder when going into a fielder with the ball. Often, they apologize or simply shake their head in disbelief at their player.

I still find it funny that in a world where we define what kind of product can be used to mark the field, we don't have an NFHS or NCAA definition for malicious contact. Thanks again for helping to clarify the play.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 12:22pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Bob, I truly hate this rule. In the video, the plate umpire waits for the runner to touch the plate and then points to it. Most of us would agree that he is indicating that the score counts, right?
Most of us? Dunno? Me? Dunno since I see PUs point to show touch, to show safe, to show both.
Quote:
(I preach this mechanic at my clinics - don't point for a touch, an observent coach will notice when you don't and tell his players to complete a tag.)
I teach no pointing.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
Most of us? Dunno? Me? Dunno since I see PUs point to show touch, to show safe, to show both.
I asked a very specific question that didn't involve what you see away from the video. But I hope you correct partners who point to indicate legally obtained bases. It will prevent more trouble for them in the future.

The runner in this video play is a catcher named Mitch Canham. He knew what he was doing when he lowered his shoulder and aimed for the other catcher's head. You can see how the umpire pointed the touch as a score. He points as soon as Canham touches the plate after the collision and run by. This is Minor League baseball so the contact is not illegal. Had this happened the year before when he was at Oregon State he would have likely been dumped.

Have a good season.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 05:01pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I asked a very specific question that didn't involve what you see away from the video. But I hope you correct partners who point to indicate legally obtained bases. It will prevent more trouble for them in the future.
Don't correct them, I dump them. It's not allowed.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Mike....Rule 1. Don't feed the trolls.