The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Mc (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/63958-mc.html)

Forest Ump Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:24am

Mc

MC ?

YouTube - Catcher Vs. Catcher - Collision at the Plate

Simply The Best Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 736234)

Video won't load. :mad:

bob jenkins Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:07pm

Quote:

HTBT, but I'd say it was likely MC (lowering and leading with the shoulder).

Simply The Best Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by forest ump (Post 736234)

I got nothing.

dash_riprock Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 736242)
HTBT, but I'd say it was likely MC (lowering and leading with the shoulder).

I agree. Definitely violates the NCAA collision rule, HTBT for the MC.

johnnyg08 Thu Mar 03, 2011 07:01pm

Excellent example of contact above the waist with the intent to dislodge the baseball.

Time, Out, Ejected.

No brainer.

Thanks for the clip...I'm looking for examples of these for our assn' meeting.

DG Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:04pm

Quote:

What type game?

bob jenkins Fri Mar 04, 2011 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 736377)
Excellent example of contact above the waist with the intent to dislodge the baseball.

Time, Out, Ejected.

Your conclusion does not logically (accordign to the rules) follow the description of the play. The penalty for contact above the waist with the intent to dislodge the baseball is an out, not an ejection.

MikeStrybel Fri Mar 04, 2011 09:00am

Bob, I truly hate this rule. In the video, the plate umpire waits for the runner to touch the plate and then points to it. Most of us would agree that he is indicating that the score counts, right? (I preach this mechanic at my clinics - don't point for a touch, an observent coach will notice when you don't and tell his players to complete a tag.)

I can see this ruling being changed again next year. If a guy lowers his shoulder, as this runner did, he is attempting to dislodge the ball not protect himself or reach the base. That qualifies as malicious intent in my books. MC can occur below the waist too though usually on a kick type slide or a punch.

Your note is dead on as far as current NCAA mechanics and I await Tom's videos for our bulletins. They usually make enough of us talk so that we can fine tune the things that make our job easier. I see them amending this next year.

bob jenkins Fri Mar 04, 2011 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 736518)
If a guy lowers his shoulder, as this runner did, he is attempting to dislodge the ball not protect himself or reach the base. That qualifies as malicious intent in my books.

Malicious contact is "intent to injure." That's a standard above (or "more egregious") than just "attempt to dislodge the ball."

MikeStrybel Fri Mar 04, 2011 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 736527)
Malicious contact is "intent to injure." That's a standard above (or "more egregious") than just "attempt to dislodge the ball."

Thanks Bob. I understand the dictionary definition but the application of the rule is far more difficult. If a runner forcibly dislodges the ball it is difficult to believe that he simply wanted to induce a muscular relaxation response from the guy trying to tag him out. Lowering a shoulder in a posture to attack is malicious in my book. I'm not terribly concerned with keeping someone like that in the game. Retaliation often follows and that is a bigger mess to clean up. I have never had a coach complain that I ejected his player for lowering a shoulder when going into a fielder with the ball. Often, they apologize or simply shake their head in disbelief at their player.

I still find it funny that in a world where we define what kind of product can be used to mark the field, we don't have an NFHS or NCAA definition for malicious contact. Thanks again for helping to clarify the play.

Simply The Best Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 736518)
Bob, I truly hate this rule. In the video, the plate umpire waits for the runner to touch the plate and then points to it. Most of us would agree that he is indicating that the score counts, right?

Most of us? Dunno? Me? Dunno since I see PUs point to show touch, to show safe, to show both.
Quote:

(I preach this mechanic at my clinics - don't point for a touch, an observent coach will notice when you don't and tell his players to complete a tag.)
I teach no pointing.

MikeStrybel Fri Mar 04, 2011 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply The Best (Post 736571)
Most of us? Dunno? Me? Dunno since I see PUs point to show touch, to show safe, to show both.

I asked a very specific question that didn't involve what you see away from the video. But I hope you correct partners who point to indicate legally obtained bases. It will prevent more trouble for them in the future.

The runner in this video play is a catcher named Mitch Canham. He knew what he was doing when he lowered his shoulder and aimed for the other catcher's head. You can see how the umpire pointed the touch as a score. He points as soon as Canham touches the plate after the collision and run by. This is Minor League baseball so the contact is not illegal. Had this happened the year before when he was at Oregon State he would have likely been dumped.

Have a good season.

Simply The Best Fri Mar 04, 2011 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 736624)
I asked a very specific question that didn't involve what you see away from the video. But I hope you correct partners who point to indicate legally obtained bases. It will prevent more trouble for them in the future.

Don't correct them, I dump them. It's not allowed.

Forest Ump Fri Mar 04, 2011 05:16pm

Mike....Rule 1. Don't feed the trolls.