Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 07:48pm
In Time Out

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
Rule 1. Don't feed the trolls.
I wasn't aware that you are the King of The Forum, announcing who is evil and who is not. Very Christlike.

Grow up. It's an officiating forum, got something to post outside of your pants problem, post it. Otherwise keep your opinions to your self-ordained wonderfulness.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 07:48pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
What type game?
MiBL
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
This is Minor League baseball so the contact is not illegal. Had this happened the year before when he was at Oregon State he would have likely been dumped.
I don't think so, from what I saw.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I don't think so, from what I saw.
DG,
I may be wrong, if so my apologies, but didn't the NCAA change the contact rule this year? The one prior resulted in so many ejections that the NCAA made a point of emphasis that we need to scrutinize contact above the waist more carefully. A couple years ago, when Canham would have been at OSU, this type of collision would have resulted in him being ejected, right? In NCAA ball malicious contact is stressed. Lowering your shoulder into another catcher's head and extending your arm in that effort is a decent attempt to injure. It was hardnosed, but the gloves come off in pro ball. Pete Rose would have loved this play.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
DG,
I may be wrong, if so my apologies, but didn't the NCAA change the contact rule this year? The one prior resulted in so many ejections that the NCAA made a point of emphasis that we need to scrutinize contact above the waist more carefully. A couple years ago, when Canham would have been at OSU, this type of collision would have resulted in him being ejected, right? In NCAA ball malicious contact is stressed. Lowering your shoulder into another catcher's head and extending your arm in that effort is a decent attempt to injure. It was hardnosed, but the gloves come off in pro ball. Pete Rose would have loved this play.
This year, the NCAA clarified its collision rule but not with respect to MC. It defined an unavoidable (i.e., legal) collision as one which occurred when the runner: a) was making legitimate effort to reach the plate, b) was not attempting to dislodge the ball, and c) attempted to avoid the collision if he could reach the base without colliding. Contact above the waist initiated by the runner was deemed to be an attempt to dislodge the ball (but not necessarily MC). MC is left up to the umpire to determine.