View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

There is not a 45 degree rule that I'm aware of. It is a guideline only. With two umpires you'd never see the 45 anyway...you need at least 3 umpires to see that and it's only a guideline, not a rule. LH pitchers have enough of an advantage, they need to make sure they're stepping to 1B when throwing over. Also, I have to brush up on my FED rules, but in OBR rules, coach can't argue a step balk. Ask Joe West! (grin)

The rule states that if he's going to throw to first he has to step more to first than to home.

Typically the Plate Umpire (PU) has the best look at this and probably should be the one calling the balk in the two umpire system...certainly that's not to say that if BU sees it, that he can't call it.

If you think it was a balk, obviously you don't call the balk until F1 has thrown to 1B. Then in FED, everything stops once the balk is called.

Sorry, I have to get to bed so I can't post any rules or official mechanics guidelines for you...but I trust others will share their thoughts as well. Don't worry about it. Balks can be tricky...if you called it, it was probably a balk.

Have a good season!