The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 07:51pm
Stop staring at me swan.

The Low Strike

Hi Fellas,

Haven't received any negative feedback yet, but that doesn't mean I'm not missing them...I'm feeling like I might be missing some pitches that are right at the border-bottom of the strike zone, I'm checking my head height, slot position, trying to use my eyes to track the ball, yet I feel like I could possibly be calling more strikes, yet don't want to get in the habit of calling the shins...what landmarks do you guys use to judge that pitch...I've considered using the knee portion of the catcher's shin guards (sometimes), obviously watching the ball as it crosses the plate, etc...but I'm looking for some "tricks of the trade" from those of you who know you do a good job with that pitch.

Thanks guys
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Just off the top of my head

A few thoughts:

1. Visualize the "glass plate zone" in your mind, if any part of the glass is hit, it's a strike.

2. Are you bouncing? Sometimes people will bounce, or stand up a little, especially if their catcher will not stay down on the low pitch. Make sure you are locked in and your body and head are not moving. And if your F2 is bouncing, more than likely he is taking the low pitch from you. Tell him to stay down and let you see it.

3. Make the F2 stick the low pitch; a lot of HS F2's pull the low pitch all over, or try and catch it and pull it up, or catch it back real close to their body to give the image it's a strike. But if they have to do any of that, it isn't. This is the pitch where presentation mechanics are really, really important. The good F2 will stick this pitch and make it look like a strike, and you can call it. The mediocre F2's will butcher it. Being consistent on the low pitch is tough, that is why good umpires punish F2's who drop low strikes with a ball call, and F2's tell their pitch, "Sorry, my fault."

4. Slow your timing down. Always take the time to ask yourself if it is a strike or not. You may be so worried about being consistent with the pitch your are rushing yourself mentally to make a call. Slow down and see the pitch.

IMO, the low pitch is the hardest pitch to become consistent on for newer umpires. That is one reason why a lot of people say it takes 5 years to get a consistent zone. Sometimes it just takes seeing enough low strikes before you can cement the bottom of your zone in.

The other side of the coin is that if you work with good F2's, they will make sure you see the pitch for a strike. They try to sell, and you want to buy. Make them present you a low strike, and you will learn to give it to them.

I am also interested in other responses.

Last edited by jkumpire; Sun May 09, 2010 at 08:45pm. Reason: Lost my Shift Key, found it a moment ago.
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

You have got to see the pitch all the way into the catchers glove. Where he catches it will give you a good perspective on how high or low it was when it crossed the plate. A fastball must be caught just below the batters knees, while a curve ball can be a bit lower. But I have a hard time calling a strike if the pitch is caught more than 4 inches below the knees. That's my method and it works for me.
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Always look at where the catcher catches the pitch to gauge your low strike. Normally when pitchers give a target, the glove is right at the knees. If you see the glove move down, it's probably a ball.
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

The Low Strike

Another indicator of if the pitch was too low how F2 turned his mitt. If F2 had to turn the glove over, the pitch was probably to low to be a strike.

Remember, dugouts see north and south and a lot of coaches use how F2 caught the pitch as whether the pitch was a strike or ball.
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Always look at where the catcher catches the pitch to gauge your low strike. Normally when pitchers give a target, the glove is right at the knees. If you see the glove move down, it's probably a ball.
This technique is of limited usefulness with a breaking pitch.
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Hi Fellas,

Haven't received any negative feedback yet, but that doesn't mean I'm not missing them...I'm feeling like I might be missing some pitches that are right at the border-bottom of the strike zone, I'm checking my head height, slot position, trying to use my eyes to track the ball, yet I feel like I could possibly be calling more strikes, yet don't want to get in the habit of calling the shins...what landmarks do you guys use to judge that pitch...I've considered using the knee portion of the catcher's shin guards (sometimes), obviously watching the ball as it crosses the plate, etc...but I'm looking for some "tricks of the trade" from those of you who know you do a good job with that pitch.

Thanks guys
Haven't received any negative feedback yet, but that doesn't mean I'm not missing them...

Actually it may mean you're doing OK. One team of the other would be would be commenting in some fashion if you were too far off.
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

If you are missing it you will hear things like: "NOOOOO! TOO LOW BLUE!"...or my favorite..."Get your nine-iron guys".

I watch for the ball to pass through the zone. Also, I've learned that the catcher can blow it by dropping, turning, or sweeping his mitt. Generally speaking though...he is doing that because the ball is down. If he wants the low one he's gotta stick it at the knees.
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 10:44am

Something that you might want to try that helps me: By tilting your head up or down a smidge, set the bottom bar of your mask at the batter's knee. That, along with all of the other advice given on this thread, can help give you a reference.
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Focus on every batter, where are his knees. Then watch the pitch. Catcher is irrelevant unless he can stick the pitch and thus help his pitcher. Any downward movement of the mitt, or underhand catch on borderline pitch is expected by all to be a ball.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Focus on every batter, where are his knees. Then watch the pitch. Catcher is irrelevant unless he can stick the pitch and thus help his pitcher. Any downward movement of the mitt, or underhand catch on borderline pitch is expected by all to be a ball.
This technique is of limited usefulness with a breaking pitch.