The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Another NCAA question - Backswing INT

This is from the NCAA test....

R1, one out, 1-1 count. B2 is legally in the batter's box. B2 swings and misses and his normal follow-through unintentionally strikes the catcher while the catcher is in the act of throwing to second base in an unsuccessful attempt to retire R1.

a. The batter is not out, strike two and R1 goes back to first base.

b. The batter is out, and R1 is returned to first base.

c. The batter is out, R1 is allowed to keep second base.

d. The batter is not out, strike two and R1 stays at second base.

"A" is correct, right? This would be backswing INT, so no one is out but the runner returns to first. Isn't this the same as OBR? I could not find it in the NCAA rule book.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

6.2.d.(2)
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
6.2.d.(2)
Okay, good. I actually just scanned the book yesterday and I was in a hurry, so that's why I couldn't find it.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 12:19pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Okay, good. I actually just scanned the book yesterday and I was in a hurry, so that's why I couldn't find it.
If you want to be a successful umpire, don't just "scan the book" looking for answers. Read it thoroughly.
If you want the test answers, read the book, don't ask for the answers here. The purpose of the test is to get us to dig into the book and the manual and the online videos and the REFEREE pamphlet to find the answers. That's how you learn the rules.
Something about "give a man a fish"...

JJ
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post

JJ
Perhaps you're thinking of this:

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer for hours.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
If you want to be a successful umpire, don't just "scan the book" looking for answers. Read it thoroughly.
If you want the test answers, read the book, don't ask for the answers here. The purpose of the test is to get us to dig into the book and the manual and the online videos and the REFEREE pamphlet to find the answers. That's how you learn the rules.

JJ
FYI, I already finished the test online. I have a copy of the questions though and this question was in the pool of questions but not on my test. I thought I was right, but wanted to check. I study the book 4-5 times a week, but didn't have much time to look at it yesterday when I was looking for this particular rule reference.

I don't think you have any idea about my level of success from a message board, but thanks.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 03:06pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Don't get too fired up zm1283...I think the point other posters were making is that many people come on here and don't research, just expect everybody else to do their dirty work for them. Maybe some implied that's what you were doing. Were they wrong...maybe, but that's how it goes on here...which you know based on what you typed in your last post...none of us come on here and talk about ourselves...I can only imagine the people who are on here that have no idea.

In reference to your question (original post) search MLB.com either last year or two years ago Manny got called for backswing interference and there's a great video clip of the play.

Good luck, thanks

Also, check your PM's...thanks!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah, we all read the rule books 4 to 5 hours a day, then we come to the forum because we do not know the answer to a simple question, then we get mad because someone calls us on the post, and we are all greater than we seem on the Internet.

This goes on every single year and it is an absolute joke. If you already answered the test, why not say that up front? "I put answer A on the test. Do you think I was correct?" Now, if someone gives you a rash of $hit about posting, you can tell them to pound sand. But hey, we don't know that you are the greatest thing that ever stepped on a baseball field and you just forgot the answer to a simple, basic question that a plate umpire has to judge on every season! Here's a tip..... go find your rule book that you left in the bathroom the other day and keep studying. Your assigner might just present you with a nice JUCO game to suit your talent - or rather, your mouth!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

I actually like talking the rules test questions and think that discussing them before, during or after the test is submitted is great. It gets us thinking and helps us see what others are thinking. I actually wished that the NCAA released the questions prior to the first meeting so we could do round tables about them at the meetings. Let's face it, we work games with 1, 2, 3, or 5 other guys on the field with us. Collaboration is good. And for the record, I should read the rule book way more.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Oh yeah, we all read the rule books 4 to 5 hours a day, then we come to the forum because we do not know the answer to a simple question, then we get mad because someone calls us on the post, and we are all greater than we seem on the Internet.

This goes on every single year and it is an absolute joke. If you already answered the test, why not say that up front? "I put answer A on the test. Do you think I was correct?" Now, if someone gives you a rash of $hit about posting, you can tell them to pound sand. But hey, we don't know that you are the greatest thing that ever stepped on a baseball field and you just forgot the answer to a simple, basic question that a plate umpire has to judge on every season! Here's a tip..... go find your rule book that you left in the bathroom the other day and keep studying. Your assigner might just present you with a nice JUCO game to suit your talent - or rather, your mouth!
I did tell you that I already took the test. It wasn't on my test though, dickhead. When did I say I was the greatest thing to step on a baseball field? As good as this forum can be, some of the people on it are incredibly arrogant, and you ozzy are certainly in that group. I'm sure you're a gem to work with.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I did tell you that I already took the test. It wasn't on my test though, dickhead. When did I say I was the greatest thing to step on a baseball field? As good as this forum can be, some of the people on it are incredibly arrogant, and you ozzy are certainly in that group. I'm sure you're a gem to work with.
Moving right along!!!
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

" . . . dickhead."

Ah, the class of those that claim to be college umpires.

T
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
" . . . dickhead."

Ah, the class of those that claim to be college umpires.

T
Yes, because I am clearly the instigator in this thread.....