The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Another NCAA question

R2 is attempting to score on a base hit. As R2 approaches home plate, the throw from F9 is up the third base line causing F2 to move up the baseline in order to catch the ball. As the ball is approximately 10 feet from F2 and he is preparing to glove the ball, he collides with R2 and both are knocked to the ground. F1, backing up the play, picks up the ball and tags R2 before he can touch home base.

a. This is obstruction by F2 and R1 is awarded home.

b. This is a legal play and R1 is called out on the tag by F1 and is ejected if the slide is deemed flagrant.

c.This is interference by R1 and he is called out immediately.

d.This is a legal play and R2 is called out on the tag by F1.

N.B. D is the only answer that correctly identifies the baserunner. I don't know if it's 3 typos or a clue.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

See the NCAA pre-season guide, Obstruction article, play 4. That has this as obstruction.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:29pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Can anybody send me a copy of the NCAA test? I don't work NCAA, but I do study the CCA and read the rules each year (well, every-other) per the rewrite, so I'd simply like to try the test. Send me a PM if you can help. I guess I'm not interested in paying $100 to take a test for fun. Thanks!
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
See the NCAA pre-season guide, Obstruction article, play 4. That has this as obstruction.
That's why I posted it. If I didn't look at the supplement, I would have answered D.

From the rule book, 2.54 A.R. 1: If the fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw, he may be considered "in the act" of fielding.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:42pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I just looked at the supplement...it's very good. 16 pages of good, good stuff.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
That's why I posted it. If I didn't look at the supplement, I would have answered D.

From the rule book, 2.54 A.R. 1: If the fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw, he may be considered "in the act" of fielding.
"Occupying one's position" is not moving up the line to catch a ball.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
To me, "occupy his position" means the position he is in to catch the ball. Now if he's running up the line chasing the ball, I have OBS, but if he is standing there waiting on it and is about to field the throw, I've got nothing.

Is it me or are these questions horribly written?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
R2 is attempting to score on a base hit. As R2 approaches home plate, the throw from F9 is up the third base line causing F2 to move up the baseline in order to catch the ball. As the ball is approximately 10 feet from F2 and he is preparing to glove the ball, he collides with R2 and both are knocked to the ground. F1, backing up the play, picks up the ball and tags R2 before he can touch home base.

b. This is a legal play and R1 is called out on the tag by F1 and is ejected if the slide is deemed flagrant.

N.B. D is the only answer that correctly identifies the baserunner. I don't know if it's 3 typos or a clue.
As I said above, I've got a legal play. In the 2011 New Rules Video on the NCAA Central Hub, this play is covered in several video clips starting around the 9-minute mark.

B or D are the only possible correct answers, but are they trying to trick us by using R1 instead of R2, or is it just a typo? R2 could possibly be ejected for a collision above the waist, so B could be correct. D could also be correct if you just leave out the part about the collision. Color me confused.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That play sounds exactly like the play at the 8:47 mark in the video I'm talking about. There is a single to left field, F2 goes up the third base line to take the throw and there is contact as he is fielding the throw. This seems like a contradiction to me.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Obviously, that's the NCAA's take on it. I guess since "F2 collided with R2," he (F2) was moving when the contact occurred, in which case I understand the OBS ruling. But the ruling on a similar play in the supplement says "by moving up the line a few feet, F2 lost his protection [from OBS]." What caused him to lose his protection? Was it because he had to leave his position (even if he was stopped and where he needed to be to field the throw) or because he was moving when the collision occurred? Clear as mud.

I welcome difficult questions, but not when I have to guess at the facts instant to the situation.

The correct answer should be E - HTBT, although I'm answering A when I submit the test.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

On page 8 of the NCAA supplement, play 3: the catcher is contacted just before receiving the ball and they call it baseball. The very next question is eerily similar to play 4 just below it. In this one the fielder is taken up the line a few feet to catch the ball and the contact is made. They call it obstruction. I would ignore the test typo and rule it the same way - a.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 06:36pm
Veteran College Umpire

The reason for it being considered obstruction on the catcher isn't because of the collision, it's that once the ball got away from the catcher he could no longer block the runner's path to the plate.

JJ
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
The reason for it being considered obstruction on the catcher isn't because of the collision, it's that once the ball got away from the catcher he could no longer block the runner's path to the plate.

JJ
I don't see that the play in the NCAA guide indicates any blocking after the ball got away.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

This would be a good quesiton for Mazza to ask his instructors at Harry's.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 09:18pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
I don't see that the play in the NCAA guide indicates any blocking after the ball got away.
I actually answered "d" on my test (won't know till the 13th if I got it right or not), but the question implies that the runner might have been blocked after the collision....."F1, backing up the play, picks up the ball and tags R2 before he can touch home base." That tells me he was still trying to get to the plate and the catcher didn't have the ball anymore. FWIW.

JJ