The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
New Face Mask for upcoming year

I am looking to get a new face mask for the upcoming year. Right now I have an old GD starter kit face mask. It is still good however as you probably know gets a bit heavy during the later part of the game and definitely for DH's. I am looking for a lighter weight mask. Any ideas, suggestions or reviews of masks out there? I have heard reports that the Honigs feather weight masks are ok but the bars are not as good and stable as the GD one.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Get a Diamond and change the pads.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Honig's has some new gear that looks pretty interesting. They sell a new frame, with flat tubes, much like the silver Diamond. It comes in three colors too. And they sell a new pad set, Team Wendy, that looks pretty cool. Together, they look like the might make a pretty stout rig. Around a hundy, when you throw in a harness and shipping.

I've got a silver Diamond, and a magnesium Champro, both with standard WV pads. Nice set ups. The new All Star, with the curved frame is really cool looking, too. Most suppliers offer the same lightweight frame, coming from the same Chinese factory. Most come with junk, wimpy pads. Honig's sells just their frame for $40, so that's a bonus.

Toss in a sun shield and a throat protector, and you're looking at $100 for a solid rig.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Honig's has some new gear that looks pretty interesting. They sell a new frame, with flat tubes, much like the silver Diamond. It comes in three colors too. And they sell a new pad set, Team Wendy, that looks pretty cool.
And the Team Wendys pads are made in the USA!
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 01:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

There is no mask out there better than the standard profile Wilson Titanium.

Sun shield? Is that to keep the sun off your hat?
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

That's pretty bold. They're okay, but don't fit my face all that well with the pads I tried. I like my Champro better, once I dulled the shiney bars a bit. To each his own. Everybody's face is different, so I'd say there is no "best".

Quote:

That's exactly what it does, and it keeps the bill of my hat, and everything underneath it, a lot cooler. In my masks, it really works.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree, the Standard profile Wilson Titanium with the wrap around is the best mask out there. The view is great and is very light
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Rich, I agree the standard profile Wilson Titanium is the best mask out there but before every rookie that reads this runs out and buys one I think it is fair to point out, as another poster said, every face is different. I went through three sets of pads to just be able to wear the mask. The mask frame is great, the pads need work and the frame doesn't leave much room inside.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I purchased a Wilson chrome moliben nu view style mask last year as I passed down my old basic Spalding mask to my son who was umpiring. Quite frankly I didn't care for it much as I felt like I didn't have enough room inside and the pads were a bit restrictive. Seemed like it was constantly shoving the brim of my hat down on my forehead. It is a little lighter than my old Spalding but not nearly as comfortable. Since my kid bought himself a Wilson Shock FX, I will probably get some new pads for the Spalding and go back to it this year. I didn't really notice better vision out of the Wilson. As others have said, everyone's head is different so you just have to find what works for you.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 11:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
I purchased a Wilson chrome moliben nu view style mask last year as I passed down my old basic Spalding mask to my son who was umpiring. Quite frankly I didn't care for it much as I felt like I didn't have enough room inside and the pads were a bit restrictive. Seemed like it was constantly shoving the brim of my hat down on my forehead. It is a little lighter than my old Spalding but not nearly as comfortable. Since my kid bought himself a Wilson Shock FX, I will probably get some new pads for the Spalding and go back to it this year. I didn't really notice better vision out of the Wilson. As others have said, everyone's head is different so you just have to find what works for you.
That's why I said standard profile. The new view masks were horrible. I bought one and sold it less than a year later during an umpiring trip to Europe.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True. But my opinion is based only on the 12 masks I have worn in the last 30years.

Quote:

At best.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK47 View Post
I am looking to get a new face mask for the upcoming year. Right now I have an old GD starter kit face mask. It is still good however as you probably know gets a bit heavy during the later part of the game and definitely for DH's. I am looking for a lighter weight mask. Any ideas, suggestions or reviews of masks out there? I have heard reports that the Honigs feather weight masks are ok but the bars are not as good and stable as the GD one.
Honig's has masks on their website with the new Wendys pads - might be a really good deal. Im thinking of picking up a pair of the Wendys pads in the very near future.