The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question Soliciting advice about returning

Good day, all,

I've been mostly lurking here for years, taking in the voices of experience, and think that you guys could help me determine how to handle this off-field situation:

I've umpired one season in SW Ohio, called football for two years in Central NY, and now I live in Nevada, where I was able to call one basketball scrimmage in 2009 before I had to bug out for a while. A combination of deployments and military moves has kept me from being able to fully participate in officiating, but my former partners and assignors have encouraged me to keep at it.
I was looking like I would be able to do this upcoming softball and baseball season, and I was just notified that I would have to attend a class starting in February in Alabama that will keep me there for the end of the classes and a couple weeks into the start of the season.
From the perspective of the assignors, instructors, and committee members, what recommendations can you give on how best to proceed? I really don't want to sit out ANOTHER season (this will be the 5th baseball season I've missed), especially when there are resources in both areas. Is there a mechanism in place to allow someone to split their class attendance, maybe even transferring test information to the home state, if required?

I appreciate any advice you folks could offer.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Contact your state office if this is for H.S. Explain your military conflicts. Hopefully they will give you a one year waiver. If its College, contact your local assigners and explain it to them.

Also, Thank You for your service!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Minnesota has waived its requirements when I've had a conflict of this nature, so hopefully other states will, too.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

If you are talking about HS umpiring (early March) then talk to HS assignor, explain your situation. He should be willing to work with you on early season closeouts. Since your experience is fairly limited, you will likely work JV ball for a time anyway, so early season miss is not a big deal.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

My one year that I worked in Ohio was mostly solo 7th/8th grade and some 9th grade games with a partner, and several weeks of community youth league that I enjoyed, as well. I'd expect that here I would have a similar assignment profile.
I'll discuss the case with the guys in charge shortly. Thanks, again!