The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Is this a practice any self-respecting official would ever do? There's a tournament this weekend in a neighboring town that I would like to be involved in. A USTOC Tournament which I presume will probably draw teams from at least a three-state area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama). After doing my first playoff games this season I'm trying to find ways to challenge myself during the summer. I intend to go to a camp or two, but I thought this tournament might offer solid competition to officiate as well. I have a contact person for the tourney, but I 'm not sure who is assigning games at the tournament. What should I do?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

I See Nothing Wrong with a Simple Inquiry

I have done this many times in the past, and the assigners were happy to hear from me in most of them. Go for it.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

It's frowned upon in our association. If the assignor or the wrong people caught wind of it, chances are that the solicitor would be blackballed.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

No problem with out-of-season stuff around here. Our assignor and board encourage our officials to ref in leagues and tournaments during the off-season.

Z
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 09:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Around here, you can get into real trouble for soliticing dames.

What??? You said games???

Never mind.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Around here, you can get into real trouble for soliticing dames.

What??? You said games???

Never mind.
So says Mark "Emily Litella" Padgett
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by braboa
Is this a practice any self-respecting official would ever do? There's a tournament this weekend in a neighboring town that I would like to be involved in. A USTOC Tournament which I presume will probably draw teams from at least a three-state area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama). After doing my first playoff games this season I'm trying to find ways to challenge myself during the summer. I intend to go to a camp or two, but I thought this tournament might offer solid competition to officiate as well. I have a contact person for the tourney, but I 'm not sure who is assigning games at the tournament. What should I do?
Give your contact a call & ask who's assigning. Then give the assignor a call, tell him/her/it you're available. If your contact is not assigning do not just leave your name, get the real assignor's number & call.

Really, give them a call.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
It's frowned upon in our association. If the assignor or the wrong people caught wind of it, chances are that the solicitor would be blackballed.
I don't understand. We are not talking about HS post season and an official soliciting votes from coaches. Why would anyone be troubled by off season ball?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
I don't understand. We are not talking about HS post season and an official soliciting votes from coaches. Why would anyone be troubled by off season ball?
I think it's the soliciting that's he's concerned about. I expect it depends on the area. Around here, summer assignors are delighted to hear from anyone that's available, but I suppose it could be looked on as inappropriate, from a different point of view. I think if you take the approach that you "are available" it will get your name into view without sounding too craven.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 11:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation You should be able to ask.

Absolutely nothing wrong with talking to people that assign games and telling them you are availible. Usually assignors where I am from ask officials for other officials names to fill games. If you give someone a call to see if they are assigning the game, all they can say is no. Telling someone you are availible is different than saying, "can I have a game?"

Peace
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I guess I didn't read the whole post. Summer stuff is okay. However, soliciting games for the high school season is a big no-no in politics land here.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 10:39am
Do not give a damn!!

What is the definition?

It sounds like we have different views on what is a "solicitation."

What do people here consider "soliciting" games?

Is calling an assignor a solicitation?

Is finding out how you can work in a conference a solicitation?

Or is asking for the Proviso West/Proviso East (or any rivalry that might fit) game a solicitation?

Is calling an AD and asking "what does it take to work at your school," a solitication?

It seems like to me we have different definitions at play.

Peare
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I agree JR. I guess here in Wichita KS, The only thing not acceptable here is asking coaches to submit their name for post season. How esle are you supposed to get games unless you ask THE Assigner? We have multi-supervisors in this area and thats how i got started. I would call and ask what do i need to do the work the league. All most all say,"send filled date sheets".
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 11:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb This is what we did.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I agree JR. I guess here in Wichita KS, The only thing not acceptable here is asking coaches to submit their name for post season. How esle are you supposed to get games unless you ask THE Assigner? We have multi-supervisors in this area and thats how i got started. I would call and ask what do i need to do the work the league. All most all say,"send filled date sheets".
At the end of my first year, my partner and I called over a 100 schools (we did not have assignors) and asked every AD that we could speak to, "how do we get games at your school." Some would tell us, "I have some openings." Some would say, "we get our guys from (fill in) Official's Association." Others would say, "we have a certain number of guys we rotate." And others would say, "you are willing to come here to work a game? I have a game here for you." Most ADs were very appreciative we contacted them. We just did it over the phone instead of through the mail (which was suggested by our association). My partner and I had a sales background and had no problem "cold calling" for the lack of a better word, ADs to find out how to work at schools that were not tied to our association.

When I moved to the Chicago area, I had the names of several assignors and called a few of them that I thought I would be willing to work for. I called Official's Associations to ask who assigned for them or who assigned in their area. I was even told to attend camps of certain assignors to get a "try out" of sorts. Most of the assignors that I talked to told me to "send an availibility sheet" and they wanted some background information of my experience. I was doing varsity games before I moved up here, so I did get some varsity with the assignors that saw me during camps my first year here. But I still did some JV and Freshman level games. But I would have never worked at all if I did not call the assignors in the first place.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks fellas. I thought it would be okay for offseason stuff, but I just wanted to be sure. I still don't anticipate doing it on a regular basis this summer. I certainly wouldn't think of doing it during the season.