The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   4 Balks in 1 at bat (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/59576-4-balks-1-bat.html)

umpjim Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:39pm

4 Balks in 1 at bat
 
Tonite, game 2 WS, intentional walk to I can't remember who and DVR messed up. Catcher is well outside before release of pitch. Anyway, it wasn't called and it shouldn't be called.
Point being; Don't be looking for that nitpick.

BSUmp16 Fri Oct 29, 2010 01:58am

Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 29, 2010 07:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

It's the 234 (or whatever) "rules in error" in JEA.

iirc, this particular rule (a) was written when the catcher's box was formed by the foul lines extended, so was much bigger than it is today, (b) is read as "in the catcher's box when F1 commits to pitch"

Rich Fri Oct 29, 2010 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 698715)
Tonite, game 2 WS, intentional walk to I can't remember who and DVR messed up. Catcher is well outside before release of pitch. Anyway, it wasn't called and it shouldn't be called.
Point being; Don't be looking for that nitpick.

Who cares about the release of the ball? This has *always* been interpreted as "when the pitcher commits to pitch" which is well before the release of the ball.

JR12 Fri Oct 29, 2010 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

F1 is wearing a 2 tone glove(OBR). Are you going to call time and make him change it? There are several technicallity's most of us ignore. Of course if the other team complains, you have to do something.
"Don't look for trouble"

Rich Fri Oct 29, 2010 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

You mean like forcing a runner to retouch a base after a foul ball? It's in the rules, but it's not something anyone enforces as long as the runner returns to the vicinity of the base.

MrUmpire Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.


Very appropriate moniker.

JR12 Fri Oct 29, 2010 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

Following a HR, don't give F1 a new ball until the BR touches home plate. Does anybody follow this. I give him a ball, so he can rub it, get on the hill and get ready to pitch to the next batter.

rbmartin Fri Oct 29, 2010 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

You have to actually touch 2nd base when turning a double play;) That one is usually ignored.

dash_riprock Fri Oct 29, 2010 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 698856)
You have to actually touch 2nd base when turning a double play;) That one is usually ignored.

Not in my games.

BSUmp16 Fri Oct 29, 2010 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 698772)
Very appropriate moniker.

OK - I appreciate the responses and perhaps my initial post was a little too officious. :o However, the BS in my "moniker" are my first and last name initials. My Irish mother is very fond of that name (and initials). So although I think its just silly when you make comments like this, she may feel different:)

MrUmpire Fri Oct 29, 2010 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698881)
OK - I appreciate the responses and perhaps my initial post was a little too officious. :o However, the BS in my "moniker" are my first and last name initials. My Irish mother is very fond of that name (and initials). So although I think its just silly when you make comments like this, she may feel different:)

If she read your post, she probably would.

Matt Fri Oct 29, 2010 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR12 (Post 698833)
Following a HR, don't give F1 a new ball until the BR touches home plate. Does anybody follow this. I give him a ball, so he can rub it, get on the hill and get ready to pitch to the next batter.

I do. Learned from experience in a bad-blood game.

It's much easier to toss a pitcher for throwing at the next batter instead of tossing a pitcher and the batter-runner who got pegged rounding second, while dealing with the ****storm of whether a runner would be allowed to take his place to complete his run around the bases.

DG Fri Oct 29, 2010 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 698886)
I do. Learned from experience in a bad-blood game.

It's much easier to toss a pitcher for throwing at the next batter instead of tossing a pitcher and the batter-runner who got pegged rounding second, while dealing with the ****storm of whether a runner would be allowed to take his place to complete his run around the bases.

You have actually seen this happen? What league/age/country?

DG Fri Oct 29, 2010 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR12 (Post 698833)
Following a HR, don't give F1 a new ball until the BR touches home plate. Does anybody follow this. I give him a ball, so he can rub it, get on the hill and get ready to pitch to the next batter.

Rule?

DG Fri Oct 29, 2010 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR12 (Post 698747)
F1 is wearing a 2 tone glove(OBR). Are you going to call time and make him change it? There are several technicallity's most of us ignore. Of course if the other team complains, you have to do something.
"Don't look for trouble"

Rule?

BSUmp16 Fri Oct 29, 2010 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 698883)
If she read your post, she probably would.

I told her what you said. She told me "Tell the nice wee gentleman 'Póg mo thóin!'" :o

umpjim Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:14pm

Originally Posted by JR12
Following a HR, don't give F1 a new ball until the BR touches home plate. Does anybody follow this. I give him a ball, so he can rub it, get on the hill and get ready to pitch to the next batter.

Rule?

3.01(e) comment: which means it's an MLB caseplay.

Why I looked this up don't know. But, I thought like you, that it was just some instruction in the PBUC or MLBUM. I knew I had read it and registered it as a nice to know but not critical to enforce rule? instruction? caseplay?, , I had some free time and found it. Anyway, I found it and depending on what venue you call in it might or might not be a good idea.

MrUmpire Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698900)
I told her what you said. She told me "Tell the nice wee gentleman 'Póg mo thóin!'" :o

Must be the language barrier. She apparently didn't realize how you came across to the others here. That's okay. No offense was intended in her direction. If she didn't understand that, Tá brón orm.

mbyron Sat Oct 30, 2010 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR12 (Post 698833)
Following a HR, don't give F1 a new ball until the BR touches home plate. Does anybody follow this.

It depends on the game situation. Often I will. If I sense flaring tempers, I won't. This is a game management issue, not a mechanics issue. YMMV.

BSUmp16 Sun Oct 31, 2010 02:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 698908)
Must be the language barrier. She apparently didn't realize how you came across to the others here. That's okay. No offense was intended in her direction. If she didn't understand that, Tá brón orm.

From my mother and I: Tá maithiúnas tugtha ar fad. :)

Matt Sun Oct 31, 2010 02:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 698891)
You have actually seen this happen? What league/age/country?

College-age summer league.

mbyron Sun Oct 31, 2010 06:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698999)
From my mother and I: Tá maithiúnas tugtha ar fad. :)

Your Irish might be top notch, but you need to review English pronoun usage. :rolleyes:

johnnyg08 Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:02am

In the PBUC book it says to not throw it back...for pace of play, I'll give the pitcher the ball...if he's dumb enough to throw it at a player, he's getting ejected and probably suspended. I've seen the umpires throw the ball back to the pitcher at all levels.

BSUmp16 Sun Oct 31, 2010 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 699001)
Your Irish might be top notch, but you need to review English pronoun usage. :rolleyes:

To continue our Gaelic theme: Touche :o

Steven Tyler Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 699064)
To continue our Gaelic theme: Touche :o

Don't pay any attention to those two. They're two of the cyber bullies that frequent this forum.

I picture them both being about 5' 2" in their stocking feet, weigh about 120 lbs, the upper body of a newborn and have Coke bottle glasses.

It's just a trigger I use to get through the tedium of their posts....:rolleyes:

P. S.-Feel free to check for spelling and/or grammatical errors.

P. S. S.-You forgot to put the little thinga-ma-jiggy in touché.

yawetag Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 699069)
P. S. S.-You forgot to put the little thinga-ma-jiggy in touché.

It's P.P.S. :D

BSUmp16 Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 699069)
P. S. S.-You forgot to put the little thinga-ma-jiggy in touché.

Touché (again)! :D

P.S. Can't believe you're taking time off from the band to post. Loved your version of "Angel" Happy Holloween

Steven Tyler Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 699070)
It's P.P.S. :D

Like a person in orthopedic shoes, I stand corrected........:)

rbmartin Mon Nov 01, 2010 07:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 698861)
Not in my games.

Then I applaud you sir.

BSUmp16 Mon Nov 01, 2010 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 699082)
Then I applaud you sir.

OK - Halloween is over - back to baseball.

The "In the Neighborhood" play at second has come under more scrutiny lately. Here is one commentator's take:

The "neighborhood play" is an unwritten rule, which is a bit awkward in a game that has an official rulebook for umpires to follow. Would it be so difficult to create a written rule, with guidelines, for what fielders may or may not do to record an out at 2B while attempting to turn a DP? There are rules for touching a live ball with a catcher's mask, for batting out of order, and for a baseball literally coming apart while in play, but no rule for the everyday occurrence of the "neighborhood play."

So an umpire is asked to interpret the details of a rule that doesn't actually exist. Hard to get that one right.


I tend to agree. You start deviating from the written rules of the game and you're asking for trouble. Having said that - i never make a baserunner retouch his base after a foul ball. There is a line between over-officiating and simply ignoring the written rules, my earlier post was just trying to get some clarification as to where that line is.

MrUmpire Mon Nov 01, 2010 05:19pm

There is no "That Line". There are many lines. Umpires through their experience, background, and knowledge and understanding of the game, have their own line. Those who draw it most apporpriately move up and are successful. Those who don't, don't.

It's similar to Louis Armstrong's famous response to the question of "What is jazz?"

"If ya have ta ask, you'll never know."

Draw your line. As you progress you will move it one way and then the other. It'll curve to include somethings but not others. Watch, work, listen and learn and your line will be right where it's supposed to be.

BSUmp16 Mon Nov 01, 2010 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 699082)
Then I applaud you sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 699186)
There is no "That Line". There are many lines. Umpires through their experience, background, and knowledge and understanding of the game, have their own line. Those who draw it most apporpriately move up and are successful. Those who don't, don't.

It's similar to Louis Armstrong's famous response to the question of "What is jazz?"

"If ya have ta ask, you'll never know."

Draw your line. As you progress you will move it one way and then the other. It'll curve to include somethings but not others. Watch, work, listen and learn and your line will be right where it's supposed to be.

I'm not sure that in this context comparing baseball (which has a detailed written rulebook, a lot of written caseplays, written interpretations, extensive written manuals and spectators, players and coaches always checking to see if you made the "right" call) to Jazz (where the better you make stuff up "on-the-fly" (i.e., improvise) the better you are) is entirely the right analogy. I get what you're saying, but am a little leery of taking it too far. No one wants to be "officious". Everyone should want to be "official"

MrUmpire Mon Nov 01, 2010 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 699187)
I'm not sure that in this context comparing baseball (which has a detailed written rulebook, a lot of written caseplays, written interpretations, extensive written manuals and spectators, players and coaches always checking to see if you made the "right" call) to Jazz (where the better you make stuff up "on-the-fly" (i.e., improvise) the better you are) is entirely the right analogy. I get what you're saying, but am a little leery of taking it too far. No one wants to be "officious". Everyone should want to be "official"

If you take it too far, then you don't get what I'm saying.

As you progress you'll see that the lines become increasingly similar.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 699069)
Don't pay any attention to those two. They're two of the cyber bullies that frequent this forum.

I picture them both being about 5' 2" in their stocking feet, weigh about 120 lbs, the upper body of a newborn and have Coke bottle glasses. ...

What are you?

I picture you as a tough-writin' Texan (congratulations, by the way), with all kinds of courage ... for writing critical comments on a message forum. Face-to-face, the courage melts away.

Little people like you, making fun of imagining that others are even littler, well, you are a lot of fun.

yawetag Tue Nov 02, 2010 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 699305)
What are you?

You don't know Steven Tyler?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...steven2006.jpg

dash_riprock Tue Nov 02, 2010 01:53pm

You cannot turn a DP without touching the base (or the runner). Now if the throw is right to F4 (or whomever is covering), and he pulls off just as he receives the throw, he's getting the benefit of the doubt. But an out without touching the base at all (aka the neighborhood play) - no way. Safe - off the bag.

Steven Tyler Tue Nov 02, 2010 05:27pm

Well, since you asked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 699305)
What are you?

I picture you as a tough-writin' Texan (congratulations, by the way), with all kinds of courage ... for writing critical comments on a message forum. Face-to-face, the courage melts away.

Little people like you, making fun of imagining that others are even littler, well, you are a lot of fun.

Calm down, Charlie Sheen. Nobody took your watch.

I going to be upfront and honest with you. I played in what is now known as Division I (FCS) football at TCU in the old Southwest Conference. I was a starting defensive back my last three years, primarily as a strong safety. I was talked into to going there by a chap named Bob Lilly. Mr. Lilly had played there in the late 50s with the older brother of my best friend in school and today, which is where I had become acquainted with Mr. Lilly in my formative years.

I went head to head against Heisman Trophy winner, Earl Campbell for three years, and I pretty much held my own against the roughest, toughest son of gun I have ever encountered on the gridiron, or anywhere else for that matter.

As a point of fact, I do sit tall in the saddle (Have you even be around a horse?). Therefore, I'm not quite the little person you envision. I now play softball on a team that won the AAA 50 and over National title, where I hit fifth in the lineup and play SS and 3B. I can take it over a 300 ft. fence on occasion.

I've only been in one fisticuff altercation, expert with my older brothers who matriculated to SMU and Texas on football scholarships and they really didn't swing back. It occurred several years ago when my girlfriend (and late wife) and I had gone out dancing for the evening. A guy that was extremely inebriated thought it perfectly alright to walk by and grab her on the butt. After about three failed polite attempts to try and get him to cease such activities, he became belligerent, swung and hit me in the face. Needless to say, I became very agitated, swung and hit him in the mouth. After the fracas was over, I was the one that had to go to the hospital. However, it was only to get one of his front teeth removed from my hand that was embedded in it. Where the other chap went, I don't know.

I don't know if you have been paying close attention, but I have never replied to any poster that knows how to be civil in any critical fashion. I've only done that to the ones that answer in the same critical manner to others, myself included. I'm always amazed that these same posters want to play the part of a martyr when the situation backfires in their face. They have mastered the art of pushing, they just don't understand the concept of pushing back.

Anyway, enough about myself. I very much don't like bragging about my past accomplishments, because there are many others that in the past that have achieved as much, and in most cases more than I. In fact, there are many other individuals that will also do so in the future. Besides, I don't have much of an affinity for blowhards, and I don't wish to become one myself.

In closing, Kevin have a great day and may the upcoming holiday season be special for you and your family. Like Jim Rome says, "I'm outta here".

Steven Tyler Tue Nov 02, 2010 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 699355)

It would nice, if on occasion, someone would post a picture of myself and my Toxic Twin, Joe Perry....;)

SanDiegoSteve Tue Nov 02, 2010 06:16pm

Just for you, Paul. Nobody knows but Joe Pe-ree.:)

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/q...rosmith_03.jpg

MrUmpire Tue Nov 02, 2010 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 699390)
Calm down, Charlie Sheen. Nobody took your watch.

I going to be upfront and honest with you... Like Jim Rome says, "I'm outta here".

If only those two statements were true.

Steven Tyler Tue Nov 02, 2010 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 699416)
If only those two statements were true.


Refresh me. Did you say you were in the mental health profession or that you had mental health problems? I'm guessing the latter.....:confused:

biggravy Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 699148)
OK - Halloween is over - back to baseball.

The "In the Neighborhood" play at second has come under more scrutiny lately. Here is one commentator's take:

Got to that part and quit reading.

BSUmp16 Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggravy (Post 699443)
Got to that part and quit reading.

Sorry - Too big of a word for you, my bad. Translation: "Commentator" = "Writer" (like everyone else on this forum).

Rich Ives Wed Nov 03, 2010 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 699445)
Sorry - Too big of a word for you, my bad. Translation: "Commentator" = "Writer" (like everyone else on this forum).

Wat he meant was "Commentators are clueless so I'm not reading his meaningless comments".

dash_riprock Wed Nov 03, 2010 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 699445)
"Writer" (like everyone else on this forum).

Make that poster instead of writer. On most forums, it is quite common to see such things as: "He should of went home." That's not writing.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 699445)
Sorry - Too big of a word for you, my bad. Translation: "Commentator" = "Writer" (like everyone else on this forum).

You will find that the vast majority of the posters on this forum are quite intelligent, and that insulting that intelligence is very rude on your part. You are new here. You remind me of me when I was new here. Just because I had 20 years umpiring experience I thought I knew it all and nobody could tell me anything new. I soon found out that the people here were much smarter than I had given them credit for originally.

MD Longhorn Wed Nov 03, 2010 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 699358)
You cannot turn a DP without touching the base (or the runner). Now if the throw is right to F4 (or whomever is covering), and he pulls off just as he receives the throw, he's getting the benefit of the doubt. But an out without touching the base at all (aka the neighborhood play) - no way. Safe - off the bag.

Not at any significant level of ball... generally, if the player is straddling the base, they'll get credit for the touch even if they aren't touching it.

mbyron Wed Nov 03, 2010 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 699489)
Not at any significant level of ball... generally, if the player is straddling the base, they'll get credit for the touch even if they aren't touching it.

I'm not sure whether MLB is a significant level, but I saw exactly this play ruled "safe" this past season. The fielder didn't move his feet, one on each side of 2B, and threw to 1B. U2 signaled safe.

dash_riprock Wed Nov 03, 2010 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 699489)
Not at any significant level of ball... generally, if the player is straddling the base, they'll get credit for the touch even if they aren't touching it.

I disagree. They don't get that in the major leagues.

MD Longhorn Wed Nov 03, 2010 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 699493)
I'm not sure whether MLB is a significant level, but I saw exactly this play ruled "safe" this past season. The fielder didn't move his feet, one on each side of 2B, and threw to 1B. U2 signaled safe.

I'd love to see this video.

UmpTTS43 Wed Nov 03, 2010 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 699493)
I'm not sure whether MLB is a significant level, but I saw exactly this play ruled "safe" this past season. The fielder didn't move his feet, one on each side of 2B, and threw to 1B. U2 signaled safe.

I think it might have happened last year in the playoffs. The call went against the Angels I believe.

If the fielder is straddling the base, without at least making it appear he touched the base, he is not getting that call. With a good throw, the fielder must make it appear that contact with the base occured.

Rich Ives Wed Nov 03, 2010 04:27pm

I see maybe one neighborhood a season in MLB and the announcers are usually all over it.

Replay killed the neighborhood play - as well it should.

Rich Ives Wed Nov 03, 2010 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 699513)
I think it might have happened last year in the playoffs. The call went against the Angels I believe.
.

I remember that.

dash_riprock Wed Nov 03, 2010 04:35pm

It was Yanks/Angels last year, 10th inning. Jerry Layne was U2. Aybar never came close to the bag. Great call.

mbyron Wed Nov 03, 2010 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 699516)
It was Yanks/Angels last year, 10th inning. Jerry Layne was U2. Aybar never came close to the bag. Great call.

Yep, that's the one.

Mike, here's the video:
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | ALCS Gm 2: TV, radio calls on Halos' near double play - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Kevin Finnerty Thu Nov 04, 2010 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 699390)
I going to be upfront and honest with you. ...

I went head to head against Heisman Trophy winner, Earl Campbell for three years, and I pretty much held my own against the roughest, toughest son of gun I have ever encountered on the gridiron, or anywhere else for that matter.

As a point of fact, I do sit tall in the saddle (Have you even be around a horse?). Therefore, I'm not quite the little person you envision. I now play softball on a team that won the AAA 50 and over National title, where I hit fifth in the lineup and play SS and 3B. I can take it over a 300 ft. fence on occasion.

I've only been in one fisticuff altercation ... It occurred several years ago when my girlfriend (and late wife) and I had gone out dancing for the evening. A guy that was extremely inebriated thought it perfectly alright to walk by and grab her on the butt. After about three failed polite attempts to try and get him to cease such activities, he became belligerent, swung and hit me in the face. Needless to say, I became very agitated, swung and hit him in the mouth. After the fracas was over, I was the one that had to go to the hospital. However, it was only to get one of his front teeth removed from my hand that was embedded in it. Where the other chap went, I don't know.

I don't know if you have been paying close attention, but I have never replied to any poster that knows how to be civil in any critical fashion. :D:D ... I've only done that to the ones that answer in the same critical manner to others, myself included. I'm always amazed that these same posters want to play the part of a martyr when the situation backfires in their face. They have mastered the art of pushing, they just don't understand the concept of pushing back.

Anyway, enough about myself. I very much don't like bragging about my past accomplishments, because there are many others that in the past that have achieved as much, and in most cases more than I. Besides, I don't have much of an affinity for blowhards, and I don't wish to become one myself.
:D:D:D:D:D

In closing, Kevin have a great day and may the upcoming holiday season be special for you and your family. Like Jim Rome says, "I'm outta here".

Man, you are a vastly more fun little person than I imagined.

MD Longhorn Thu Nov 04, 2010 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 699529)

Thanks.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 699514)
I see maybe one neighborhood a season in MLB and the announcers are usually all over it.

Replay killed the neighborhood play - as well it should.

Hall-of-Fame-bound Rod Carew got his knee torn in half getting taken out on a pivot, and the neighborhood was born. If it's in the rhythm of the play, it's cool. But when the fielder A) never touches the bag in the first place; B) is pulled away by the throw; or C) straddles the bag like Aybar, I never give the neighborhood. That was a great call by Layne.

Rich Ives Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 699608)
Hall-of-Fame-bound Rod Carew got his knee torn in half getting taken out on a pivot, and the neighborhood was born. If it's in the rhythm of the play, it's cool. But when the fielder A) never touches the bag in the first place; B) is pulled away by the throw; or C) straddles the bag like Aybar, I never give the neighborhood. That was a great call by Layne.

The neighborhood was born LONG before that.

MrUmpire Thu Nov 04, 2010 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 699614)
The neighborhood was born LONG before that.

Correct. I can't pinpoint the date, but I do know that umpires were giving the neighborhood play at the ML level when I first started attending ML games in 1963...some four years before Carew made it to the majors.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 699661)
Correct. I can't pinpoint the date, but I do know that umpires were giving the neighborhood play at the ML level when I first started attending ML games in 1963...some four years before Carew made it to the majors.

And it was a very large neighborhood indeed, more like the entire zip code.:cool:

Kevin Finnerty Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:40am

Rewrite: Hall-of-Fame-bound Rod Carew got his knee torn in half getting taken out on a pivot, and the neighborhood was more uniformly accepted as a result.

MrUmpire Fri Nov 05, 2010 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 699696)
And it was a very large neighborhood indeed, more like the entire zip code.:cool:

Zip codes were introduced in 1963. We hadn't yet hung that label on the neighborhood play. I remember my dad referring to "Zones". (God, I'm getting old.)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1