The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

NEW NCAA Bats, BAD?

Last evening I happened to work a college fall ball game. Nice game for this time of year. The one thing of interest I wanted to bring up here was the players opinion of the new bat rule compliant bats they were forced to use.

The team had 3 Nike bats held to the new standard. That's all they were allowed to use. Everyone one of the players in the game hated the new bats. They complained the bats were dead, and they did not get much carry with them.

Obviously, it could be they are Nike bats, and that's the problem. But I am wondering if any of you had noticed or heard the same reaction?

If you have heard the same comments, then maybe the new NCAA bat standard will be a good one for the game.

Opinions?

Last edited by jkumpire; Tue Oct 19, 2010 at 08:57pm. Reason: bad typing
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 09:05pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Everyone one of the players in the game hated the new bats. They complained the bats were dead, and they did not get much carry with them.
Good. Sign them up for slow pitch softball if they want a bat to do all the work. Best thing that could happened for NCAA baseball.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

My son works at a high end baseball store, and all his reports are that the new bats suck. An Easton rep showed him the modifications that they made, and they explained why. Easton added braced rings as supports inside the bat. They add strength, and decrease flex. It's changed the swing weight, and deadened the pop. So they don't swing as quickly, and the ball doesn't go as far.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

I've worked several college fall games in the past few weeks and none of the players like them, which probably means that the new rule is a success already. One team is using Rawlings compliant bats and I'm not sure what the other team was using, but they were dead too. Definitely no "piiiing!" anymore.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Too bad we have to wait another year for FED ball to comply.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
My son works at a high end baseball store, and all his reports are that the new bats suck. An Easton rep showed him the modifications that they made, and they explained why. Easton added braced rings as supports inside the bat. They add strength, and decrease flex. It's changed the swing weight, and deadened the pop. So they don't swing as quickly, and the ball doesn't go as far.
At the recent game I did, several players told me that they also had problems with the bats denting. Maybe it's the brand (anyone ever seen a good Nike Bat?), but I wonder how much is real change and how much perception. In my game we still had a bunch of rockets hit, but only 1 homer.

Also interesting was the response of an F2 in the game. When he complained I said, "Well you have to hit it on the screws right?" He said he had not really found a sweet spot like a wooden bat has.

Looks like the new bats will work, but there will be a big adjustment period for players and maybe manufacturers. So unlike kylejt, I believe that FED waiting a year is a good idea; let the NCAA people work the kinks out then use a more proven product for HS kids.

Looks like it ought to be interesting next season, but I wonder how we are going to be policing teams with these new sticks. Are we going to have to carry a notebook with pictures to every field? Get into the dugouts again?
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 09:08am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:

Looks like it ought to be interesting next season, but I wonder how we are going to be policing teams with these new sticks. Are we going to have to carry a notebook with pictures to every field? Get into the dugouts again?
Just listen for the "ping"....

JJ
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 09:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That doesn't suck, that makes the players actually hit the ball instead of letting the bat do all the work. Maybe we'll see more 2-1 games and less 13-12 games. If so, great. And maybe the bat manufacturers won't be able to justify a $300 price tag for their bats anymore. If so, even better.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

I'm just telling you what the players are reporting back to the store. As an umpire, I couldn't care less.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Get into the dugouts again?
Again? When did we stop in high school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Maybe we'll see more 2-1 games and less 13-12 games. If so, great.
+1. Getting off the field faster is never a bad idea.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The bats will have to have a certification mark.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 03:20pm
Veteran College Umpire

"This Bat Is SUCK Certified"

JJ
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Wait until these "wonder boys" get a contract and walk onto a professional field. The biggest adjustment these players have to make is using a wood bat!
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm just telling you what the players are reporting back to the store. As an umpire, I couldn't care less.
The bat companies are finally doing what they claimed they were doing five years ago, making their bats perform more like wood. Some studies I've seen indicate a loss in distance of between 7-9%. Woo Hoo!

Players don't like it? Bummer. Good hitters will still hit.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Just use wood...

We have a High School summer wood bat league here and it has taken all of the kids out of Legion A & AA level ball. They still score runs in bunches. Nothing like the sound of wood at a ball game. I know someone will bring up cost or safety due to broken bats. There are great bats out there that will give the performance of wood but break like wood....

MetalWood Bats | Discover MetalWood Bats