The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Memory Jog - BOO

Batter bats out of turn, hitting into a DP, at which point the BOO is appealed (before the next pitch).

Which rule set nullifies the DP, and which do we have 3 outs?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 05:14pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Batter bats out of turn, hitting into a DP, at which point the BOO is appealed (before the next pitch).

Off hand I would say OBR and NCAA nullify the DP. FED would allow for the three outs
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 05:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Assuming by double play, you mean something along the lines of R1 and BR being put out?

In Fed, does the put out on the improper batter still stand? I was under the impression that it would not and only the proper batter being delcared out would stand (along with any other outs made on the play).
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

I thought that in Fed you did not get the out on the improper batter.

The only code I know of that gives three outs on this play is ASA softball. (But there are a lot of codes out there.)
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sheesh (as Cookie would say) - MB - Are you doing this just to get me going again?

In FED the outs stand - we have 3 outs
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Only 2 outs in FED. The out for BOO supersedes the out made by the improper batter.

In FED, the only way to get 3 outs is to retire 2 runners other than the illegal batter.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 09:52pm.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 09:51pm
Archaic Power Monger

Thanks Dash.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Only 2 outs in FED. The out for BOO supersedes the out made by the improper batter.

In FED, the only way to get 3 outs is to retire 2 runners other than the illegal batter.
Dash - Your 100% right. I was only 50% right. In FED the outs do stand but the out for batting out of order supersedes the out by the improper batter on a play. (7.1.1). Thanks for the quick correction
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Good some sanity was interjected. 2 batters resulting in 3 outs is just too far out there...
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Good some sanity was interjected. 2 batters resulting in 3 outs is just too far out there...

In ASA softball, even the leadoff batter of an inning can account for 3 outs, improper batter or not—if he hits a ball over the fence after his team has reached its home run limit. (This rule is popular with umpires.)
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post

In ASA softball, even the leadoff batter of an inning can account for 3 outs, improper batter or not—if he hits a ball over the fence after his team has reached its home run limit. (This rule is popular with umpires.)
Explain please.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thought we already determined it was 3 in FED, if the 2 outs were not the improper batter.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thought we already determined it was 3 in FED, if the 2 outs were not the improper batter.
That's correct.

The confusion comes (in my view) because the Op (that's you) did not specify which runners were involved in the DP.

So, if the situation starts with R1 and R2, no outs, then:

a) R1 and R2 are out on the DP, with BR reaching first: FED: B3 is out for BOO; the other outs stand. Inning over.

b) R1 and BR are out on the DP, with R2 reaching third: FED: B3 is out for BOO. R1 is out on the play. R2 returns to second. B4 bats with two outs.

For NCAA and OBR on both plays: B3 is out for BOO, R1 and R2 return to first and second.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's correct.

The confusion comes (in my view) because the Op (that's you) did not specify which runners were involved in the DP.

So, if the situation starts with R1 and R2, no outs, then:

a) R1 and R2 are out on the DP, with BR reaching first: FED: B3 is out for BOO; the other outs stand. Inning over.

b) R1 and BR are out on the DP, with R2 reaching third: FED: B3 is out for BOO. R1 is out on the play. R2 returns to second. B4 bats with two outs.

For NCAA and OBR on both plays: B3 is out for BOO, R1 and R2 return to first and second.
Yeah ... the OP (that's me) didn't know it mattered until I read it here. I think the last FED baseball game I did was at least 5 years ago, so I'd forgotten.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Explain please.

It used to be that excess (over-the-fence) home runs were just outs. Batter out, all runners return TOP.

I umpired many games in which teams would reach their home run limit in, say, the third inning but still be unable to keep the ball in the park. I remember when two big-time teams together hit 11 "outs" over the fence after they had reached their limit. The game ended 44-38.

I've seen teams that were trailing badly in the bottom of the seventh simply hit three blasts over the fence to get the game over with. (When those crusher teams are trying to hit the ball over the fence, the balls sometimes land 100 or more feet past the 300-foot fence.)

But a couple of years ago, ASA decided to increase the penalty such that not only was the batter out, but the half-inning ended at that point. If you have the bases loaded and no outs, and your batter hits one over the fence, it's 3 outs, 0 runs, and change sides.

Most rec leagues with home run limits still penalize with just the batter out, but in the official ASA tournaments, the immediate-three-outs rule applies.