Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 01:54pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
MLB and Umps to Meet this Winter

MLB players granted December meeting umps, MLB - ESPN

"Multiple players have told ESPN.com that tensions have increased with umpires. They also are concerned about a lack of transparency when umpires are evaluated."

Thoughts?
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I think the majority of the umpires do a rather solid job calling their games. And I think we all know which ones are not in the majority, but even those we umpires might think are subpar, are probably still getting the vast majority of their calls right.

I think there are two main problems. One is that there are a LOT of egos out there wearing blue. I recognize that it takes a crapload of hard work to get to where they are. But a lot of them seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Not the majority, but enough to have created a PR problem. The other is that TV, with HD and 24-32 cameras in a stadium, the errors that ARE made are more public, more glaring. I would be you that umpires are not any worse than they've been over time (and quite possibly better). But now that people upset about a call can see it in ultra slomo to "prove" they are right, their complaints are more vocal.

My worry is that the perception (true or not) that the umpires are worse than they used to be, coupled with the arrogance and "above it all" attitude of many of the umpires, and even of the procedures of the group of umpires, is going to lead us to a significant increase in replay usage.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

And the good thing for most of us is that we'll never have to worry about it...
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
And the good thing for most of us is that we'll never have to worry about it...
Agreed and it is a problem. I remember years ago when I was young and moving up the ranks in college etc., it was tough. It was tough to be prepared day after day, dealing even then with coaches, fans, players etc.,

Now I'm older and don't think it would have any of the patience that it took when i was younger to be a good umpire at that level. Most of the veteran umpires are getting OLD! (like me). The older I get, the less patience I have with spoiled rotten little kids trying to tell me how to do my job ...

Thanks
David
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I think that there are too many cry-babies carrying a bat these days. I have never seen so many players pi$$ & moan about called strikes as there have been this season. Who do these players think they are? When you come right down to it, they suck! They have averages between 250 & 300 yet they expect the umpire to be 1000 and better!

In my day, you kept your mouth shut or your manager would fine your butt for arguing, then put your butt on the bench for a couple of games - and that is if you were right! Players turning around and confronting the umpire was just not done. It was your job to swing to the umpire's zone and that was that. But today, you get 100 times the money and complain about every little thing. Professionals? My a$$!