The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 07:33pm
Administrator

The Winter Weather Season Is Upon Us!

The entire northern two-thirds of Ohio is under a Winter Storm Warning at is in effect until 12:00amEST, Sunday, January 11th. I was not scheduled to officiate tonight but Mark, Jr. was scheduled to officiate a girls' H.S. freshmen game this evening but it was canceled; the game was half way be Ohio Northern Univ. and Toledo, and he was going to continue on home because we were officiating in the Paulding County Knights of Columbus Special Olypmics Tournament tomorrow morning and afternoon. The Special Olympics Tournament was canceled at 02:00pm this afternoon. We each had H.S. games tomorrow evening which are in doubt because of the weather.

Just another fun winter weekend in northern Ohio.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, Southern California is under a Winter Storm Warning as well. It consists of Sun and balmy temperatures way down in the 40's at night. Games arent being cancelled anywhere, but there have been reports of officials not being able to make their games due to the inclement weather.

Just another fun winter weekend in Southern California. If you want to know what it looks like, just close your eyes and try not to get to cold from picturing the 40 degree nights. The only thing in doubt about my game tomorrow is going to be whether I have a nice tasty burrito after I am done around noon. Tough decisions lie ahead for me.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 08:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Yeah, Southern California is under a Winter Storm Warning as well. It consists of Sun and balmy temperatures way down in the 40's at night. Games arent being cancelled anywhere, but there have been reports of officials not being able to make their games due to the inclement weather.

Just another fun winter weekend in Southern California. If you want to know what it looks like, just close your eyes and try not to get to cold from picturing the 40 degree nights. The only thing in doubt about my game tomorrow is going to be whether I have a nice tasty burrito after I am done around noon. Tough decisions lie ahead for me.

Hey, you can't con me. I lived in Glendale from '82 to '84 and officiated the 82-83 and 83-84 seasons there. Boys' and girls' H.S. in the San Gabriel Valley Unit of the So. Calf. Bkb. Offl Assn. (now the Calif. Bkb. Off. Assn.) and women's college in the So. Calf. Board of Women's Coll. Bkb. Off. (and old NAGWS Board).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

It's times like this I miss living in Port Hueneme, CA.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Yesterday afternoon our USTA Mixed doubles team had a practice. I was a little miffed about having to take my sweatshirt off in warm ups. So I ended up playing in shorts and a Tee shirt....I live in the capital area of California.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

yeah its tough -- i dont know how im going to make it to my 1030 game right now -- Im looking out my window and all I see is sum for miles. when will this weather end. summer cant get here too soon.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 12:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Please, No More Posts From Warm Climate Members, Please ...

I just lost a prep school game scheduled for this afternoon, and it hasn't even started snowing yet here "Beside the Long Tidal River". I'm not available for the makeup date. There's $84.44 gone, and I've got a boring Saturday afternoon looming ahead of me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 12:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... and he was going to continue on home because we were officiating in the Paulding County Knights of Columbus Special Olypmics Tournament tomorrow morning and afternoon. The Special Olympics Tournament was canceled at 02:00pm this afternoon.
That's a shame about the Special Olympics. I've volunteered for them before. It's probably the most rewarding experience in my entire career.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 12:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Give It A Try, I Guarantee You'll Come Back For More ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
That's a shame about the Special Olympics. I've volunteered for them before. It's probably the most rewarding experience in my entire career.
We do Unified Games here in the March. Special Olympics athletes and their teammates without intellectual disabilities play together. No fees paid, and yet, if you don't sign up right away, you can't get an assignment. Great way to end the season. Usually midafternoon games, it's the only time I ask my supervisor for time off from work for a game, and I get paid by the hour, so it costs me money to officiate. But the experience is, as they say in those credit card ads, "Priceless".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)