The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Third World Play to end all Third World Plays

I had the honor of working the American Legion Southeast Regional this year. You would think that at this level, you wouldn't have a third world play like this one, but we did. I thought I'd share it if for nothing more than the ending is funny as hell.

Puerto Rico is batting. No outs, R1 and R2. The ball was hit down the right field line, hit the wall and fell to the ground. However, the right fielder got a great jump on the ball, and there was a legitmate chance that he was going to catch it. Hence, R1 and R2 held up near their respective bases. B/R, of course, put his head down and kept on chugging along.

When the play was over, R2 was standing on third, B/R was standing on second and R1 was still on FIRST!!!

The right-fielder picked up the ball and fired to second, where the defensive team's shortstop caught the ball and tagged second.

We, of course, called B/R out for passing a lead runner. We then informed the defense that R1 was NOT out on the force at second base because the force was removed the instant B/R was called out for passing R1. The defensive coach did not follow our explanation, but just said (paraphrasing) "All I know is I thought we had just given up a two run double, and now your telling me they score no runs and I get an out! So, I'm not complaining, play ball!"

The Puerto Rico coach said, "no double play? Then I no complain. Play ball."

The funny part is what happened the next day. The North Carolina coach came up to me and said, "I didn't know the rule last night, but I looked it up and I think you guys got the play right."

The Puerto Rico coach, however, said, "Last time we played in the regional at this ballpark (in 2004), we did the same thing!" It took us five minutes to stop laughing.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 02:03pm
Veteran College Umpire

Congrats on the Legion Regional - I got to do the Great Lakes Regional, and we had a great time!
I had a similar play in a Missouri Valley game years ago - the batter actually hit a home run over the fence and passed the runner on first who wasn't sure if the ball would be caught. After I called the batter out and the play ended, the OC came out and said "What have you got?". I told him the batter was out for passing the runner WHO WAS STILL STANDING ON FIRST BASE. He looked at the runner, looked back at me and said, "Oh." Then he went back to the dugout and between innings proceeded to "coach" the batter AND the first base coach quite loudly.
I love this game.

JJ
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Then he went back to the dugout and between innings proceeded to "coach" the batter AND the first base coach quite loudly.
Euphemism of the day.