Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Playing devils advocate with a play from a day game:

R3, R2, R1 two outs, batted ball to the outfield. R3 stumbles and breaks his leg. Play cannot continue without following runners passing R3. What then?
Options:

a) R2 picks up R3 and carries him home.

b) R3 is tagged out.

If the ball becomes dead for some other reason (hit or thrown into the stands, for example), the offense is allowed to put in a sub for the injured runner.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 09:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The debate continues over maple bats

Colvin's injury stirs debate over maple bats but ban unlikely - USATODAY.com

From the article:

"MLB understands that some players want maple bats banned but has no plans to take such action, said Rob Manfred, executive vice president of labor relations. Maple and ash are the primary types of wood used in the majors, and Manfred says there is not enough ash to meet demand."
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

It's just a metter of time before someone is killed. Then MLB will be forced to take action (and defend itself for its inaction to that point).
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven K View Post
It's just a metter of time before someone is killed. Then MLB will be forced to take action (and defend itself for its inaction to that point).
Just a matter of time? Really? How many games have been played with Maple bats so far?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

When some person (especially someone in the stands) is killed, the number of games played to that point will be small consolation to the family of the diseased. And MLB won't be able to say that there were no indications that it was coming.

The guys like the thin handled bats - presumably because they are similar to non-wooden bats in amateur ball. Dangerous shards are common and are becoming more so. To do nothing is just foolish. There must be some alternatives which would not effect the game much yet would prevent daggers from flying.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 11:44am
9/11 - Never Forget

While I'm certainly no Mr. Spelling Guy......

Quote:
When some person (especially someone in the stands) is killed, the number of games played to that point will be small consolation to the family of the diseased. And MLB won't be able to say that there were no indications that it was coming.
diseased or deceased?
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The guys like the thin handled bats - presumably because they are similar to non-wooden bats in amateur ball. Dangerous shards are common and are becoming more so. To do nothing is just foolish. There must be some alternatives which would not effect the game much yet would prevent daggers from flying.
What do you suggest then? What would absolutely positively prevent any injuries or diseases from occuring from a possibly shattered bat, something that has a lower percentage of happening than someone getting hit by lightning.

(Speaking of odds ... if your nearest convenience store is 1 1/2 miles from your home, the odds of you being killed in a car accident on the way to the store is 3 times higher than winning the lottery with the ticket you bought at that store... should we legislate no more lottery - it's not safe!!!)

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
diseased or deceased?
Well, the fans do have to worry about Maple Wilt, Anthracnose, Tar Spot, and Sapstreak. None of those sound exciting. It's amazing to me we haven't yet seen an increase in these found in baseball players.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

It took the death of a young girl at a hockey game to motivate the NHL to install nets. How many had died before then? None?

Maybe one death wasn't enough for you. Didn't make it "worth it", I guess.

I'm duly impressed with your high tolerance for the risk borne by other people.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

I see your tolerance for others' risk is exceeded only by your intolerance of others' opinions.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Fan Died

Quote:
It took the death of a young girl at a hockey game to motivate the NHL to install nets. How many had died before then? None?

Maybe one death wasn't enough for you. Didn't make it "worth it", I guess.

I'm duly impressed with your high tolerance for the risk borne by other people.
A fan was killed by a foul ball at a Texas League game this year. Incident was not covered by the major NEWS networks who practice ambulance chasing on the nightly news. How did you hear about it?

As far as maple bats are concerned, MLB only needs to increase the thickness of the bat handle.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 11:45pm.
Old Sat Sep 25, 2010, 07:47am
9/11 - Never Forget

More Fuel for the "Maple Bat" Fire

Another bat explodes; Cliff Lee nicked with splinter behind ear - Big League Stew - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
Old Sat Sep 25, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Cliff Lee video. Just a sprinkling of maple.

Top Plays | TEX@OAK: Cust gives A's lead as his bat nicks Lee - Video | texasrangers.com: Multimedia
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 01:54pm
M.A.S.H.

I was actually at this game. If you watched it you probably saw me as there were only 20 other people at the ballpark.

I didn't know what happened until after the game. I saw the trainer come out and two runners scored on the play. I just figured he was the one on second and pulled something rounding 3rd.

I was certainly shocking when we found out afterwards.