The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Tyler Colvin (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/59115-tyler-colvin.html)

JJ Sun Sep 19, 2010 09:47pm

Tyler Colvin

:eek: Are there any pictures or clips of Tyler Colvin getting drilled (no pun intended) with the broken bat today? I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. That's exactly the reason MLB and MiLB are considering bans on maple bats...

JJ

GerryB Sun Sep 19, 2010 09:53pm

Colvin in hospital after bat punctures chest | MLB.com: News

Scary.

IowaMike Sun Sep 19, 2010 09:56pm

Pretty scary. I was flipping back and forth between the Cubs and Bears today and just happened to be watching when it happened. A little lower he gets it in the heart, a little higher in the neck. Sounds like he is going to be ok but staying in the hospital for a day or two. If you notice he was watching the ball in left field and never saw the bat coming. Surprised it doesn't happen more often considering how many bats shatter like that.

YouTube - Tyler Colvin impaled by broken bat

grunewar Mon Sep 20, 2010 04:53am

His delayed reaction is what amazed me so much, as it initially appears not to be too bad.

Scary is right! Hope he's ok.

barkmo Mon Sep 20, 2010 09:55am

What is the call if he (Colvin) could not continue? I assume live ball until he is put out.

mbyron Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkmo (Post 693058)
What is the call if he (Colvin) could not continue? I assume live ball until he is put out.

Correct. No provision in the rules for anything else.

UmpJM Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:05pm

Michael,

What about:

Quote:

5.10 The ball becomes dead when an umpire calls “Time.” The umpire-in-chief shall call “Time”—

(c) When an accident incapacitates a player or an umpire;
?

JM

Mrumpiresir Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:36pm

Play should continue in most situations. Time should be called after all playing action has ceased. (probably after an injured runner has been tagged out).

There are instances where time would be called immediately, when it is apparent that the player needs immediate attention.

mbyron Mon Sep 20, 2010 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 693076)
Michael,

What about:

?

JM

Are you interpreting that as grounds for stopping play, or as proper procedure once action is complete?

MD Longhorn Mon Sep 20, 2010 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 693076)
Michael,

What about:

?

JM

That's the rule to use when calling time after play has ceased. Can't imagine doing this while play goes on ... at least not at any shaving level of baseball.

rbmartin Mon Sep 20, 2010 03:27pm

Derek Jeter would have called out a stretcher to carry him to home plate.

Toadman15241 Mon Sep 20, 2010 03:44pm

This is really quite simple. If you think that the 10 second difference between calling time immediately and waiting til action has stopped has the potential to save a player's life or prevent permanent injury then kill the play immediately. Otherwise, wait until action is over.

The situations in which those 10 seconds have the potential to make a difference are so rare that I would guess they occur worldwide maybe once a decade at all levels of ball.

Tim C Mon Sep 20, 2010 04:20pm

Hmmm,

John McSherry told us: "if the batter runner rounds first f#$&#$% base and breaks his f#$&#$% leg you don't call f#$&#$% "Time" until all f#$&#$% activity is f#$&#$% DONE. I don't care if the motherf#$&@* is bleeding to death!"

I have always lived with that process.

T

MD Longhorn Mon Sep 20, 2010 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 693116)
John McSherry told us: "if the batter runner rounds first f#$&#$% base and breaks his f#$&#$% leg you don't call f#$&#$% "Time" until all f#$&#$% activity is f#$&#$% DONE. I don't care if the motherf#$&@* is bleeding to death!"

I have always lived with that process.

T

I agree. I can't even invent a reason to stop play in softball or baseball, or even basketball. Football or hockey ... maybe. Hasn't happened yet, but I can at least invent a situation where it might be truly necessary.

MrUmpire Mon Sep 20, 2010 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 693117)
I agree. I can't even invent a reason to stop play in softball or baseball, or even basketball. Football or hockey ... maybe. Hasn't happened yet, but I can at least invent a situation where it might be truly necessary.

Playing devils advocate with a play from a day game:

R3, R2, R1 two outs, batted ball to the outfield. R3 stumbles and breaks his leg. Play cannot continue without following runners passing R3. What then?