The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I guess the last two posters forgot this used to occur in Major League Baseball -- specfically the American League in the late 1990s.

Who really cares about that?
I remember seeing it occasionally. It was tacky then too.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 02:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I remember seeing it occasionally. It was tacky then too.
Eh. As long as there are more than 2 umpires, I don't see it as being tacky. Clearly, YM(does) vary.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well the first challenge was made just a few seconds ago. The umpire got the call right.

Peace
Rut how long was the delay?

and

What specifically was challeneged?

Also, do you see LL managers stalling to see if "someone" can assist them before making the challenge ala football? In the NFL one of the other coaches (most notably the guys in the upstairs booth) sometimes notifys the head Coach to challenge or they wait to see the play replayed on the Huge scoreboards.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post

and

Also, do you see LL managers stalling to see if "someone" can assist them before making the challenge ala football? In the NFL one of the other coaches (most notably the guys in the upstairs booth) sometimes notifys the head Coach to challenge or they wait to see the play replayed on the Huge scoreboards.

Pete Booth
Pete, I happened to see it also. Tag play at HP. While he was out of the frame of the camera shot, it looks like PU made the call 3BL extended.
Close play, PU got it right. Challenge/review process did not take a lot of time...possibly less than a minute.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mark as I stated in another thread LL has sold their soul. IMO, MLB might be somewhat behind this idea. After all it was the LLWS that FIRST had IR before MLB adopted it.
It's actually the other way around. ESPN uses little league to put pressure on MLB to expand instant replay. MLB would rather keep instant replay out of the equation. This is another reason for the expanded coverage at the LL WS. The more games on TV, the better chance that ESPN can get that one play that puts pressure on MLB to give in.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

I'll bet if MLB sold it to the umpires by giving them 5 man crews, with one in the booth, it might fly. 20% of your games are in air conditioned comfort? Hmmmm.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 09:33pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fittske View Post
It's actually the other way around. ESPN uses little league to put pressure on MLB to expand instant replay. MLB would rather keep instant replay out of the equation. This is another reason for the expanded coverage at the LL WS. The more games on TV, the better chance that ESPN can get that one play that puts pressure on MLB to give in.
Wow, you've added a whole new meaning to the term, "thinking outside the box".
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 09:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

and

The delay was probably a couple of minutes I think. But the call was obviously correct on the umpire's part. This was a tag play at the plate where a runner was tagged out before getting the plate (tag was high).

Quote:

Pete Booth
No this challenge was pretty cut and dry. The coach wanted to challenge the play because it would have had them take the lead in the game. And unless someone has some feed to figure this out before hand, I do not think that is possible to do. Not sure there is any allowance for video equipment to be available to the coaches or bench area. It went pretty smooth, but this as a very obvious call.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Wow, you've added a whole new meaning to the term, "thinking outside the box".
I wish it was thinking outside the box.... but this is true.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Espn= awful

The LL talk is interesting, because as I looked on SportsCenter, they ran with the LL disputed call, then the next reported game was an MLB contest where Ed Hickcox double clutched a banger at 1st, out then safe. Yeah, he was too quick on the call, but he changed it and got it right.

ESPN would rather throw umpires under the bus for ratings in a kids game, just like they want to throw MLB umpires and other officials under the bus for ratings and controversy. So many years ago, when ESPN was just starting, it was such a great network; it was for sports junkies to see sports we didn't get to see, and even had programs where they taught people how to do certain things in sports.

Now it (ESPN) is a bigger circus than Barnum and Bailey, and not nearly as entertaining.