The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Stay in the box

LA - SF tonite. Early in the game PU, Joe West, asks for batter's bat and measures the back line of the box which still exists except for about a foot in the middle. He then then tells the guy to not step over the line ( I think). Was there a previous history about this? Because I think the first move is to say move up. These guys have let Lance Berkman and who knows who else start way back there all the time. What got Joe West to enforce and measure the line so early. Does the home team have a reputation for mismarking the lines?
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

This seemed very strange to me. First of all, the lines were still visible and it didn't seem like Casey Blake was even close to being out of the batter's box.

You would almost believe that Joe was giving the announcers a reason to talk about him and the garlic fries he had bought for Jon Miller.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes you get a complaint from the other team or catcher and so with hardly any line you take care of it. Basically it quits the whinning. You stay there and you stay there and if either cross the line, well.

I'm not saying this is what happened or happens in the MLB, but I can't believe that whinning is limited to only certain types of ball. And sometimes even they have to be treated like 12 yr olds.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

I think the opposing coach, Botchy, ( spelling approximate) instigated this although I can't see how from what I saw on the TV but googling it brings some evidence that West responded to Botchy. I find that hard to believe. But if it did happen than Botchy has got some lapdog umpires, McClelland and that screw up on the 2nd visit and now West, responding to some BS from the dugout, if he did. If not what was he doing? Please tell me there's a better explanation.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
I think the opposing coach, Botchy, ( spelling approximate) instigated this although I can't see how from what I saw on the TV but googling it brings some evidence that West responded to Botchy. I find that hard to believe. But if it did happen than Botchy has got some lapdog umpires, McClelland and that screw up on the 2nd visit and now West, responding to some BS from the dugout, if he did. If not what was he doing? Please tell me there's a better explanation.
Yes, of course, that's it. The umpires are all willing to be Bochy's "lap dogs" on national television and in front of their supervisor. There can't be any other reason that one crew can err and another can do something you disagree with. Yep, that's gotta be it.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Umpjim, are you a fan or an umpire?
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 12:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

Bruce Bochy is secretly a mad scientist with the ability to control the umpires subconciously. That's why the Giants are leading the NL West right now...oh wait a minute.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You take the time to Google the information, but you don't take the time to see how to spell Bochy?

And do you really think West was bowing down to Bochy?
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know who did what which is why I had ? after my questions. After much (never mind it was not that much research) I'm guessing that West was showing Blake how a pissant contest works. Blake ruffled feathers about Lilly cheating toward the plate and not being on the rubber in some previous game. West was showing Blake how this works. You show us up about a few inches, I show you up about an inch or two. If somebody can shed some light on this your welcome. What I would do with the info; not much, I'm not in their league.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
This seemed very strange to me. First of all, the lines were still visible and it didn't seem like Casey Blake was even close to being out of the batter's box.

You would almost believe that Joe was giving the announcers a reason to talk about him and the garlic fries he had bought for Jon Miller.
Just an afterthought; When did Jon Miller make the Hall of Fame? Was it the previous Saturday so the Sunday game was the appropriate venue to send up the fries. Or was it some earlier date and even though Joe West was in the game on Saturday it wasn't the opportune time to send up the fries?
Old Wed Aug 04, 2010, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

I don't when Miller was inducted (two weeks ago?) but it was during this game that West sent Miller the famous garlic fries. Someone else and people would say it was classy move. West does it and people assume it's to sell more CD's.