The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The retreating thing got called in the WCWS super-regionals. Not being familiar enough with SB rules all I could think was WTF?

After thinking about it on and off for weeks I still think WTF.
No idea on the reasoning. My dad actually asked about the play, and asked if baseball had a similar rule.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

I agree - that rule is not consistent with other rules in ASA. I can understand why they want to call BR out (I don't agree... but I understand) - but it should merely be an out for running out of the basepath (pretend the line from BR to the plate - not an actual base in this order - doesn't exist, I guess) - not interference and all runners return.

The reason I don't agree with the rule, even though I understand it, is that it is also not consistent with other rules. You wouldn't call R1 on 3rd out for retreating to 3rd to avoid a tag, even if R1 was forced. Why is BR different?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 09:51am
Livin' The Dream

thats the problem with doing baseball and softball....differences and keeping them sorted out. I think I am leaning towards liking the softball rule that the runner is called out. Now let me think on why.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 10:50am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1ns View Post
thats the problem with doing baseball and softball....differences and keeping them sorted out. I think I am leaning towards liking the softball rule that the runner is called out. Now let me think on why.
From a baseball perspective, I strongly dislike the softball rule.

I like the baseball rule for baseball games. There is a base running strategy to not running into a tag and making them either chase you or take the force at 1B.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I like the baseball rule for baseball games. There is a base running strategy to not running into a tag and making them either chase you or take the force at 1B.
I agree, and feel softball should change to match. I can't see WHY it was added in the first place.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2010, 10:06pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
From a baseball perspective, I strongly dislike the softball rule.

Yes, indeed, there is strategy. Runner on 2B only, batter bunts to the first baseman who, moving in, attempts to tag him. The batter-runner stops and retreats so the first baseman will burn time either trying to tag him or go to touch first base, giving the runner on 2B an opportunity to advance to 3B. Seen it many times in 30 years. Strategy. That's why I do baseball and not softball. Well, one of a number of reasons...

JJ
Old Fri Jul 16, 2010, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

I do a lot of softball, and I never liked that "BR can't retreat" rule. (In ASA, runners return TOI, by the way.) But there's also a rule that a BR who takes off her helmet is out, but forced runners remain forced.

Aside from the obvious things, softball treats many, many plays differently. Obstruction, nullifying runs, what can and can't be appealed, awarding of bases, runners hit by batted ball, what constitutes a force on appeal, no last time by, BOO; it goes on and on.

There are also some softball plays—right in the casebook—in which the offense benefits because of deliberate interference by a BR or runner.