The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Override call

I saw an NCAA game in which a runner on first tried to steal second. The catcher threw to second. It was a close play. The base umpire signalled "safe!". Immediately, the HP umpire pointed to second base and shouted "HE'S OUT!!!".

Can the HP umpire override a judgement call made by a base umpire? There was no further discussion. He was out. (He looked out to me.)
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaucer View Post
I saw an NCAA game in which a runner on first tried to steal second. The catcher threw to second. It was a close play. The base umpire signalled "safe!". Immediately, the HP umpire pointed to second base and shouted "HE'S OUT!!!".

Can the HP umpire override a judgement call made by a base umpire? There was no further discussion. He was out. (He looked out to me.)
I really can't imagine an umpire who's been around long enough to get an NCAA game pulling an "overrule". Something else must have happened.

Perhaps the batter struck out then interferred with the throw to 2B.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
I really can't imagine an umpire who's been around long enough to get an NCAA game pulling an "overrule". Something else must have happened.

I didn't see the play but interference is a strong possibility.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

1+, this is the only explanation that I can think of. There is no way an umpire at that level will overrule another without some extraneous action

-Josh
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

I am with you Rich. Surely he didn't just overrule his partner. Big time NO NO.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

There was no interference call. I saw the play, and would agree with everyone else in the stands that the runner was tagged out at second. It is my guess that the base umpire's view was blocked and he failed to see the tag, while the HP ump had a better view.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
There was no interference call. I saw the play, and would agree with everyone else in the stands that the runner was tagged out at second. It is my guess that the base umpire's view was blocked and he failed to see the tag, while the HP ump had a better view.
I don't believe it. Where's the video?
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, this can't be true. HP ump would never decide on his own that he had a "better view". Never. At most, should U2 be convinced he missed something and went to talk to PU, PU would tell him what he saw, and then U2 would decide what to do with the information.

In fact, if this wasn't interference and PU did what you describe here, you have a protestable situation, as there is a RULE that says PU cannot do this.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a far more reasonable explanation than an umpire working that level violated a very basic rule.

What game was it?
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with walt. I want video to watch.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Assess the probabilities:

1. NCAA tourney ump goes against decades of training and overrules his partner on a call 122 feet away.

2. The OP missed something.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Assess the probabilities:

1. NCAA tourney ump goes against decades of training and overrules his partner on a call 122 feet away.

2. The OP missed something.
Yep, this would never happen in any college level ball. Had to be interference by a retired batter or something for PU to make a call.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 11:22pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:

How many outs? Full count?

I agree w/ the other guys here...no way does PU do as the post states.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tell us what game and when, we can find the video...