Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Consider it payback for you yelling at me.
I didn't see it but if you were yelled at it was probably well deserved.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 09:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Previous thread.....and he never lets me forget it.......

PS - It wasn't really a yell....but, it was well deserved! Good point!
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
OK, poor choice of words on my part then. Here is a citation:

Case Book: 7.3.4 SITUATION B: B1 is at bat with a three-ball, two-strike count. He swings at the next pitch and the ball hits his right fist and, without contacting the bat, goes into foul territory. F2 retrieves the ball and throws to F3 who is covering first base and tags B1 with the ball. RULING: As soon as the ball hit the batter it became dead. B1 is declared out. To have the play ruled a foul ball, the ball would have to have hit the bat first before it touched his hand.

So I guess I am using a poor choice of words. All I am saying is that if he is offering at the pitch and it hits his hands, that does not mean he gets first base. That means the ball is dead is all. No more play until the ball is put back into play by PU. I understand what you guys are saying and I really need to use a better way to explain to the Coaches when something like this happens to me. Thank you for the lesson.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK47 View Post
So I guess I am using a poor choice of words. All I am saying is that if he is offering at the pitch and it hits his hands, that does not mean he gets first base. That means the ball is dead is all.
His not getting first base has nothing to do with the ball being dead. The ball is dead whenever it hits the batter. He is not awarded first base because he offered. Hence the expression, "dead ball strike."
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 10:51am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
You cut me so deeply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Previous thread.....and he never lets me forget it.......

PS - It wasn't really a yell....but, it was well deserved! Good point!
I think I'm done now.

Quote:
I understand what you guys are saying and I really need to use a better way to explain to the Coaches when something like this happens to me. Thank you for the lesson.
The easiest method, I think, is to just plainly tell him the rule.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Consider it payback for you yelling at me.
... it's for your yelling at me
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

I never said I was perfect.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Bottom 8th

Batter showing bunt. PU said he didn't offer, batter was hit by the pitch. Then they got together and ruled he offered.

I was just coming back into the room when they showed the last replay. I didn't think he offered - waiting for another look.

If you saw it, your thoughts?

LMan: I deleted my thread... you win this one.
I didn't think he offered either...the Oklahoma coach had to be restrained by the third base coach...he was not happy.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I didn't think he offered either...the Oklahoma coach had to be restrained by the third base coach...he was not happy.
I guess I wonder why a grown man has to be restrained.

Of course, I also watched the Wally Backman video yesterday and couldn't stop laughing -- I wouldn't hire that clown to manage a video store, but apparently the Mets hired him to manage their short A team.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I understand Byron.

Now understand what I am saying. The ball hit the bat. I was incorrect in saying the ball hit his hands, it did not hit his hands. Ball hit bat, ball went foul. That is a foul ball, that is what happened. That is a strike. No matter if he had tried to pull his bat out of the way, which to me it seemed like he was doing however he didnt pull it fast enough. Had the ball hit his hands, YES I agree that it would be a DEAD BALL. No matter where the ball lands. It could go into his damn pocket for all I care.

So can we all now get past the bad quote on my part "The hands are part of the bat"? That was a bad expression on my part. In that case what I was trying to refer to was had he offered at the ball and NOT pulled the bat back, then he would not be awarded 1st base. The ball would be DEAD with a strike added to his count unless that was for strike three. Do we agree with that?
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So can we all now get past the bad quote on my part "The hands are part of the bat"? That was a bad expression on my part.
It was way worse than a bad quote! This "hands are part of the bat" is a misunderstanding that just doesn't go away. By stating this phrase seriously, you should expect to get razzed until you begin to really understand how irritating it is to hear this exact phrase over and over from coaches, players, announcers, and spectators. . .and yes, sometimes even from umpires.

By rule, the hands are never ever considered to be part of the bat, so please never say or write that (other than to mock those who say it seriously).
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welpe View Post
i never said i was perfect.
How did Yogi put it?

"If people were perfect, then they wouldn't be."

I think that's how it went. Most of that stuff he says sounds oddly wise.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

understood celebur. I totally deserve the razzing and will take it. I just didnt mean it like it came out. As I mentioned I again have learned something. "Open mouth, insert foot".
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you are offering at a pitch, then your hands are a part of the bat. Nothing more needs to be discussed.
Why do people say completely nonsensical crap like this? I had a PARTNER (a generally good one, and not a newbie) tell me exactly the same thing this weekend. Don't mislead the newbies with this kind of nonsense.

If you are offering at a pitch, IT IS A STRIKE. If it hit you, it's also a dead ball. Let me ask you this - assume the hands are part of the bat... You have two strikes on you... you offer and the ball goes A) foul, or B) fair. If the hands were part of the bat when you offer on a pitch, like you said, then in A, you still have 2 strikes on you and in B, you have a fair ball and should run to first. Now, Mr. Umpire - is that correct in EITHER case? No. You are out in both cases. Dead ball when it hit you. Strike three because you were swigning.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

And pardon the venom... my bad for coming late to the party... but I about had a fit when my partner told me the same thing you said, just two days ago.

West Houston Mike