The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Illegal Pitch

Just joined the site but have been reading for a while. I am not an ump, just a youth coach who enjoys reading the intricate details of baseball rules.

My question: USSSA rules which are OBR. No runners, pitcher in windup, takes a step back with his free foot and stops. Balk with runners, but is it an illegal pitch with no runners and do you give the batter a ball?

Same situation, but this time the pitcher begins in stretch comes set, raises his free leg and stops when he recognizes he has no runners on and can go from the full windup. illegal pitch or no play?
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Nothing. Move on. Next actual pitch. Only way it is a ball is if the amount of time between pitches exceeds 12 seconds. But, who keeps up with that.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

With no runners on, starting and stopping is just a no-pitch in OBR. In FED, award the batter a ball.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tominator
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
With no runners on, starting and stopping is just a no-pitch in OBR. In FED, award the batter a ball.
Do you have a FED reference for this? I had it last night and awarded a ball for Illegal pitch. Was asked about it, stated the reason for it, but I couldn't find the reference as I went to look it up later just to confirm.

Thanks.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 10:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator View Post
Do you have a FED reference for this? I had it last night and awarded a ball for Illegal pitch. Was asked about it, stated the reason for it, but I couldn't find the reference as I went to look it up later just to confirm.

Thanks.
Rule 6-1-2 "After he starts his movement to pitch, he must continue the motion without interruption or alteration."

PENALTY: (Art. 1,2,3): The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch occurs. If there is no runner, a ball is awarded the batter.. If there is a runner, such illegal act is a balk. In both situations, the umpire signals dead ball.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 01:42pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Rule 6-1-2 "After he starts his movement to pitch, he must continue the motion without interruption or alteration."

PENALTY: (Art. 1,2,3): The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch occurs. If there is no runner, a ball is awarded the batter.. If there is a runner, such illegal act is a balk. In both situations, the umpire signals dead ball.
I think you might have the right key, but the wrong key hole.

You're talking about an illegal pitch, since there was never a release we don't have a pitch. I've got a start over and try again.

Now if the pitcher was doing something illegal before he stopped, I would have a ball added to the count.

IMO, the penalty phrase at the end of Art. 1,2,3 paints with too broad of a brush.