The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Batter interference...7-3-5a not 7-3-5c

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but....(FED) Batter squares to bunt, leans over the plate, and then waves the bat up and down in a circular-type motion. The way I have dealt with this in the past is to tell the batter not to do it again, explain why, and they have always (at least so far) complied but after reading the rule, I don't think I'm handling it the right way.

Based on rule 7-3-5a (A batter shall not interfere with the catcher's fielding or throwing by: leaning over home plate) would you just call the batter out no matter what based on the rule? In lower level ball it is probably better to explain. Has this ever happened to any of you and if so how did you handle it? Thanks.
Old Sat Sep 21, 2002, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Batter interference...7-3-5a not 7-3-5c

Quote:
Originally posted by spots101
I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but....(FED) Batter squares to bunt, leans over the plate, and then waves the bat up and down in a circular-type motion. The way I have dealt with this in the past is to tell the batter not to do it again, explain why, and they have always (at least so far) complied but after reading the rule, I don't think I'm handling it the right way.

Based on rule 7-3-5a (A batter shall not interfere with the catcher's fielding or throwing by: leaning over home plate) would you just call the batter out no matter what based on the rule? In lower level ball it is probably better to explain. Has this ever happened to any of you and if so how did you handle it? Thanks.
This is during a steal attempt? If the leaning is such that the batter is hindering F2's view of the pitch (WAY out of the ordinary; obvious to all; very unlikely to happen), you could call interference, otherwise, it's just a "protection" swing -- call the strike.
Old Sat Sep 21, 2002, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,

I'm not sure I'm clear on a protection swing. Do you mean call the strike no matter where the ball is in the zone as a penalty for the action?

What the batter typically does is move the bat up and down and then pull it back not ever wanting to actually bunt the ball. The motion is an attempt (my assumption) to get the corners to move in. I have yet to see a batter do this and actually bunt. This typically is not during a steal attempt although it could go along with it.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Spots, inexperienced players sometimes do the bat waving thingy hoping it will distract the pitcher in his delivery. It has little to do with the catcher receiving the ball. Still, some batters will take a cut at a pitch when there teammate is stealing in hopes that the cut (legal) will make it more difficult for the catcher in his attempt to retire the runner. Neither is considered batter's interference. To do so is being very over-officious.

The Fed rule of "leaning" over the plate specifically addresses the fact that it's possible for a batter to remain in the box and still interfere with a catcher's attempt to retire a stealing runner. It is seldom effective and seldom called for leaning unless obvious. Yet, as an example, after the pitch is complete the batter may not stick out his arms or bat over the plate to interfere with the catcher. Despite remaining in the box, such action could be judged as batter interference.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spots101
Bob,

I'm not sure I'm clear on a protection swing. Do you mean call the strike no matter where the ball is in the zone as a penalty for the action?
Well, I always call a strike no matter where the ball is *in the zone*.

Quote:
What the batter typically does is move the bat up and down and then pull it back not ever wanting to actually bunt the ball. The motion is an attempt (my assumption) to get the corners to move in. I have yet to see a batter do this and actually bunt. This typically is not during a steal attempt although it could go along with it.
I usually see this on a 3-0 pitch -- try to "force" the pitcher to miss the zone.

Ignore it or tell the batter (quietly) not to do it. If it happens at older levels, the batter just might be successful in distracting the pitcher -- the distrated pitcher just might hit the batter.