The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Fair Foul blocked from view

I work both baseball and slow pitch softball. This happened in a softball game, but could happen in baseball....
Ball hit down right field line, I knew it was going to be close call, so I was running down first base line to get a clear view of where the ball lands. I'm about 8 feet from first base, I stop to see the ball land- and the first baseman at the last minute steps into my line of view. I get completely blocked, but can tell it was a coin toss. The batter keeps running, the right fielder never lets up on the play, so I let it play out. The first baseman was the only one that makes any motion that its a foul ball.
First baseman looks at me wondering why I didn't call it foul and I tell him that he blocked my view and I didn't see it land.
So, what would you have called? And how do I prevent this from happening again?
By the way, the play didn't affect the outcome of the game, it was a blowout.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

S**t happens.

Even if you set up differently and someone steps in front of you, you still can't see sometimes. You have to rely on the actions of the players and make a decision. Maybe your partner sees it, maybe not.

Firstbase, "Hey Blue that was foul." May have been son, I will never know because you blocked me out. I will check with my partner. No partner or he didn't see it, well your call stands.

It Happens.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes, if you're a step or two off the line, you dont' get blocked out and you can still see where the ball hits.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
S**t happens.

Even if you set up differently and someone steps in front of you, you still can't see sometimes. You have to rely on the actions of the players and make a decision. Maybe your partner sees it, maybe not.

Firstbase, "Hey Blue that was foul." May have been son, I will never know because you blocked me out. I will check with my partner. No partner or he didn't see it, well your call stands.

It Happens.
Yes it happens to everyone sooner or later. The ones that i really find hard are the pop ups right behind F3 and you have F3, the BR, the first base coach and sometimes the F4 all getting in the way of your vision.

But you have to go with what you thought and play on.
As Bob said try to get an angle, but sometimes you just have to use your instincts and the reaction of the players.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Of course, the reactions of players is not always helpful. We've all had that ball land on the line (once per game in 10U, right?) and stop, and as we point toward the field, all the fielders stop trying. Compound this with the time the BR also returned to the box and got his bat. (Had a nice conversation after the game with other blues about whether the "backing up down the 1st base line" rule applied in such a case). All the while, PU is pointing fair, waiting for someone to notice him.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 05:58pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Try to get an angle and sell the heck out of it. You have to make your call one way or another...what any player/coach says on that call isn't going to change it....if you're working 1-man...you don't have to talk to anybody...
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 06:25pm
Is this a legal title?

Call it fair--every time.

If a sh!thouse erupts where the stands, the bench--everybody--goes nuts, you know you missed it. Get together with your partner and tell him to tell you it was foul. Then overturn it and send everybody back.

You can't do that if you call it foul and you missed it.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Get an angle and make the right call.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 07:43pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Call it fair--every time.

If a sh!thouse erupts where the stands, the bench--everybody--goes nuts, you know you missed it. Get together with your partner and tell him to tell you it was foul. Then overturn it and send everybody back.

You can't do that if you call it foul and you missed it.
yeah, if you're going to err w/ a partner, call it fair first...you can always go back to foul and return the runners. tough to place 'em if you reverse it unless it's a homerun.