The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Francisco Rodriguez bounce or stop?

Watching Mets vs Yankees (Diclaimer: I have no loyalties here, I hope they both lose)

K-rod sometimes does not stop, he merely bounces off the belt.

1) Why are they letting him get away with this?

2) Would he get away with it if he were a rookie?

3) Would Bob Devidson have a coronary if he were in this game?

Joe
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

As far as I watch MLB and its umpiring here is how I understand this.

1) As long as it is what he normally does and is not a change used to deceive someone they normally allow pitcher to get away with it. K-Rod is not the only one to get this "courtesy" I know one of the Mariner relievers does the same thing and doesn't get called, it even gets mentioned once in a while.

2) Early in the season probably not, but after about Mid-May most likely he would as it would be understood by that time it is his normal motion.

3) Unlikely, the balks I see Davidson don't involve not stopping, he calls everything else possible, but unless blatantly horrible I haven't seen him call a borderline "no stop".

Jasper
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratref View Post
As far as I watch MLB and its umpiring here is how I understand this.

1) As long as it is what he normally does and is not a change used to deceive someone they normally allow pitcher to get away with it....

2) Early in the season probably not, but after about Mid-May most likely he would as it would be understood by that time it is his normal motion.

Jasper
Jasper,

Your understanding is incorrect.

Whether or not it is the pitcher's "normal motion" has nothing to do with whether or not a balk is properly called.

JM
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 01:15pm
Veteran College Umpire

MLB pitchers just don't get called for not stopping. I don't know why not. They just don't.

JJ
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Jasper,

Whether or not it is the pitcher's "normal motion" has nothing to do with whether or not a balk is properly called.

JM
I agree that "normal motion" isn't the written rule. There is some degree of "understanding" at the MLB level on what will / won't be called.

I have long maintained that trying to apply MLB balk standards to the level of ball most of us call (including up to fairly high-level college) is futile.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
MLB pitchers just don't get called for not stopping. I don't know why not. They just don't.

JJ
+1

Last I heard, PBUC instruction was to enforce "discernible stop," meaning more than changing directions. MLB seems to allow changing directions to count.

One more reason not to take our cues from MLB.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Jasper,

JM
What about my understanding is incorrect?

No body ever mentioned "properly called" the discussion is what was likely to be called and in MLB for what ever reason correctly or incorrectly "no stop" balk are rarely if ever called, epically if that is part of a pitchers "normal motion".

Now for properly called you would be correct, but again that is not the question at hand.

Jasper
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratref View Post
No body ever mentioned "properly called" the discussion is what was likely to be called and in MLB for what ever reason correctly or incorrectly "no stop" balk are rarely if ever called, epically if that is part of a pitchers "normal motion".
MLB umpires never consider whether a move is part of a pitcher's "normal motion," a term that does not appear in Rule 8. So that has no impact whatever on how likely a move is to be ruled a balk.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
MLB umpires never consider whether a move is part of a pitcher's "normal motion," a term that does not appear in Rule 8. So that has no impact whatever on how likely a move is to be ruled a balk.
Is this tongue in cheek?

I think that "normal motion" clearly plays an enormous part in the way they call balks. No one said that "normal motion" is in the book.

What I was interested in with K-Rod is that he does it sometimes and not always. This is far worse than letting him get away with it if he did it every time. It gives him a huge advantage.

Joe
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Is this tongue in cheek?

I think that "normal motion" clearly plays an enormous part in the way they call balks. No one said that "normal motion" is in the book.

What I was interested in with K-Rod is that he does it sometimes and not always. This is far worse than letting him get away with it if he did it every time. It gives him a huge advantage.

Joe
Not tongue in cheek, but based on pro instruction. I can't tell you what's in their heads, but I can tell you how they were taught to apply the balk rule.

If I had to speculate about why the "bounce" isn't balked, I would guess that the MLB umpire supervisors have told the staff to call it that way. Remember, those supervisors are some of the oldest umpires alive, and that's how it was called back in the day.

It's not called that way in MiLB.

As for K-Rod, his delivery is so quick, Ricky Henderson would think twice about stealing on him, even on that loopy deuce. I don't see any advantage gained.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Normal Motion and Natural Delivery are simply BS!

If the pitcher's "normal motion" or "natural delivery" is a balk move, then it's a balk!

I love when I hear "But Blue, that's his natural delivery!"
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Normal

It is not the first time. Pitchers became so use to taking a jab step toward 1b during the wind up that the rules were relaxed to permit it and then changed to allow it.

Many MLB pitchers pause two or three times before settling into the set position. It looks like their glove is "climbing down" a ladder. The pitching coaches certainly allow it. The teams allow it and the umpires now allow it. It won't be long until the rulebook will allow it.

Pitchers are walking a fine line within the rule. KRod has done it for several years now. But I do believe a balk was called against him last year. A balk, one. Can someone check? KRod motion isn't new. He did it last year. He's not alone, as other closers do it too. There are tmes when the final pause is more pronounced than the previous ones. He also tends to come set over his right hip.

Last edited by SAump; Tue May 25, 2010 at 07:03pm.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Watch MR in New York sometime.
Old Sun May 30, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I love when I hear "But Blue, that's his natural delivery!"
Reply...Then he needs to change his nature.
Old Sun May 30, 2010, 04:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post

JJ

And as the best pitchers in the world you would expect them to be held to the rules more stringently that H.S. players.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio